Would Finding WMD in Iraq Change Your Opinion On the War?

Discussion in 'Politics' started by Changeyourlatitude, May 17, 2004.

1. booshnoogs

booshnoogs loves you

So the million dollar question still is, What happened to these weapons?

• Saddam destroyed them but kept no records of it
    • Saddam hid them somewhere
    • Saddam shipped them off to Syria or some other place

What would be truly embarrasing to the US is if they did plant some weapons to be found prior to the election, and then, the real ones are found later.

2. LickHERish

LickHERish Senior Member

What happened to them is precisely what Scott Ritter said happened to them. They were destroyed back in the early 90's. It is THIS admin which has so repeatedly lied and fabricated evidence that should no longer be given an ounce of credence for anything further they claim or say.

Would you be fool enough to buy a used car from these exposed liars?

So why does anyone buy their illegal war?

3. seamonster66

seamonster66 discount dracula

It seems to me that the US (and world in general) is in more danger now than at any other time during my life. We have become the undisputed enemy of the world, the number of terrorists is rising exponentially, and their weapons capabilities are far beyond molotov cocktails and knives. I hate to say it, but the chance of a nuclear explosion occuring somewhere in the world seems likely within the next 5 years.

I guess the one good thing you could say about this frightening presidencial term, is that when we get Bush out of there we will be well stocked up on tanks and weapons for a more cautious and diplomatic president to sit on.

this country is decaying inside while its army gets more and more funding. I honestly feel like i don't know this place like i used to.

4. booshnoogs

booshnoogs loves you

So why would Saddam destroy these weapons and not tell anybody about it? Why not allow the UN to supervise the destruction and be done with the whole mess?

5. Orsino

Orsino Member

Two words - Hell no.

6. Pointbreak

Pointbreak Banned

Otter, that is totally fabricated. I guarantee you cannot back this up.

On the other hand, I can give you documented evidence that says the US sold about 1% of Iraq's weapons.

http://projects.sipri.se/armstrade/Trnd_Ind_IRQ_Imps_73-02.pdf

Unfortunately, these myths and the idea that the US "sold WMD" to Iraq are so widespread in the antiwar movement that they are pretty much unquestioned.

Another thing that makes no sense is the idea that it is "convenient" to find WMD now. Really? Wouldn't it have been a little more convenient right at the beginning when we still had a chance of some credibility? This is just self-serving logic - it is an inconvenient fact, so it is pre-emptively rejected.

7. Pressed_Rat

Pressed_Rat Do you even lift, bruh?

Of course. France doesn't have shit miltary-wise compared to us.

What I was saying is that we wouldn't be able to get away with it so easy.

8. Changeyourlatitude

Changeyourlatitude Banned

Lickheritch, you must have a yeast infection in your brain from lickingheritch. How do you come to the conclusion Scott Ritter is Captain Planet and infallible? The UN and the free world were just too stupid to accept Scott and Sadam’s word on the subject? When Scott spoke they should have ended the embargo and oil for food, and back to business as usual, because Scott has spoken!

And, in what way is this an illegal war? What law was broken? Perhaps invading a sovereign nation? No, that was Iraq that did that going into Kuwait. The war was on “pause” waiting for Sadam to prove he had empty hands. It was his violation of the “pause” along with the refusal to open both hands that resumed the LEGAL War.

Changeyourlatitude

9. trippymcnugget

trippymcnugget Member

Yes, we gave Saddam weapons-- but not chemical or biological ones. The heaviest thing we gave him were machineguns. I'll have to look into the crack thing... lol. Just lookin at the source, I don't trust it at all.

One of Saddams advisers said he was high on good ol' mary jane when he decided to invade Kuiwait. Haha.

10. Jozak

Jozak Member

Don't worry, PointBreak has already taken care of it (see the link)

11. Changeyourlatitude

The coment was made by Colonel (Ret.) Oliver North. He said the Iraqi weapons of mass destruction investigation team are looking at at large underground facility some fourty miles north of Bagdad. He indicated no definitive conclusions could be reported at the time. Just thought I'd give you guys the head's up for when it happens.

Changeyourlatitude

12. Maggie Sugar

Maggie Sugar Senior Member

Oh, Ollie North. Well then, with his distiguished record of honesty and integrity, we should ALL change our minds, then. <please note heavy sarcasm>

13. Changeyourlatitude

Maggie

Don't shoot the messenger!

Changeyourlatitude:)

14. Rockman

Rockman Member

It wasn't just Scott Ritter saying Iraq had been successfully disarmed by the UN, it was Hans Blix, pretty much the world's authority on the subject. But listening to him would have contradicted King W, so it just wouldn't do.

The real question is though, if Saddam had WMDs recently, why didn't he use them? He was facing the world's most powerful military, and didn't have a chance without them. So why the hell would he keep them hidden, or give them to Syria? Maybe he's just a nice guy and didn't feel like harming the hundred-thousand-plus American troops right over the Kuwaiti border?

Give me a fucking break.

Oh, and yes, America *DID* provide WMDs for Iraq...

http://answers.google.com/answers/threadview?id=302024

I've provided more than this before, too, but tracking down the links is a pain.

15. LickHERish

LickHERish Senior Member

Pointless trying to explain to those who wish to jingoistically close their eyes to the truth, Rockman. Such types have so little comprehension that WMD precursors are the only manner in which WMDs CAN be proliferated by countries which are signatories to the BWC (such as the US). Add the technical knowhow for weaponisation (as we did), the technical equipment and the financial support (as we also did) and you have a proliferator of WMDs.

But the simplistic surface understanding of most right wing citizens cannot grasp the complexity of skirting international conventions and prohibitions.

16. Changeyourlatitude

Well here is how I see it, when the Security Council voted for UN resolution 1441 unanimously it said Sadam was remained in violation of the original resolution after the stopping of hostilities, he was in material breach!

I recall no resolution resultant of findings from any UN team that found him in compliance as the renewal of hostilities began. Did Mr. Hans Blitz offer such definitive information to the Security Council? Had he, I would think a resolution would have been tabled to validate Iraq back to pre-war status. That didn’t happen, did it?

Mr. Blitz or Sadam moved no quicker towards meeting the demands of the original resolution. As I recall he wanted the US forces to hang out for another six months in the seas and sands around Iraq while he tidied up his report. Kind of clinical, like just saying it isn’t important, we have nothing but time. The two parties had twelve years already!

Sadam, who could convince any citizen to do his will could not convince his scientist and families to leave the country for interview. I would prefer war to forcing my citizens to be subject to such humility. I recall at the same time documents being found in scientist’s homes.

To the last moment the offer was open to “open his hands and avoid war” and he only raised his middle finger to give the UN the finger as he had for over 12 years. Sadam wanted his neighbors to worry he had WMD and the world to say he didn’t have any. A recipe for war, which occurred!

Read UN resolution 1441 and how Sadam could still be in charge without war by meeting the 12 year old resolution to open two hands. He was in material breech! He had his soldiers trying to shoot down American and British planes every day for years. He showed contempt!

Changeyourlatitude

17. smartass

smartass Member

You need serious help if you actually believe that, even most libs aren't this crazy, WOW.

18. Megara

Megara Banned

Where did hans blix ever say that iraq was disarmed pre US invasion? I'd love to see the manuscript of any talk he gave to the UNSC saying such things.

19. Changeyourlatitude

The having or not having WMD is not the point. The war was paused, a temporary cease-fire, to save more war casualties in order for Sadam to show he had no WMD. The cease-fire was lifted after twelve years because he didn't live up to his part of the deal, he had twelve years and did nothing to resume a peaceful life for his countries citizens, and he only showed contempt for the civilized world. He had twelve years! There was no one but Scott Ritter and Sadam that said he was disarmed according to the cease-fire agreement.

Changeyourlatitude

20. Pointbreak

Pointbreak Banned

Rockman said:
    No, they didn't. Didn't you read your own link? Selling anthrax samples and computers is not "providing WMDs".

I'm not asking you to take my word for it, read your own link.