World Hunger On The Rise Again

Discussion in 'Latest Hip News Stories' started by Joshua Tree, Oct 18, 2017.

1. Joshua Tree

Joshua Tree Remain In Light

https://www.scientificamerican.com/article/world-hunger-is-increasing-thanks-to-wars-and-climate-change/

2. Noserider

Noserider Goofy-Footed Member

Sounds like world hunger--as horrible as it is--is really just a symptom of much larger issues.

1 person likes this.
  3. Aerianne

Aerianne Lifetime Supporter Lifetime Supporter

Hurricanes and Wildfires have contributed to the loss of crops in the USA.

4. Vanilla Gorilla

Vanilla Gorilla Go Ape

Im sure i was hungry at least one time in 2016

5. Joshua Tree

Personally I don't think reaching out to Space is the answer. The costs would be astronomical. For me, better governance of our planet is the way forward.

Congratulations. You win a prize.

1 person likes this.
  6. soulcompromise

soulcompromise Member HipForums Supporter

I read somewhere but now don't remember where that we actually grow enough food to feed the world's hungry but we just don't because of the hassle and the cost. Who foots the bill? I think the answer is we have to find a way. If taxes are part of a social initiative to feed the hungry you can count me in.

I think so much more can be done to address social problems such as hunger and poverty.

1 person likes this.
  7. Irminsul

Irminsul Valkyrie

Lol @ going to space.

Government won't even give homeless anything I doubt they're going to launch trillions of dollars into a space farm to help out, unless they can mine for material to make a new bomb or something.

1 person likes this.
  8. deleted

deleted Visitor

I think cows on Mars would be interesting. We could first colonize some grassy placed and put cows there in space suits. Now the cows eat the grass, and fart methane .. We can greenhouse gas the Mars atmosphere in the meantime creating humongous cows .. Process the cows and ship them frozen back to Earth and open McMars restaurants all over the place. Thus ending world hunger.. :scholar:

3 people like this.
  9. machinist

machinist Banned Lifetime Supporter

If we can terraform mars then why not terraform the sahara desert. I dont get it. Im a critic of Neil Degrasse Tyson, but he says if we can make other planets livable, we can make this planet livable.

2 people like this.
  10. Tyrsonswood

Tyrsonswood Senior Moment Lifetime Supporter

We seem to be doing just the opposite though...

11. machinist

Agree, however lets work on this planet before we go to others. Why make another utopian planet that we take care of when we dont take care of our own?

12. Irminsul

Irminsul Valkyrie

They probably can't Terraform anything anyway so they won't fix earth because they can't so they just make up stuff which none of us will ever see in our lives and therefore are completely naive to it all.

But we know science fiction sells. So science fiction is what they're selling and it's what most people buy into.

13. 6-eyed shaman

6-eyed shaman Sock-eye salmon

Exactly. Why cure the earth when we can escape it and go into space? Plenty of resources up there lol

14. Irminsul

Irminsul Valkyrie

Too bad we will exhaust the earth of materials to reach the space age lol. Gone have to wait for more aliens to come to us.

15. Beach Ball Lady Balls

Beach Ball Lady Balls Banned

Funny, what percentage of the world dies of hunger? If it has not killed you then it is not the problem they make it out to be. I am hingry right now, and yesterday I missed two meals of the day! Omg I went hungry!

I think it is a good idea to send them to space to live, then I won't have to watch those money grabbing, bleeding heart commercials anymore.

I found this laughable, without supplying the data for their numbers they just toss it out there, sounds like propaganda bs the UN is pushing out with their agenda. So not only is starvation, lack of resources a problem but they manage to bring war into the equation, refugees, and climate change into it. I have yet to see a skeletal refugee or immigrant and I see a lot of them daily!

16. Noserider

Noserider Goofy-Footed Member

Meanwhile, we have people vilifying GMOs.

17. machinist

There are so many issues with this statement I dont even know where to begin

18. machinist

GMO's are worth vilifying.

3 people like this.
  19. machinist

I think the advanced technology that can potentially be developed is elegant in such a way that it won't be this big bulky mechanical mess that uses tons of material and fuel. Once the lid gets blown off all this bullshit we call technology and we enter a new paradigm, a spacecraft that is capable of transporting a small group of people to the other side of the universe in the blink of an eye may be light weight enough that it only takes a few people to lift it.

20. Joshua Tree

Are you malnourished? Do you have stunted growth and development from lack of nourishment in childhood?

2 people like this.