would you buy your 8yr kid a BBgun and let them roam the streets with it?

Discussion in 'Politics' started by deleted, Aug 2, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. lode

lode Banned

Yeah, I'd let my kids have a BB gun. I wouldn't let them play with it unsupervised.

It's a toy. You couldn't kill a bird with the daisy I had. I suppose if I had neighbors who called squads of police to close off roads, and employ swat tactics to capture children playing with BB guns, I'd reconsider.

2. lode

lode Banned

*double post fever*

3. hotwater

hotwater Senior Member Lifetime Supporter

I agree you couldn’t kill a bird with a daisy air rifle; but you could put out its eye :(

Hotwater :D

Eric! likes this.
  4. lode

lode Banned

Hotwater, if my kid has that kind of aim, I think I should be nurturing his (or her) talents, and buy them a lot of guns. :)

5. hotwater

hotwater Senior Member Lifetime Supporter

:eek:

Hotwater

Eric! likes this.
  6. Heat

Heat Smile, it's contagious! :) Lifetime Supporter

I have friends who do have BB guns and they come here to shoot them as they live in the town limits and I do not. While they may not kill some one , they could do harm to them. They will shoot through a metal can, so a child or adult could be badly hurt if they were shot at.

No gun is a toy. Friggin adults are insane to allow any kid to play with those. Nothing wrong with a kid owning one but there are safety and maturity issues that go with that.

The given is that no one is wandering around with any gun. That is a disaster waiting to happen.

7. lode

lode Banned

You're right, they're should be limits placed upon the kids, and they shouldn't just be given air guns and to told to go crazy.

A pellet gun uses gun powder, it's a firearm which could hurt someone. But a BB gun is a toy. Much safer than fireworks. Which kids should also play with.

8. Heat

Heat Smile, it's contagious! :) Lifetime Supporter

Agree with you. :)

In the case of the whole original post. It is not the kid who is at fault. Stupid adults are more to blame.

Kids are going to be kids. No excuse for adults.

Asmodean likes this.
  9. rak

rak Senior Member

Tell that to the victims of the trenchcoat mafia.

10. deleted

deleted Visitor

BB gun and pellet guns can have a given velocities of 650-1,500 feet per second..

22cal. LR Bullet weights range from 20 to 60 grains can have a given velocities from 575–1,750 feet per second..

BB gun can exceed 22cal. gun powered velocities with no problem...

On groundhogs day back in 1997 a small friend of mine, we will call him matt and 2 other boy ages 13 to 15 were playing with a found 22 cal. pistol a few blocks from where I am sitting today..

when Matt jokingly placed the Toy looking gun to his head and pulled the trigger. saying to his friends "this is how people kill themselves"..
    This child was on life support for 3 day.. and he was gone..

Its always a really funny thing when a child get killed in your neighborhood with a firearm.. a real riot alice....

11. Pete's Draggin'

Pete's Draggin' Visitor

Would you let your 8yr old roam the streets with a BBgun that replicated a 9mm handgun? NO

and would you let them roam the streets with it, at 930 in the evening? NO

why not?..
    It's almost a Guarantee that 911 would be called, and any law enforcement would be prepared to shoot to kill. Or a law abiding citizen would shoot to kill.

Back in the 80s at around 9 or 10 years old moms would let me arm up with my Crossman AR-15 style 6? or 8? shot pellet rifle, Daisy CO2 375 style pellet revolver and go out into the neighborhood public woods/park. Moms would say "be back in time for dinner". My friends and I would all be armed up too. We'd see cops drive by slowly, we'd hide and never get caught.

On weekend nights was the best! We'd call them "missions" night. During the school week we'd plot out the next class mate house we'd visit without being seen. We brought all of our "bb" guns with us just to make it feel like it was a combat mission. Every house was a guards tiki hut. The classmate house was the POW's. Like a Chuck Norris "missing in action" movie. We crossed railroad bridges, back yards, we even disarmed and did a few quick "pool hops". If we got caught by people running around, (and we did plenty) the person(s) would just say something like" Hey you kids! Get out of here!"

If we did the above scenario today, I'd probably not pecking this post now. RIP

If Moms caught me leaving with my bb guns she'd say "Oh No! Where the fuck are you going, yer grounded!"

lion1978 likes this.
  12. Eric!

Eric! Lifetime Supporter Lifetime Supporter

Would I buy my kid a BB gun? Yes. But everyone who has answered so far, has provided good reasons as to why they wouldn't let them play with one unsupervised. Here's my reason as to why I wouldn't allow my kid to play with one without me present (see video and article):

Video: Cops Shot, Killed 12-Year-Old Two Seconds After Arriving at
    On Saturday afternoon, a rookie police officer was called to a recreation center in Cleveland when a 911 caller reported that there was "a male with a gun" sitting outside the center. When the cop arrived, he shot a 12-year-old boy who reached for a BB gun when the officer told him to put his hands up, police said.

The 12-year-old boy had been sitting with his friends at a pavilion at the Cudell Recreation Center, Deputy Chief of Field Operations Ed Tomba told Cleveland.com. A concerned man watching from across the street called police to report the gun-wielding child, asserting on his 911 call that the gun was "probably fake" and that the "man" with the gun was "probably a juvenile." Responding officers allegedly were never relayed information about the 911 caller's doubt.

Via Cleveland.com:

The officer got out of the car and told the boy to put his hands up. The boy reached into his waistband, pulled out the gun and the rookie officer fired two shots, Tomba said.

Tomba said the child did not threaten the officer verbally or physically.

At least one of the shots hit the child in the stomach.

The boy was rushed to the hospital, where he was in critical condition until Sunday morning, when he died from the gunshot wound. The officer and his fifteen-year veteran partner who arrived at the scene with him were both put on administrative leave during the investigation.

GeorgeJetStoned likes this.
  13. deleted

deleted Visitor

This thread is old. The kid this thread is about, is in a juvenile detention at New Castle on other charges in the past after the BBgun incidents.. The apple dont fall far from the tree in that household..
    Closing because its out of date.

6-eyed shaman and ZenKarma like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.