Working on My Restaurant Shyness (with the help of an ally)

Discussion in 'Barefoot' started by Deleted member 322887, Jul 19, 2022.

1. The last big hurdle I have faced for years is going into restaurants barefoot. I have gone barefoot plenty of times in fast food places, but not in traditional sit down restaurants.

A couple months back I finally went barefoot in a restaurant for lunch and the next day for breakfast. I only give myself half credit for that as it was a restaurant on a pier at the beach. There were other barefoot customers when I was in there.

And now I have found an ally…my stepson encourages me to go barefoot in restaurants. He has lived in Florida 20 years longer than I have, and he told me that I likely can go barefoot in most any restaurant along the beachfront barrier island where I live.

It’s almost a game now. As we pull up to a restaurant he will tell me “you don’t need shoes in here.” Or simply say “no shoes.” He gets a kick out of my quirky barefoot lifestyle. He is a part time barefooter himself but is not ready to take the leap toward going into stores or restaurants without at least flip flops on.

So far his “barefoot instincts” have been right. No issues at two other places. They were “order at the counter” type places with tables for inside dining. Obviously the entire staff could see me walk in barefoot.

There is a mom and pop diner up the road that attracts both tourists and even more locals. I plan on testing that out next time my stepson is in town. And yes, I could drive up and go in myself except for the fact I don’t go to restaurants by myself. I used to do that quite often. But no longer enjoy the experience.

In the long run I would like a list of barefoot friendly restaurants I can take out-of-town guests. Likely none of them will go in barefoot but I will. All of us will enjoy the experience If for no other reason than I’m a much more congenial host when I’m barefoot.

Kind of long-winded post. But I will keep you updated as I further attack this crazy barefoot shyness about going into restaurants.

Would love to hear your thoughts and experiences.

2. TheGreatShoeScam

TheGreatShoeScam Members

Call me a sellout what ever but I was at the Wafflehouse a few weeks ago late at night here in the florida beach town I live in wearing flip flops and someone came in barefoot and was asked to leave.

It was messed up, I opened my mouth and said there is no health department mandates about shoes and made bets pay for my meal if I am wrong you cant make up bullcrap in the age of the internet.

I dont know. My suggestion is that we live in the age of these cell phone computers so if anyone pulls the health code mythical shit about bare feet say google it.

Google it, show my your right and I am wrong. Go for it. Show me the F health code. Give you $100 show me the code you know about....

3. hippyphile

hippyphile Member

Great response! I have often thought of making the same wager, with the money going to the claimant's favorite charity.

Barefoot Land-Surfer likes this.
  4. Barefoot Land-Surfer

Barefoot Land-Surfer Members

Going to restaurants barefoot has been a big hurdle for me as well, for the reason that it is uncommon here.

At a recent sit-down restaurant where I'd slipped off my minimalist sandals to enjoy my meal barefoot, someone in my fully shod group suggested that I not walk out of the restaurant barefoot afterward. He expressed concern that doing so could potentially put the restaurant at risk of having its food license suspended or revoked for having someone walking around in there with bare feet.

Something like that had never even crossed my mind. Being that it was our favorite restaurant and not wanting to risk the possibility of any complaints from other patrons, I reluctantly donned my sandals and walked the brief way out before slipping them back off again. It was ridiculous. What do you guys think? Was that even a legitimate "issue" he proposed?

5. Barefoot Rick

Barefoot Rick I love my dirty bare feet

I don’t think so I have go in restaurants barefoot with no problems. And you are not eating with your toes. And I have seen others in restaurants that slip off their flip flops while they are eating.

6. mmicmann

mmicmann Member

I don't think there are any such rules or laws.

7. xkr404

xkr404 Member

I have been barefoot in restaurants twice now, both times because I was already barefoot and didn’t have shoes with me. Neither of them were the ritz but not fast food either.

8. Barefoot Land-Surfer

Thank you all, for your input. I had a hunch he was just making it up on the spot. You guys confirmed it. Next time, I'm walking out barefoot!

Barefoot Rick likes this.
  9. Barefoot Rick

That’s great barefoot land-surfer you have to be you don’t let anyone tell you anything different

10. Barefoot Land-Surfer

Thanks barefoot Rick. If nothing else, living barefoot does teach us to be true to ourselves.

11. Barefoot Rick

Yes it does barefoot land-surfer

12. goodearth

goodearth Member

I would have done what you did..... for the sake of my friend's feelings about it. Nevertheless, I can be unpredictable sometimes..... hehe.

13. Barefoot Land-Surfer

Thanks, goodearth. Honoring my friend's feelings was the right thing to do in that case. I think I'll take up being unpredictable sometimes too, to add some fun and spice to life. :)

14. bfgaacnd

bfgaacnd Member

Going barefoot to a restaurant is one of my favorite bare activities. When on vacation, my wife and I go barefoot whenever we eat out. I love the textures of the floors (not to mention of my wife resting her bare feet on mine). Meals are much more relaxing without shoes. We were in Daytona Beach this spring and visited about a dozen different places barefoot. We actually had one restaurant with five of the six customers dining barefoot. I was not wearing a shirt either, adding to the relaxation. I definitely recommend going barefoot when eating out, especially with a spouse/boyfriend/girlfriend. The worst potential is that you get turned away which in our experience is very unlikely, especially if there is more than one barefooter.