Words

Discussion in 'Buddhism' started by darrellkitchen, Jan 13, 2005.

1. darrellkitchen

darrellkitchen Lifetime Supporter

Because we all share an identical need for love, it is possible to feel that anybody we meet in whatever circumstances is a brother or sister.

- H.H. the Dalai Lama

2. darrellkitchen

Humans are not machines; we are something more. We have feeling and experience. Material comforts are not sufficient to satisfy us. We need something deeper -- human affection.

- H.H. the Dalai Lama

3. darrellkitchen

To be a good human being, that is the most import thing. I myself am also trying to be a good person. Sometimes I fail, but I try. That is a source of one's own happiness.

- H.H. the Dalai Lama

4. darrellkitchen

Freedom is a human need; it may be even more than human. I have a cat. People feed this cat; they pet this cat; they give the cat everything he needs. But every time the window is open just a little, he runs away.

- H.H. the Dalai Lama

5. darrellkitchen

In any human society where you want and need progress, it is essential to have freedom.

- H.H. the Dalai Lama

6. darrellkitchen

Those who wage war in the name of religion have failed to look beyond their religion to other faiths they oppose. If they did examine other faiths, they would recognize the same desire for transformation.

- H.H. the Dalai Lama

7. darrellkitchen

We must not neglect our inner values. If we become slaves of money, we can't be a happy person. If we expect all our problems to be solved by external means, that is a mistake.

- H.H. the Dalai Lama

8. darrellkitchen

Human intelligence should be used properly, which alone could lead to subduing physical pain and lead to a meaninful life.

- H.H. the Dalai Lama

9. darrellkitchen

If we each selfishly pursue only what we believe to be in our own interest, without caring about the needs of others, we not only end up harming others but also ourselves.

- H.H. the Dalai Lama

10. darrellkitchen

If a problem is fixable, if a situation is such that you can do something about it, then there is no need to worry. If it's not fixable, then there is no help in worrying. There is no benefit in worrying whatsoever.

- H.H. the Dalai Lama

11. darrellkitchen

There can be no peace as long as there is grinding poverty, social injustice, inequality, oppression, environmental degradation, and as long as the weak and small continue to be trodden by the mighty and powerful.

- H.H. the Dalai Lama

12. darrellkitchen

Tyranny is essentially against human nature. It can't work. It is against nature's law, so therefore no force can stop human nature winning.

- H.H. the Dalai Lama

13. darrellkitchen

Buddhist culture provides for a gentler attitude toward nature and toward other human beings.

- H.H. the Dalai Lama

14. darrellkitchen

It is my belief that whereas the twentieth century has been a century of war and untold suffering, the twenty-first century should be one of peace and dialogue.

- H.H. the Dalai Lama

15. darrellkitchen

I believe that economic advancement and respect for individual rights are closely linked. A society cannot fully maximize its economic advantage without granting its people individual civil and political rights.

- H.H. the Dalai Lama

16. darrellkitchen

I'm trying to promote the value of compassion and not just based on attachment to those who are close to you but rather for all beings, irrespective of what that person does to you, or whether they are your enemy or not.

- H.H. the Dalai Lama

17. darrellkitchen

I'm always against violence.

- H.H. the Dalai Lama

18. darrellkitchen

Tashi Delek

- Tibetan for "Good Wishes"

19. darrellkitchen

Although the world's major religions have different theologies and traditions, they share a common goal of compassion and peace.

- H.H. the Dalai Lama

20. darrellkitchen

The road to happiness is rigged with land mines. These are destructive emotions that cause pain and suffering and can be triggered at any time by people whose minds are not trained to apply the antidotes to overpower the negative with the positive.

- H.H. the Dalai Lama