Wool Dreads

Discussion in 'Dreadlocks' started by HateWasJustALegend, Aug 18, 2005.

1. HateWasJustALegend

HateWasJustALegend Member

Im not exactly sure how its called in english, but while I was in France, a lot of people had these things that connected to their hair and just went all the way down to their hips, or however long you wanted them...do you know where I could get some? you know what im talking about? It's made out of wool, and if someone could just tell me how to make it myself, I could do that...since my parents don't let me get dreads, i would like to have some of those...

2. knottyinthemaritimes

knottyinthemaritimes Member

synthetic extentions thats wat their called and thats about all i kno about them

3. HateWasJustALegend

no its not synthetic extensions, but thanks anyway...
    I only know what its called in French "Les Atebas" maybe its the same thing as in english im not sure...here's a few pictures of what it looks like...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

i hope these help...

4. Crayola

Crayola =)

i had one in my hhair when i was like 14. and we calleed those "nattes indiennes", which means "indian braid". dont ask me why

5. HateWasJustALegend

your from france? i lived in Lyon for a year, my brother is going to go to Paris in a week for a year...but could you explain how I could do it?

my hair isn't extremely long,only to my shoulders, but i want the atebas to be longer than my hair...

6. Crayola

Crayola =)

i am ffrench indeed.
    aznd this kind of braid isnt typically french i think..
    anyway, u just take fine colored wool threads, abuot 3 of them, and tie them around a small lock of hair tightt on your headd, then u roll the thread around the lock from top to bottom real tight. it takes some time, and u have to tie it real tight

(im tipsyy)
    and i cant find my words... but i hope u got that =)

7. HateWasJustALegend

i think i understood.
    You take a braid...or even just loose hair, tie a knot at the root, and start rolling it around your hair really tight, but how would you make it go passed your hair? and how to I finish it?

8. Crayola

Crayola =)

yea u got it.. and
    ok so u tiee up a few wool threads at the root, but u let some longer oness go with the lock of hair and u go around them as well.. so when theres no hair left u still have wool threadds

aahha im confused by my own explanation
    oplease understand me

9. knottyinthemaritimes

they look like dread wraps to mee check out dread wraps thread and c if thats it

10. HateWasJustALegend

Thank you Crayola, I think I might have understood how to do it, I will see if my friend can do this for me, and if she has any questions about it that I can't answer I will ask you...thanks again.

dread wraps, aren't exactly what I was looking for, because those you can still see your hair, and from what i've seen it has one color, and it can't go farther than the tip of your hair, correct me if im wrong.

11. toolmaggot

toolmaggot Nuts Go Here.

Here. Sew long strands of yarn onto the tip of your dread, and make 'em as long as you want the french fucker thing to be. Then just wrap your hair like you would with a dread wrap. Wrap all the way down the yarn.

I used to do hair wraps like that on my sisters and friends.

12. knottyinthemaritimes

13. toolmaggot

toolmaggot Nuts Go Here.

You've motivated me. I now have one wrap that's about 5 inches longer than the rest of my dreads. wee. I'll post a picture of it soon.

14. knottyinthemaritimes

15. HateWasJustALegend

Well I guess that's what it is, but it doesn't look that great in that site, all of the wool dreads are the same color, I would prefer getting just two of them, and both of them have three different colors...

here's a good picture of what it basically looks like with different colors, I think it looks great.

[​IMG]

16. knottyinthemaritimes

link dident work

17. HateWasJustALegend

link is working fine with me...