Would you do something you knew was wrong

Discussion in 'Random Thoughts' started by bluesafire, Feb 11, 2009.

1. bluesafire

bluesafire Senior Member

Yes that's how I feel too. The only time I would consciously choose to hurt someone is in self defense or in defense of someone else who was defenseless. I know we're in for some rough times ahead, likely some dangerous times, and there may be a chance I may be faced with a situation in which I may need to defend myself or my family. I'm willing to do that. We're shopping for guns now and will purchase them shortly. One thing that I want to do is to practice and become good at it, so if I do have to shoot I will do it accurately and as intended. This is one of those ethical challenges that I'm not thrilled to encounter. But the survival instinct is strong, if not for myself than definitely for my family.

2. bluesafire

bluesafire Senior Member

Thank you for your honesty nesta. You're right that many people who wouldn't think they would do something like that may very well do it under certain circumstances. That's why in my OP I said it's not a black & white situation. It never is. I feel very confident that I wouldn't just follow orders because I'm very internally driven and have proven to myself many times throughout my life that I don't just follow orders. But I can understand how others who haven't discovered this kind of inner strength can succumb to that influence.

3. Therese Aline

Therese Aline Slave to the man

Ditto.

4. nesta

nesta Banned

5. bluesafire

bluesafire Senior Member

That's cool, KC. I'm willing to face being ostrasized and rejected to honor my integrity. Sometimes that's one of the hardest things, the social rejection. But if we're willing to risk that then no-one can touch us.

Here's a Gandhi quote I thought was fitting for this thread:

6. mamaKCita

mamaKCita fucking stupid.

i think i'm just contrary by nature.

7. olhippie54

olhippie54 Touch Of Grey Lifetime Supporter

I could never knowingly do anything that had the potential to do harm.

8. Piaf

Piaf Senior Member