Would you go to the Moon or Mars?

Discussion in 'Science and Technology' started by straightma1e, Dec 11, 2022.

?

Given your age and the time to travel to either orb what would you select?

Poll closed Feb 9, 2023.
  1. Moon Only

3 vote(s)
    25.0%
  2. Mars Only

2 vote(s)
    16.7%
  3. Both

1 vote(s)
    8.3%
  4. Neither

6 vote(s)
    50.0%
  1. straightma1e

straightma1e Members

The Artemis expedition is retuning to Earth today. The unmanned space craft orbited the Moon and extended it's path further than any other craft that is to return to Earth. The goal is to place mankind on the Moon again building sustainable living there. An experiment to advance habitation on the planet Mars.

Given my age I would opt for a Moon journey but would have to refrain from going to Mars. I would love to go to both but by the time travel to Mars becomes available I know I would possibly be too old. But for the Moon? A positive yes, I want to go.

Toker and hotwater like this.
  2. J Mike

J Mike Members

Fuck no to both. Freaking crazy. I used to think maybe I would, but no mas. Further, I think we should stop using taxpayer money for this crazy shit.

3. Dude111

Dude111 An Awesome Dude HipForums Supporter

Neither...........

4. hotwater

hotwater Senior Member Lifetime Supporter

Jupiter - ride on the back of a Dolphin after seeing the latest photos from the Juno probe

[​IMG]

5. Piobaire

Piobaire Village Idiot

NASA is the Military-Industrial Complex in sheep's clothing.

J Mike likes this.
  6. Peaceful_LotusFlower

Peaceful_LotusFlower Member

As much I love space and love learning about astronomy, I don't think I'd like to go to either of them. Just thinking about it makes me nervous.

7. FritzDaKatx2

FritzDaKatx2 Vinegar Taster

Not far enough in either case, imho the whole point to space travel is to escape our inevitably doomed solar system for another, today's astronauts are yesterday's jet fighter test pilots.
    I'll wait till they work the bugs out if I'm around that long

8. wilsjane

wilsjane Nutty Professor HipForums Supporter

Definitely the moon.
    People have been calling me a lunatic for years, so I would feel at home. :D:D

9. NubbinsUp

NubbinsUp Lifetime Supporter Lifetime Supporter

I've never put either on my list of places to visit.

If Mars hadn't lost its magnetic poles and its atmosphere with them, and if I had the technology of 100 years from now available, then maybe. As it is, I'll take the islands of the Aegean on this planet for my travel destinations.

FritzDaKatx2 likes this.
  10. Echtwelniet

Echtwelniet Members

On a personal basis, ill go to mars..............nothing to loose.

For humankind/progress it might be better to start of with the moon(jump off point to Mars)............experience/tech/resources/ect.........i do think the future of humans(if we dont kill eachother off first)....lies off planet:D

Going to Mars for Propaganda is ..........

Mzzls

11. soulpoker

soulpoker Senior Member

The technology isn't nowhere near close to it being feasible, and will probably not be so in my lifetime, but if it's relatively safe, done within a year or so and not cost a fortune I'd do both.

12. Donica

Donica Members

Will there at least be a movie theater? I mean what is there to do but build colonies. May after the Moon and Mar have been colonized 'll go, but for now, I don't think they would need my help.

13. CurtisCCheck

CurtisCCheck Members

I think if we should explore these places once AI is more advanced and able to be controlled better from long distances away. Probably not in our lifetimes, but in time. The wrong idea is to bring humans to these places to colonize. We've destroyed this planet enough. Everything takes time to improve though.

14. Toker

Toker Lifetime Supporter

WOW! That's an incredible image. Yes I see the dolphin! When I zoom in, parts look like me in the am after neighbor's all nite party till 5am.

You'll never get me to leave this planet in this body.

Last edited: Jan 18, 2023