Words Brits use that Americans don't?

Discussion in 'U.K.' started by Candy Gal, Jan 10, 2020.

1. roadhogg

roadhogg Senior Member

but WTF is a jack n danny ?

Candy Gal likes this.
  2. Candy Gal

Candy Gal Lifetime Supporter

Fanny.

marcco likes this.
  3. roadhogg

roadhogg Senior Member

stop being dirty you ,,ill come n give you a pearl necklace

Candy Gal likes this.
  4. Candy Gal

I don't know that one????

5. roadhogg

roadhogg Senior Member

jizz over your tits ,lol

Candy Gal likes this.
  6. Candy Gal

You know more than me.
    I have never heard that before.

7. Bicaptain My Captain

Bicaptain My Captain Members

Maybe it is an American term. Like a dirty sanchez. (You don't want to know that one.)

Candy Gal likes this.
  8. Candy Gal

Never heard of that either
    I must get Boozy here.
    There are words used in Liverpool I have no idea what they mean
    Scouse talk

9. roadhogg

roadhogg Senior Member

I no that scousers ,call chewing gum ,,spoogie

Candy Gal likes this.
  10. Candy Gal

Do they?

11. roadhogg

roadhogg Senior Member

they did in 1979.lol

12. Candy Gal

I may search for that. lol

13. Candy Gal

Here’s 12 Scouse words and sayings we love….
    1 – Queen
    One for the old school scousers but it's making a comeback! There’s nothing more lovely than hearing your nan, mum, aunties and basically any woman older than you, call you Queen. What a privilege.

2 – Me Mum and R Baby
    It’s not possible to simply say…’ yes mum will have a glass of prosecco too’ in scouse. It’s more like ‘Me mum said she’ll have a glass of prosecco as well’. And Our Baby! ‘Awww have you seen our baby in her new school uniform?’ ‘Did you see our baby dressed as a pumpkin for Halloween.’ We truly take ownership of our family, that’s what we call love.

3 – Boss/Sound
    If something is good, it used to be ‘gear’ in Liverpool. But for anyone under the age of 40, it’s boss or sound. Never gets old, never goes out of fashion. Its just boss.

4 – Bevvy
    The vast majority of people enjoy a drink and why waste valuable drinking time by harking back to Dickensian England with language like to ask ‘would thou desire a beverage? Point at your mate and shout Bevvy while doing the hand gesture of taking a swig. Simples.

5 – G’wed
    Shortened slang for ‘go ahead’ this term can be used to literally tell someone to g’wed, but also as a kinda high five when someone has done something or achieved something boss (see point 3). G’wed Girl! Lost 3lbs in Slimming Werld hasn’t she! Boss!

6 – Made Up
    Ahhh we’re made up you’re reading this article about all things scouse you know. Being made up is the best thing ever. All good news should be met with ‘Ahhh I’m made up for you’. Winning an Oscar, remembering your £1 for an Asda trolley or even putting your bins out on the right day after a bank holiday. Made up.

7 – Geggin’ In
    Lad, it’s none of your business, stop gegging in. Urgh, gegs though. There’s always one in your workplace, sticks their nose in, and tbf, nan’s are a boss gegs too. Always get the final say in family arguments.

8 – Soft Lad
    An affectionate term used to call out any male who doesn’t something stupid, but you still love them and don’t want to quite resort to point 9 below.

9 – Gobshite
    A term used for anyone who annoys you……sometimes just breathing is bad enough. Used by all generations and will never get old. ‘You’re well rid of him babe, pure gobshite’. Say no more.

10 – Ya Wha?
    Pardon just doesn’t wash this far north. Not hearing someone, or hearing and not believing they’ve just had the audacity to say it, is routinely met with, ya wha? Giving the speaker just a fraction of time to rethink, back track or basically leg it!

11 – Sittin’ Off
    When we’re not going out, we don’t chill out or hang out, we sit off. Going round me mums to sit off for a bit. Goin’ me mates for a sit off. Shall we just get a bottle of wine and sit off? Yeah, sound.

12 – Is Right!
    Similar to G’wed in its affection, Is Right is again like a high five to hearing good news, an owner reunited with their lost dog, finding a fiver in your coat pocket, or you know like world peace. Is right!

14. Boozercruiser

Boozercruiser Kenny Lifetime Supporter

This just reminded me....
    Being born in Liverpool one of my favourite sayings when me and me mates were hanging around the dance floor in the local dance hall thinking about who to ask for a dance.

I would always say:

Flucking hell mate, I don't think much of yours.

She s a right 'Double Bagger'! :imp:

That meant she would need two bags over her head before I would want to give her one! :laughing:

[​IMG]

[​IMG] :laughing:

Grand prix and Candy Gal like this.
  15. Candy Gal

omg

Do you know anymore sayings?

Boozercruiser likes this.
  16. Boozercruiser

Boozercruiser Kenny Lifetime Supporter

I think you have covered most in your post above Gal.
    And I use the below one quite a lot towards anyone I cannot stand.

This one covers Bad Vlad very well.
    That's for sure! :laughing:

Re Posted:

9 – Gobshite

A term used for anyone who annoys you……sometimes just breathing is bad enough! :laughing::laughing::laughing:

Used by all generations and will never get old.

‘You’re well rid of Blue Gal.
    She is a pure gobshite’. :laughing::laughing::laughing:

[​IMG]

Say no more!!!:laughing:

Re Posted:

Here’s 12 Scouse words and sayings we love….
    1 – Queen
    One for the old school scousers but its making a comeback! There’s nothing more lovely than hearing your nan, mum, aunties and basically any woman older than you, call you Queen. What a privilege.

2 – Me Mum and R Baby
    It’s not possible to simply say…’yes mum will have a glass of prosecco too’ in scouse. It’s more like ‘Me mum said she’ll have a glass of prosecco as well’. And Our Baby! ‘Awww have you seen our baby in her new school uniform?’ ‘Did you see our baby dressed as a pumpkin for Halloween.’ We truly take ownership of out family, that’s what we call love.

MORE: Love your culture? Here’s all of Liverpool’s latest culture news
    3 – Boss/Sound

If something is good, it used to be ‘gear’ in Liverpool. But for anyone under the age of 40, it’s boss or sound. Never gets old, never goes out of fashion. Its just boss.

4 – Bevvy
    The vast majority of people enjoy a drink and why waste valuable drinking time by harking back to Dickensian England with language like to ask ‘would thou desire a beverage? Point at your mate and shout Bevvy while doing the hand gesture of taking a swig. Simples.

5 – G’wed
    Shortened slang for ‘go ahead’ this term can be used to literally tell someone to g’wed, but also as a kinda high five when someone has done something or achieved something boss (see point 3). G’wed Girl! Lost 3lbs in Slimming Werld hasn’t she! Boss!

6 – Made Up
    Ahhh we’re made up you’re reading this article about all things scouse you know. Being made up is the best thing ever. All good news should be met with ‘Ahhh I’m made up for you’. Winning an Oscar, remembering your £1 for an Asda trolley or even putting your bins out on the right day after a bank holiday. Made up.

7 – Geggin’ In
    Lad, it’s none of your business, stop gegging in. Urgh, gegs though. There’s always one in your workplace, sticks their nose in, and tbf, nan’s are a boss gegs too. Always get the final say in family arguments.

MORE: All the latest music news for Liverpool is here
    8 – Soft Lad

An affectionate term used to call out any male who doesn’t something stupid, but you still love them and don’t want to quite resort to point 9 below.

9 – Gobshite
    A term used for anyone who annoys you……sometimes just breathing is bad enough. Used by all generations and will never get old. ‘You’re well rid of him babe, pure gobshite’. Say no more.

10 – Ya Wha?
    Pardon just doesn’t wash this far north. Not hearing someone, or hearing and not believing they’ve just had the audacity to say it, is routinely met with, ya wha? Giving the speaker just a fraction of time to rethink, back track or basically leg it!

11 – Sittin’ Off
    When we’re not going out, we don’t chill out or hang out, we sit off. Going round me mums to sit off for a bit. Goin’ me mates for a sit off. Shall we just get a bottle of wine and sit off? Yeah, sound.

12 – Is Right!
    Similar to G’wed in its affection, Is Right is again like a high five to hearing good news, an owner reunited with their lost dog, finding a fiver in your coat pocket, or you know like world peace. Is right!

Last edited: Mar 30, 2020
    Candy Gal likes this.
  17. Candy Gal

Oh she will be back.

I may do Irish sayings next.

18. .

Last edited by a moderator: Feb 16, 2021
    Candy Gal likes this.
  19. .

Last edited by a moderator: Feb 16, 2021
    DrRainbow likes this.
  20. Candy Gal

That is what we call a scone. I have been to America a few times.

Of course, I have a multitude of my own words too.
    For example I often poodle around.:D

Outdoor Sport likes this.