Would love your ideas and input

Discussion in 'Fashion and Crafts' started by lucyinthesky, Jan 6, 2005.

1. lucyinthesky

lucyinthesky Tie Dyed Soul

I often find myself looking at online patchwork and handmade clothing...and getting very bored with it all. For being "Unique & Original" many of them sometimes seem to be the same. for example- everyone carries lotus flower, grateful dead, om, peace symbols, phish etc dresses/tops. Don't get me wrong, these are still really nice classic symbols, and i'm inspired by them all, but i'm really motivated to make entirely different pieces; weird...unexpected things. I have a whole vault of ideas of what I would like to see on handmade clothing, but i'd like some ideas of what you all would like to see on them. So come on, gimme some ideas!!!!!!!

2. honeyhannah

honeyhannah herbuhslovuh

well i like making up phrases personally

3. Major Peacenik

Major Peacenik Member

yeah... I like making up sentences and slogans and logos for bogus companies. "in jokes" are also fun.

4. drumminmama

drumminmama Super Moderator Super Moderator

are you looking to expand color use? patterns, garment cut?
    maybe change up materials? How would a washable silk patchy skirt flow?
    I'd look at art quilts in books/magazines and on line. You are right like dyes, 95 percent of the people use 5 percent of the techniques.
    Someone is out there than can take patchy to the next level.

5. cerridwen

cerridwen in stitches

I'm bored of store clothes too... I've gone through my own closet and turned what I have in there into new patchwork outfits... makes in to new and different items than what you can find anywhere.

6. Bloody_Kisses

Bloody_Kisses Thizzler

you could try doing patchwork with tyedye peices instead of the usual. or maybe try learning how to embroider? i thought themes would be cool. i was out yesterday and i saw this little girl wearing this cute little dress with embroidered mushrooms along the hem at the bottom and on the front it had that little stoned-off-his-ass catterpillar with the bong. i love alice in wonderland, so i thought this was pretty cool. i know what you mean about everything looking the same. like for instance, every single peice of patchwork patchwork i have ever seen was in light pastel colors, which i hate. for once i would love to see something brighter, something that stands out. have fun :D
    oh and i would love to see pics of whatever you have made so far. im sure theyre spiffy :D

7. lace_and_feet

lace_and_feet Super Member

You mean, like this?:

[​IMG]

Because yeah, I'm sick of this too...and it's EVERYWHERE. Where's the hippie creativity?? I showed my mom the gypsy rose catalog, asking her if any of the patchwork tops resembeled any from her era, and she said "No! Those are all ugly and unoriginal, and they all look the same. Nothing like what we had. Ours were about creativity and self-expression; no two looked alike." She was almost disgusted. haha.

Personally I think this one is more flattering and more original, but I'd choose some more neutral colors and/or different patterns:

[​IMG]

8. Bloody_Kisses

Bloody_Kisses Thizzler

thats awesome, but youre right, some of the patterns sort of remind me of those cheap polyester hooker shirts that they sell at ross (i mean like the fabric peeking out by the sleeve, at the very top) but i like the general style of that, very jive :D

9. ArtLoveMusic

ArtLoveMusic Senior Member

It would be nice to see some purple patchies... like patches where the colours kinda go. All the patchies over here (trousers and skirts) are random colours and really boring repeaded flower patterns.
    Parhaps some NICE pieces of clothes where all the patches are different patterns but with a say.. red theme or purple :p

10. lucyinthesky

yessss, that's what i mean.....that picture of the apron top with the moon is exactly what i mean. everything is just so blah. I rarely find something that makes me go "oh my god i HAVE to have that" cuz it ALL looks the same. And what happened to all the tie dye?!? NO ONE uses tie dye unless it's on onesies or 'one size fits all' tshirts- BORING! Most of the pieces i've drawn up have tie dye in it. I love colourful stuff. MAN...when i start really making this stuff, you all better buy some ;)

11. ArtLoveMusic

ArtLoveMusic Senior Member

Hehe when i come to canada i'll personally collect it (if im anywhere near where you will be :p)

12. GlassGuru

GlassGuru Member

Awesome work lacy! I'm a male and won't wear it personally but you do have an eye for fashion! Keep up the great work!

13. yesplease

yesplease Member

one of the coolest dresses i've seen in a long time was made out of men's ties...all sewn together with an empire waist...pretty cute. she took the ties and sewed them together, the pointed bottoms of the ties were the bottom of the skirt...took a lot of ties, but it was awesome (yay for the thrift store!) after seeing how my friend made it, i think a tank top could be made out of men's ties...or a skirt...maybe some capris? but it was cuuuuuute! hope this spurs some creativity!

14. drumminmama

drumminmama Super Moderator Super Moderator

let's kill off the empire waist while we are at it.
    Sunshine Vix, from the last incarnation of the forums, and I collaborated on a piece. She lowered the waist to more of a bodice level [I try to camoflauge my chest and short waist (four inches from hip to rib)] and designed a tree and mountain applque. She used HER trees and mountains (we are about 1600 miles apart) but that's OK.
    she told me to trust her on colors, and while I would not have picked the colors off a rack, they work over all.

15. phunkymonkey

phunkymonkey Member

Hey ~ I know this has been a while, but this inspired me to dive into my reds & create a skirt. I would have used purple, but the store here never has good purples so I hardly have any scraps... I made the skirt right after this post but I wanted to wait until there were actually pictures on the site!

http://www.phunkymonkeythreads.com/skirts/redelderleaf.php

(The girl that actually bought it is shorter & so all of that red trim along the bottom got cut off, so now it really is just covered in patches!)
    ~Tiffany

16. lucyinthesky

ahhh that's GORGEOUS! i was just revisiting old threads and saw this skirt. It's awesome monkey :)

17. seahorse

seahorse Senior Member

I've never really liked any patchwork clothing. For myself, i like cutting clothing, adding pieces, safety pins, zippers, transfers, wearing leg warmers, arm warmers, scarfs on my head, bellbottoms, or tight legged jeans with my kangaroo boxing boots. layers, textures, colours that don't match, mixmatched socks and mittens. It a matter of being creative. Patchwork is very uninteresting to me.

18. purplemoonbeams

purplemoonbeams Member

You mean stuff like this?! :D
    [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

I'd use every single one of those fabrics (and more) all on one skirt. I agree, a lot of patchwork goes with the stupid "Hippy earthtones" style. I don't like earth tones! I'm a kid born in '88 who was raised as if it were '67 and I'm an artist. I like bright, vibrant colours! The more dizzying to older folks, the better.

19. marymicrogram

marymicrogram Member

I agree completely. It seems like all the younger folks are wearing the same thing these days.

20. lucyinthesky

exaaaaaaaaactly!! Bright bright, mismatched stuff is the best. I think that's what sometimes bothers me about some patchwork, is that it all matches too perfectly. Although, stuff like at phunkymonkeythreads.com is cool cuz she puts in lots of different shades of one colour.