Workin and dying

Discussion in 'Random Thoughts' started by Jo King, Jun 8, 2013.

1. Jo King

Jo King wannabe

I was hanging out with some friend last night and the subject of friend that have died in this industry came up. We named off over 30 people we know that have been killed on the job. It was only 4 of us and that's not a complete list of people we knew I'm sure.
    I never use to think about it but a few years ago we came close to sinking. I've been in some bad situation where it could have sunk over the 30+ years I've been doing this but that was the first time I really thought this boat could go down.
    So I'm wondering how likelyis it that you could really get killed at work?

2. IamnotaMan

IamnotaMan I am Thor. On sabba-tickle. Still available via us

Yeah I've heard how dangerous your job can be. Reminds me of that film..was it The Perfect Storm?

Me? Hmm, being dead doesn't appeal to me so I'm quite "death intolerant" ie reduce my chances of meeting the Grim Reaper. (I once saw a Grim Reaper type character on account of the "supplements" as I was taking at the time...)

In my work, I've known a few people "disappear" in one form or another.
    Won't say much more. But life does have its risks whatever path u take. A couple of my good friends met untimely ends... : (

3. I'minmyunderwear

I'minmyunderwear Newbie

not very likely. less at my new job than the one i just left, although the new job has a greater risk of being responsible for someone else's death. which a lot of people will claim is even worse, although i personally would rather be guilty than dead.

4. SpacemanSpiff

SpacemanSpiff Visitor

my occupation is a safe one if you follow common sense

i remember back in college though a guy in the parking lot had a car fall him and kill him while he was trying to fix something for someone in the parking lot (the guy wasnt a student though)

5. machinist

machinist Banned Lifetime Supporter

thats funny i was just changing my tire today and put another tire rim underneath the car in case it fell it would fall on top of that bitch. a machine shop can definitely kill your ass dead, but the worse i ever got was a some cuts.. some pretty good, but none that needed stitches. now if you were to get clothing or hair stuck in a lathe.. or if a part came out or if you left a wrench in the chuck... or in cnc machining some of machines can have really really fast "rapid" modes for moving from a to b that can knock your ass out, and they're not going to stop once they meet you either. i used to work on a big horizontal machining center with a push of a button would send this huge spindle right to you for easy access, but it was coming at 2000 inch/minute, so if someone else was in there fucking with something or standing there as you push the button, it was a hazard

6. SpacemanSpiff

SpacemanSpiff Visitor

i saw a minivan on the shoulder a few days ago and the guy was so close to getting the tire on before it fell...the tire was standing up still but his fender was sticking out sideways lol

7. machinist

i bought one of those little pump jacks, years ago, but it wasn't big enough for my big truck. now im in a small car again and i haven't put that jack back in my car. the jack that came with this nissan blows.. at least the jerry rigged handle does

8. machinist

friend of mine seen a guy get his hands cut off, and before that i guy got his head cut off on a vertical lathe.. at a westinghouse machine shop

9. bird_migration

bird_migration ~

It is very unlikely I get killed at work. Just wondering, why do you risk your life for a little money? Isn't your life worth more to you?

10. cynthy160

cynthy160 Senior Member

Forklift accidents. Be sure to watch the one at the end of the video.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LzBVMPzZsj0"]TOP 10 FORKLIFT ACCIDENTS - YouTube

11. newbie-one

newbie-one one with the newbiverse

being a fisherman is one of the most dangerous and difficult jobs out there relative to the pay

12. LetLovinTakeHold

LetLovinTakeHold Cuz it will if you let it

There are many things that could kill me at work that i face everyday. But as long as I take proper caution I'm relatively safe.

I've had my fair share of nasty cuts but luckily that's all so far.

13. LetLovinTakeHold

LetLovinTakeHold Cuz it will if you let it

I watched a guy turn on a lathe with the chuck key still in it. Luckily no one was hurt....but still that's scary shit.

The same guy, just a few days later, turned on the mill with the wrench still on the spindle. You think he'd learn....

14. SpacemanSpiff

SpacemanSpiff Visitor

are you just guessing his wages?

im pretty sure its safe to say most fishermen are paid very well...

15. Jondalar

Jondalar Banned

View attachment 51705
    I drive this so anytime is dangerous, what with all the cockheads on our roads.

16. bird_migration

bird_migration ~

Not guessing anything, but even if they pay me 100k a month I won't risk my life for that.

17. Piney

Piney Lifetime Supporter Lifetime Supporter

Rock n Roll is the industry with the highest mortality rate.

Commercial fishing and lumbering are right behind.

18. Mike Suicide

Mike Suicide Sweet and Tender Hooligan

There's almost no chance of death in my line of work. However I have come across a lot of shady people in the past, but I've learned never to ask to many questions. As long as they cut me a check for services rendered, their business is none of my business.

19. Jo King

Jo King wannabe

Who knows why I do this but it's been a great life for me. I've made a very good living and only work 4 months out of the year. The fact that when we leave tomorrow morning it could end up with me dying isn't something I worry about, it's not likely but possible. I only work for respectable people with well maintained boats.
    Who really thinks they are going to die doing what ever the are doin. At least I'm paid well, some coal miner, truck driver or construction worker that get paid nothing have it a lots worse in my opinion.
    So yeah I guess the pay makes it possible I guess. But on the other hand I consider my life priceless so what do I know.

20. machinist

one of the #1 rules: hand should NEVER be taken off of chuck key while in chuck.

same goes for mill, but lathe especially. more likely to break the draw bar in the mill if you leave the wrench on there.