Would you do something you knew was wrong

Discussion in 'Random Thoughts' started by bluesafire, Feb 11, 2009.

1. bluesafire

bluesafire Senior Member

and could hurt and/or kill innocent people if your employer told you to do it?

I was just reading about the salmonella outbreak in a Georgia plant and how the owner "defiantely" told his employees to release the products that he knew were tainted. Now he's pleading the 5th. :rolleyes:

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/29138430?GT1=43001

Anyway, I think personally if it were me I'd refuse to obey that order. I know it's not always a black & white situation and when people depend on a job for survival it's very easy to look the other way. I sympathize with the guys that followed the orders. I just don't think I could go through with it myself. How about you guys?

2. Wiseman

Wiseman Senior Member

I want to say that there's no way on Earth that I'd do that, but I'm a pushover, so I'm afraid that I would.

3. scratcho

scratcho Lifetime Supporter Lifetime Supporter

I wouldn't need a job bad enough to do people harm for money.If employed there ,I would have squealed like a pig on the company.

4. dixie_pixy

dixie_pixy HighMandi

My Ethics teacher was discussing this very thing today. We were talking about morals and such.

But, that's such bullshit. I would so be a whistle blower. I mean really, most people hate their bosses and would only do such a thing if they were fucking him and had been promised immunity if it ever came out. I never like my bosses, I'm the first to say fire the mother fucker!

5. nakedtreehugger

nakedtreehugger craaaaaazy

i would absolutely not follow those orders. when i went into healthcare and healing, i took it very seriously when i promised to always do my utmost to help others, and to first do no harm. i know it's officially only the physician's code of ethics, but i feel it applies to everyone, and i uphold it, regardless. i could never knowingly follow orders that would cause someone harm like that. i just couldn't.

6. Aristartle

Aristartle Snow Falling on Cedars Lifetime Supporter

Never. I don't think.

Does working in a tylenol factory count as hurting people if someone overdoses on the stuff? Am I killing someone if I advertise cigarette brands in my newspaper?

7. nakedtreehugger

nakedtreehugger craaaaaazy

i think no, in those situations. of course, it's just my opinion, but with the tylenol and the cigarettes, it's common knowledge that overdosing can hurt and kill you, and that cigarettes have harmful health effects. it's still people's choices whether or not to do so.

with the OP case, it means saying nothing, and allowing people to THINK something is safe when really it's not. if you were telling kids cigarettes are good for you, or telling people you can take as much tylenol as you want, that would be a different matter. IMO.

8. mamaKCita

mamaKCita fucking stupid.

i've already proven to my own satisfaction that i would no go along to get along. my sense of ethics and my conscience are way too powerful. it's like i get frozen in place and just start arguing.

9. Greengirl

Greengirl Senior Member

i would never do anything that somebody else is telling me to, but i already did something i know is wrong. At least i know it was my decision and i am the one to blame
    i strongly dislike to obey orders except my own. i am the one and only person in the world who i`m listening to

10. nesta

nesta Banned

i want to say no i would not. but not having been in said situation, it's hard to say.

most people want to say no to this question, but the milgram experiment and the stanford prison experiment demonstrate the capacity of an average, normal human being to commit acts of brutality they never would have imagined themselves capable of, just because they were following orders. real life situations have confirmed the conclusions of these experiments time and again.

i'd like to think i'm different and could never knowingly do something to deliberately harm another person simply because i'm told to, but depending on the situation who knows. i might.

11. mamaKCita

i've lost friends for good over refusing to go along. i've taken beatings over refusing to just go along. i think i've proven myself pretty capable of sticking to my guns.

12. nesta

nesta Banned

i'm pretty confident i wouldnt. i just can't say for sure.

idk :confused:

13. RELAYER

RELAYER mādhyamaka

Id shoot the boss in the face with a gun

14. mamaKCita

it's really one of those things you just won't know until you've been tested. and there's nothing wrong with that. i'd call you very fortunate indeed. either it's through picking the right people to be around, which would indicate being a good judge of character, or not allowing yourself to be in positions where you'd have to choose, which is excellent foresight. unfortunately, the unlucky ones can't always pick their families and where they live. so that third bit there makes you lucky fortunate, i think.

15. nesta

nesta Banned

nerf, water, or paintball?

16. daisymae

daisymae Senior Member

Something like that would easily be traced right back to you. The owner was an idiot.

17. Asmodean

Asmodean Slo motion rider

No, I'm sure I would refuse to obey that order. For moral reasons of course, not for fucking my boss over like some deluded person here said.

18. mamaKCita

and yeah, in specifics, i am enough of a cold blooded bitch to put people outta work by being a whistle-blower. i've done it before, i'd do it again.

19. RELAYER

RELAYER mādhyamaka

A shotgun :coolgleamA:
    That way I can be all up close and personal when the face explodes and gets blood on my cool glasses

20. mamaKCita

oh hell, what's a few cases of salmonella here and there when there's all those people who were still drawing a paycheck?