Worst Towns and Cities in Britain

Discussion in 'U.K.' started by J0hn, May 25, 2007.

1. J0hn

J0hn Phantom

There are so many Towns and Cities in Britain that deserve to be bulldozed, set alight and shot out into space. But what worst towns have you visited or live in and why?

I went to Slough a few years back and didn't realise how crap it was. It reminded me of some programme on tv, not Dallas but more like a charity appeal. Bang right in the middle of this Town is a massive three mile wide concrete LUMP!, which is the bus station. Just walking around the parameter, you feel a cold downdraft and a feeling that you just want to do yourself in. Like a great depression just dropped out of a pigeons behind and hit you.

The local train station is quite decent. Fast services away from this place. This includes the 125 intercity to Paddington or Reading./ Or the Heathrow Express which goes to Heathrow airport.

A five minute stroll around the Slough high street and you see just how the local council have failed these local people. Most have basically staggered out of closing down shops, pubs or a Mcdonalds. Most are simply sad to live in Slough. I mean they dream of one day immigrating to Clapham Junction or Walthamstow central. It is the council who have let Slough slide down the ladder into poverty and degradation. Once I left Slough, I felt so happy and so euphoric, I felt as though I had made it out of Purgatory. I give Slough 1 out of 10.

2. xZx

xZx Member

Stoke on trent. There are no jobs, the place is filthy, it's the chav breeding ground of the country, there are no good shops and the local cinema smells of wee. Oh yeh, and everyone refers to everyone else as 'duck'. However, there are oatcakes which makes the place just about standable. lol.

3. Peace-Phoenix

Peace-Phoenix Senior Member

London... it's a bit crap isn't it?

4. lithium

lithium frogboy

*note to self: stop weeing in cinemas*

5. autumn_jewels

autumn_jewels Member

rofl

6. autumn_jewels

autumn_jewels Member

rhyl should be bulldozed though it has a pretty active punkrock scene. otherwise it has brown sea, mcdonalds wrappers on the floor and smells of poo

7. mamaKCita

mamaKCita fucking stupid.

*marks the cities off my tour list*

continue.

8. phoenix_indigo

phoenix_indigo dreadfully real

i highly recommend staying as far from Vange as possible. I mean Vange even sounds like a sexual disease. I have a mate that lives there (he accepted a council flat not knowing what the area was like). At night, when we are around his we play a game of "spot the chav". We'd get fewer points if we made it "spot the non-chav". I swear Vange is also where the wild beast known as the 'shopping trolley' has it's domain as they are always found to be tipped over having a snooze along the roadsides and in the bushes.

The vacant places end up having sheet metal (not just boards ... but sheet metal) put up over the windows to keep people out and keep the windows from being broken.

And well, grafitti and rubbish are the currency.

9. Sian Jade

Sian Jade Member

I live in a town in Derbyshire 'Ilkeston' don't know if anyones heard of it, its been mentioned on the TV a few times. I love it anyway, the people are really friendly and nobody throws a party better than a 'ilkestonian!' :)

10. bokonon

bokonon Senior Member

I used to live right on the edge of a village in Sunderland called Hendon. That was pretty grim. My flatmate at the time had parents living there so we'd often pop down for a feed. It's just street after street, back alley after back alley. And the anti-social behaviour boys do quite well down there too.

Also in Sunderland a place called Pennywell has a bit of a rough reputation. That reputation has been getting some press recently: Four stabbings in a week. The police have been given some knife detectors to trial. It has more back gardens than Hendon, few trees here and there, on the surface looks a lot nicer. But there's certainly more houses bordered up in Pennywell.

I couldn't go for living in either.

11. J0hn

J0hn Phantom

There is a place near me called Lee. It is a small little place but apart from a massive Sainsbury, the only entertainment is sitting on the seats next to a drunken ten year old:( Lee is a pretty grim place. Despite the council repaving the area and placed new street furniture, it still hasn't improved the area one bit. Two pubs, one closed down and another set to close.

12. shedtroll

shedtroll Peace, Love & Linux

For me it's Niddrie (a part of Edinbrugh, not edinburgh it's self), followed by Sighthill, wester hales and bathgate.

13. mellowthyme

mellowthyme Member

Hey matey, I was brought up there and have moved back to Hendon. But I agree it is a tough place to live in. I wouldn't call it a village, as it's the heart of Sunderland being the port, you then have Grangetown and Ryhope leading you into Seaham (Durham). Remember Hendon was and always has been the dumping ground for newcomers. The low educated working class. You cannot change who you are!

14. bokonon

bokonon Senior Member

I can't say I know much of it's history, and it was probably a decent place to live when it was first built. Like they say of blocks of flats...everybody knew their neighbours and would go on trips together. Leave your door unlocked and worry not.

Without that neighbourly love though, those building schemes do seem to go to hell a bit!

15. bokonon

bokonon Senior Member

From Wikipedia:

As early as 1100, the Bishopwearmouth parish included a small fishing village at the mouth of the river (modern day Hendon) known as 'Soender-land' (which evolved into 'Sunderland'). This settlement was granted a charter in 1179 by Hugh Pudsey, then the Bishop of Durham.

Hendon is an area towards the east end of Sunderland in North East England. It is the location of Darwin Brewery and many council houses. The first aluminium bascule bridge in the world spanned the junction of Hendon and Hudson Docks

Sunderland has the motto of Nil Desperandum Auspice Deo loosely translated it means Don't Despair, Trust In God

-Haha, the motto is rather apt you must agree! :)

16. sonik

sonik Member

Not in the u.k. obviously but Detroit is a pretty shit town.

It's got some interesting culture and a few cool things, but overall it's a bad place.

Can't wait to move!

17. phoenix_indigo

phoenix_indigo dreadfully real

never been myself, but seen plenty of footage of Detroit. that is business taking a wonderful booming place and leaving it utterly depraved really. i feel bad for areas like that. at least it's only a hop though to get over to Canada from Detroit. Michael Moore has talked alot about Detroit and Michigan in his films/books and how GM really screwed over a good part of that state leaving people unemployed without a chance of new employment. tis very awful especially when it was such a good place to be in the past.

18. mellowthyme

mellowthyme Member

Yeah, it was also the motto for my school, again very apt.:)

19. ronald Macdonald

ronald Macdonald Banned

Slough, Swindon, newtown(the one in wales), Bradford, Leeds, Birmingham, Most of Greater London, Liecester, Derby, Crew, Bourton on the water, Ashby De La Zouch

20. paulfreespirit

paulfreespirit Senior Member

bourton on the water :D does"nt that skull ragged tory **** tebbit live their?............crewe" right on blob what a shithole "ashby de la zouch :D