Worst president

Discussion in 'Politics' started by Mui, Jun 2, 2004.

1. Megara

Megara Banned

Personally i find it a huge stretch for anyone to say that bush RUINED The economy. What ruined the economy was the tech bubble bursting..yes 9/11 played a part in the economy crapping out....yes our economy was in a downswing in clintons last quarter.....it was going down whether it was bush or gore. With that said, The president CAN easily influnce the economy. Going to war causes uncertainty, it is one of the worst thing for the markets. On the bright side, it normally creates a bunch of jobs and pushes manufacturing jobs so the economy goes up initially. Personally, i think the economy dying was just part of the cycle. Bush hasnt done much to help it IMO. The economy is doing better bcause of low interest rates(thanks greenspan) and the weaker dollar(sucks to be a european) which has caused foreigners to buy from us instead of europe and other markets with strong currencies.

2. TerminalMadness

TerminalMadness Member

I think the worst president we ever had was Martin Sheen.

He's just terrible.

3. Re-ElectGore

Re-ElectGore Member

Herbert Hoover. Not a bad guy, but his hands-off economics were wrong for his time period.

4. meglomaniac

meglomaniac Member

#1 Andrew Jackson - After Lincoln got killed, this guy stepped in and wrecked everything Lincoln had worked for in the term of racial equality.

#2 Lyndon Johnson - one word "Vietnam". His constant lieing on how well the war was going and how close that we were to victory. When he new the truth.

One of the best which i like to give honor to is Ronald Reagon. No matter what people thought of him. He was true to himself and his faith. And wanted to tear down communism where ever it was found. His arms race was instrumental to the fall of communism in the Soviet Union. He built up our military so we can be proud of it again.

Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. We didn't pass it to our children in the bloodstream. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on for them to do the same, or one day we will spend our sunsets years telling our children and our children's children what it was once like in the United States where men were free.--- by Ronald Reagon

5. Floyder

Floyder Member

I think GW2 is the worst president mainly because he has taken the classic image of an intellectual president and trashed it. Even when he is asked to comment on the passing of a president he greatly admired, they still have to wait 8 hours for his aides to write up a written statement. I know he was in a different time zone, but still he could have said something.

I think the popular Russian quote on Reagan is he helped to speed up the end of the cold war....by about 9 days. He wasn't a bad president though. Just like Clinton he was an optimist, and looking back the 80s actually were actually a pretty good time. Also you could tell he actually believed every single word that he said, and knew exactly the path that he wanted to take this country in. Its such a change of pace from today's "waiting to giggle" speeches made by Bush. I wonder if this guy takes anything he says seriously.

6. jesuswasamonkey

jesuswasamonkey Slightly Tipsy

7. LuciferSam

LuciferSam Member

That's Andrew Johnson. Though Andrew Jackson's not a bad pick either.

8. meglomaniac

meglomaniac Member

GWB is not that bad, i believe he is better then the alternative. He just got handed alot of crap to deal with.

9. Jozak

Jozak Member

Not really, but okay, I see your point. Agreed.

Not trying to say that at all. Many intelligetn people don't know economics that well, it's in its own field.

But hiistory has shown us war is GOOD for an economy. Look what WWII did-it helped Nazi Germany and it helped the U.S. out of the Great Depression. I am not by any means suggesting if the economy sucks go to war, lol, but I am just pointing that out.

10. Maggie Sugar

Maggie Sugar Senior Member

LOL. What color is the sky in your world, dude?

Hey, great investigative research reference. THE NEWS. Well, now, it's settled. The News said there were WMD! Which "news" the Weekly World News? LOL.

11. BraveSirRubin

BraveSirRubin Members

Lincoln never did work much for racial equality, it was the scheme behind kicking the south's ass for having a much better economy because of the slave workers. Abe never believed in equal rights, he said so himself. He also brought the nation into a Civil war... together with Johnson (Confederate President), I can EASILY say that those two were the worst... getting the country to war itself over econimicly dominated socio-political reasons.

Ofcourse, Jackson wasn't a saint either. The Trail of Tears was a terrible thing, he murdered most of the Natives in the country. He was the furst to use the campaign of fear others (like Dubya) later used.

Our dear Bush is not the worst. Vietnam was worst then Iraq, and a bigger mistake... blame all the presidents who were in office during that!

Blame the Cold War idiots! Who hunted down "commies" in the streets and wasted money on war supplies never used (until Nam).

Whoever mentioned Clinton... all I have to say is LOL... he doesn't even compare to all of these other guys.

Bush is bad, yet clearly not the worst.

12. Jozak

Jozak Member

Lincoln did not give 2 fucks about slaves. The "Emancipation Proclomation" only freed the slaves in the south, not the border states that fought for the north. He even thought about colonizing them in Liberia, sending them back to Africa.

13. TerminalMadness

TerminalMadness Member

Probably that reliable source called Fox News.

14. peacefuljeffrey

peacefuljeffrey Senior Member

Pressed Rat had you pegged in another thread as a know-nothing wanna-be political activist leftist-type, and he was right.

For christ's sake, you can't even fuckin' spell "REAGAN" right! And what is "I'de"?

I'd take your political opinions slightly less seriously than I would take Anna Nicole Smith's.

-Jeffrey

15. TerminalMadness

TerminalMadness Member

Tone it down a little, man. Tone it down, would ya?

I don't support bush, and I despise the guy but if some people on this board want to support him then that's their business and I respect that.

Your opinions would be a lot more respected if you didn't start right away with the insults and foul language.

I read that people who insult others during a debate don't have any real opinions on an issue, or don't have really good comebacks or a leg to stand on during a debate.

Cool it and let people choose what they want to choose, and if you don't agree just say "I disagree" don't call people stupid or mental defectives. It's bad karma.

16. TerminalMadness

TerminalMadness Member

*sniff!* I detect a hint of poseur in Mui. Eh?

17. Maggie Sugar

Herbert Hoover was a pretty bad president. Didn't give a damn about the poor and the homeless during the depression (which he had a hand in causing) and when the homeless made a tent city on the White House lawn to protest, he had the entire thing burned down! People died horribly, yet little is said about it.

Nixon sucked, for multiple obvious reasons.

Johnson's Civil Rights programs were good, but his foreign policy was terrible. And he wasn't nice to dogs. LOL.

The Bushes also were awful, bad economies, constantly blaming the Left for everything THEY fucked up, War ect. Daddy Bush wanted drug users put to death. Funny, if he had had his way, his own granddaughter would have been executed.

Reagan YUCK! The man was a facist. Just Say No my ass.

18. sreed24

sreed24 Member

I had been tooling around in the Globalization topic and had been fairly impressed by the quality of some of the posts. Then I come here and...well, I'm a little less impressed.

I don't want to sound arrogant, but if you can't spell Reagan, or if you confuse Andrew Johnson and Andrew Jackson (or Andrew Johnson and Stonewall Jackson) then maybe you should focus your energies focusing on topics you know more about.

My top 8 Presidents:

1-Lincoln. The consensus #1 of most historians. Regardless of one's assessment of his humanitarian motives or lack thereof, the nation owes its very existence to him. A brilliant man and internationally beloved statesman who deserves better than ignorant people repeating some demeaning gossip they heard about him.

2-Wilson. His economic policy was progressive and sound, he handled WWI very well, and the world would have been much better off if his ideas about postwar international relations had carried the day rather than being unwisely rejected both in America and Europe.

3-Washington.

4-Truman. It's too bad every President isn't as decent and courageous a man as Truman

5-FDR. His Depression era economic policy was overrated in my opinion but his leadership through the World War II era cemented his greatness.

6-Jefferson

7-Teddy Roosevelt.

8-Grover Cleveland.

Bottom 8:

1-Warren Harding. Grossly overmatched by the job, completely incompetent, clueless, corrupt.

2-Grant. Alcoholic, corrupt, inept. Terrible job muddling through the post Civil War era.

3-Andrew Johnson. Really didn't have a chance under the circumstances, but was pretty awful.

4-Nixon. I'm tired of his apologists claiming he was a good President except for being a crook. He was not. Economic policy was abysmal, sort of a mishmash of the worst ideas of liberal and conservative economics. A paranoid, deeeply maladjusted man.

5-Hoover. Herbert was a great guy but was truly the wrong man at the wrong time.

6-Coolidge

7-George W. Bush. W is moving up the list with his devastating combination of bungling the postwar, pissing away international goodwill, and running up enormous deficits. Whether you are conservative or liberal none of these things can be reasonably argued as being in the long term interest of the nation.

8-Franklin Pierce

19. Maggie Sugar

It is kind of like when they interview people in the neighborhood of a serial killer and people say, "Well he was a nice guy. Despite the fact that he killed 18 people."