Would you unfriend or blacklist someone over politics?

Discussion in 'Politics' started by 6-eyed shaman, Oct 9, 2018.

1. 6-eyed shaman

6-eyed shaman Sock-eye salmon

Politics can be a very divisive topic for lots of people. So divisive that it can tear relationships and families apart. Perhaps you might have seen it happen to someone you know, or have experienced it yourselves...

Lately I've been reading articles and watching video testimonies of people who've lost their friends, and are no longer invited to family functions because they decided to become politically outspoken. Worst of all, is when family members decide to break all contact over a voting decision made by a loved one.

Personally, I've never had family members blacklist me. My extended family is a mixed bag of evangelical christians, republicans and democrats. We've had our disagreements over religion and politics, but it never got super hostile. I have lost some friends over some topics because they were too thin-skinned to handle opposing points of view. Looking back, they weren't good friends anyway. Lots of my friends have vastly different viewpoints to my own. But realistically, I'm not all that politically outspoken to my friends in real life as I am online in message boards.

I wouldn't break ties with friends over political views, unless they talked politics non-stop regarding a in issue I strongly disagree with them on. Or if they felt that political violence is justifiable. If they ran for public office on a platform I disagree with, I will not support them. I especially wouldn't break ties with any of my family members if they had bad politics I didn't like. So hearing stories about family separation over politics is rather heartbreaking for me.

Here, this op-ed piece justifies blocking and breaking ties with friends and family over politics Unfriend over Politics? More Likely than You’d Think.

In a world affected by social media, it seems that politics has become more divisive than ever as we see friends and family members liking, sharing, and posting some extreme political positions. Blocking friends over politics is more common than ever.

Liberals are more likely to unfriend you over politics — online and off

While the article above may suggest it, I'm not attacking liberals specifically. This issue goes both ways. Plenty of conservatives have broken ties with their left wing friends and family members for being too thin skinned. It's still wrong in my opinion.

Worst of all, is journalists promoting the idea of family separation over politics

Last edited: Oct 9, 2018
    Dude111, Baldbever and Eric! like this.
  2. Meliai

Meliai Banned

No i dont really care. Especially with being in a red state, I wouldnt have many friends or family left if I let politics come between us.

I do have some friends and family members that are so obnoxious about politics that I refuse to discuss it with them or listen to them if they bring it up, but I tell them how obnoxious they're being in love and good fun

6-eyed shaman likes this.
  3. Tyrsonswood

Tyrsonswood Senior Moment Lifetime Supporter

Yeah, you are setting out bait so you can later. Come on... fess up.

4. Adamskiffle

Adamskiffle Members

No, unless they had super-extreme politics........like yay.......go Nazis!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Deidre likes this.
  5. Deidre

Deidre Follow thy heart

No. I probably discuss politics on here with y’all more than with my husband and friends. lol My dad likes to get into it with me but he’s a pot stirrer. :relaxed:

6. pensfan13

pensfan13 Senior Member

They would have to be pretty extreme for me to do so. I dont share the same politics as anyone I ever talked to so I tend to disagree with everyone's, and im not about to block everyone

7. bft4evr

bft4evr Senior Member

I think differing opinions - and discussing them rationally - is a great thing to do. Its always good to hear a different side of the story. I know my viewpoints have been swayed on more than one occasion by doing that.

eggsprog likes this.
  8. MeAgain

MeAgain Dazed & Confused Lifetime Supporter Super Moderator

I don't talk politics personally with anyone who doesn't have the same leanings as I do, it's useless.

Same as religion.

snowtiggernd and scratcho like this.
  9. Tyrsonswood

Tyrsonswood Senior Moment Lifetime Supporter

[​IMG]

10. scratcho

scratcho Lifetime Supporter Lifetime Supporter

All my old friends are republicans. Fox type republicans. We decided years ago that if we continued to talk politics--that would be the end of the friendly, fun relationships that went back to the 1940s. It's worked pretty well--we haven't even mentioned trump, the legislature or anything else political for years. And they do, without comment, turn Fox off when I show up. "preciate that ,old ones.

eggsprog and 6-eyed shaman like this.
  11. Irminsul

Irminsul Valkyrie

No, never. Fact is, nobody really agrees with anything political that I do anyway, so I'd have zero friends if I did that.

I know people are different. I don't have kids, so certain political agendas aren't going to rouse me like they do others with kids etc. That alone only goes to show how stupid it would be to disregard a friend based on a political ideal or agenda. What works for me won't work for them. Ain't no use in arguing about it.

Alles für Deutschland :D

12. Vanilla Gorilla

Vanilla Gorilla Go Ape

They are going to cut off certain friends and family when they have kids, thats going to be the main driving fast, then when the kids grow up and are out if that danger zone, they will be back in contact.

Unless its extreme political views, politics isnt going to be the real reason

13. Noserider

Noserider Goofy-Footed Member

As long as they are rational when debating politics and not resorting to name calling and bashing and all of that, why not? I have friends with drastically different political views, and we get along fine.

14. I'minmyunderwear

I'minmyunderwear Newbie

well, if i had been college buddies with hitler or something like that, then yeah. but standard real world situations, it's very unlikely.

especially living around here, i have no real choice. most of my friends here are the types who shed tears over kneeling football players.

15. Okiefreak

Okiefreak Senior Member

My parents were militant ultra-conservative Republican activists (it was like being raised by Fox and Friends) and most of my close friends are Trump supporters. And of course I live in a red state. So being around people with whom I disagree intensely about politics and whose opinions I don't respect is what I'm used to. It gives me first hand exposure to right-wing viewpoints. I have no problem with it. I think they're out to lunch and hopeless, but I can relate to them in other areas. I love them anyway. It's good Christian discipline.

pineapple08 and scratcho like this.
  16. tumbling.dice

tumbling.dice Visitor

Some time ago I posted on FB that I would unfollow anyone who mentioned anything regarding politics, left or right. And I've done it too. The only reason I'm on FB is to see pictures of my brother's family anyway.

17. YouFreeMe

YouFreeMe Visitor

Nah, but I have been on the receiving end of such a block or unfriend. No great loss.

I was much more aggressive with political talk when I was younger, now I don't bother unless I know someone is open to talking about it reasonably.

Eric! likes this.
  18. GuerrillaLorax

GuerrillaLorax along the peripheries of civilization

It would have to be quite extreme, like consistent blatant racism, homophobia, sexism and other oppressive stances.

I've lost and gained friends over politics. The losing was not on my part. I've severely distanced myself from family who hold pretty strong anti-Indigenous viewpoints and some even white-supremacist beliefs. But I couldn't care less of someone was a conservative as most of my family are. Although I have no intention on making any of them close friends.

19. Irminsul

Irminsul Valkyrie

My dad says its best not to talk religion or politics with anybody. He says opinions are like assholes and that everybody has one.

tumbling.dice and Eric! like this.
  20. snowtiggernd

snowtiggernd Member

A friend of mine's parents were John birchers. They lived over across the river. There is also an Evangelical Free Church over there. Lot of my friends are conservatives too.