Would America Be Better Off If The South Won The Civil War?

Discussion in 'History' started by unfocusedanakin, Dec 8, 2016.

1. tumbling.dice

tumbling.dice Visitor

True. This, plus their economic and social backwardness, would have spelled doom for The Confederacy. The US itself might have been better off; I think the main difference (for the US) is that today we would have a different banana republic to our south. Once cotton was no longer king what other crop would take it's place? Marijuana perhaps, and today all the drug wars would be happening in such places as Memphis, Nashville, etc., instead of in Mexico.

President-elect Trump would have promised to build a wall along the Mason–Dixon line and make the Confederacy pay for it.

2. YouFreeMe

YouFreeMe Visitor

Probably not, but no way to know.

I'd like to take a peak into the alternate dimension in which the south won.

3. themnax

themnax Senior Member

depends on what you mean by winning it. but i do believe america would be better off to be three to five smaller countries, each with their own dozen or so states, then the one big country it is now.

i don't think the north was on the wrong side value wise, but i don't think there needed to be a war at all either.

i don't believe people should ever have to kill each other over questions of independence or ideology.

i don't believe any super power governments are a good thing at all.

but i do think world dominance by economic interests is worse.

bioregeons should be soverignly indipendent, but at peace with each other.
    each going about things in their own unique ways.