Woody Guthrie?

Discussion in 'Music' started by Monsieur Banjo, May 18, 2004.

1. Monsieur Banjo

Monsieur Banjo Member

2. drumminmama

drumminmama Super Moderator Lifetime Supporter

You are not alone, my child.

I was at the first three Woody Guthrie Free Fests in Okemah (birthplace). i also have a kid named Arlo who loves "Pretty Boy Floyd."
    Deportees or 1913 Massacree are my faves.
    Got turned onto him at a young age, 4 or 5, and really wandered away for several years. Bought a Smithsonian record in the late 80s and been back in the bosom of folk since.

3. Monsieur Banjo

Monsieur Banjo Member

4. drumminmama

One of the most spine chilling moments I had at the last FFF was in the Crystal (the paid theatre in town) with Jimmy LaFave, Don Conoscenti and Ellis Paul all singing together... oooooooooooooooooooww wwwwwwwwwwww.

I find i prefer his writing over his voice.

5. Lindiglo

Lindiglo Member

I love Woody! I love his son, Arlo too who runs a charity http://www.guthriecenter.org/main.shtml
    and still tours. You can see an actor as Woody Guthrie in the movie version of Arlo's "Alice's Restaurant"
    sorry if this post made no sense
    Lindi

6. ImaPeach

ImaPeach Member

it made sense lindi!

i love arlo too... woody's classic, but arlo is just peace all over!

7. drumminmama

Arlo once broke my toe at the FFF. I was chatting with a friend who was just out of hospital from a heart attack, had one of my ski-feet furned out at a 90 degree angle (I'm told that's weird).

Arlo comes over, plops his chair down on my toe ...which I didn't notice until he sat down.
    He was sweet about it, apologized, asked if I wanted to go to one of the cities (hour away either way) for a hospital, but I bound it with gaffer's tape instead.
    of the three times they've been broken, that one was definitely the best story.
    Unfortunately, he recognized me as the bumbling college reporter who talked to him a year before. He did remember that my son was named Arlo and that I'm seeking copies of the Arlo books, for which AG was named.

8. Lindiglo

Lindiglo Member

That's wild! That really is a better story than "I slammed it in a door" or something. Heehee.
    Lindi

9. drumminmama

let's see, first break- horse stomp, age 3. second, fall from same horse, age 6.

third, wrestling with brother age 8. Mom is pretty pissed and takes to home splinting (it's never going to be straight now anyway)
    fourth, car door (brother again) also nailed two fingers. All taped.
    fifth... don't remember. Probably a staircase stub or fall, 19.
    sixth. same toes a week later. seventh, got guthried, age... oh THAT's not importatnt anymore ;)
    eighth... hoping there won't be an eighth.

10. Lindiglo

Lindiglo Member

Do yourself a favour and stay away from horses and folk singers!
    Lindi