Woman Sterotype

Discussion in 'Women's Forum' started by Angel_Headed_Hipster, May 29, 2004.

1. RetroGroove_Grrl

RetroGroove_Grrl I'm a big girl now

live and let live

but, steroetypes do come from asome form of reality

2. Crystaleyez

Crystaleyez Member

So...how do you know if they have self esteem or not? How do you know they're not making willing toys out of these boys they sleep with? I dress the way I want I sleep with whomever I want and if anyone wants to judge me go right ahead, everyone is free to think what they want to think. You know, as long as its not hurting anybody.

If these "slutty" women and girls aren't lying and cheating and hurting then I say all the power to them. The human body is a wonderful tool that can be used for all kinds of physical pleasure.

To deprive oneself of something as cool as sex, in my humble opinion, is a pretty silly thing to do.

3. Angel_Headed_Hipster

Angel_Headed_Hipster Senior Member

This was when I was 16, im a lot different now...but i wasnt targetting people who sleep around or act a certain way, thats not what i meant to do even know it sounds like it...all im trying to say is these woman who go around trying to be feminists and are all like "oh were oppressed by men they treat us like sexual objects blah blah blah" but in reality its just as much their fellow woman's faults then men's fault...thats what im saying.

Crystal thats fine you wanna live like that i think thats perfectly acceptable, im just saying dont complain about woman being treated a certain way by men like they are premiscuous or something.

4. Crystaleyez

Crystaleyez Member

I don't live like that, but I don't judge anyone for it. i can't honestly say I've never lived like that either.
    If I get disrespected by anyone man, woman or child I will complain and they will know they done me wrong, honey. Everyone deserves respect.

5. RetroGroove_Grrl

RetroGroove_Grrl I'm a big girl now

If an uindividualk doesnt have control over what tey do and say they are not worht knowing. People who are disrespectful and blame it on society are jerks.

6. MikeE

MikeE Hip Forums Supporter HipForums Supporter

Women have as much influance on culture as men. ("Culture" is not limited to TV or the media) If our culture holds that men are superior to women, both women and men are part of spreading that culture.

AND, both men and women (especialy boys and girls) are equaly infulanced by the messages that culture sends.

7. fistermister

fistermister Member

I agree. I think notions of patriarchy are a bit too black and white, and quite redundant. What is sometimes called patriarchy is often perpetuated by women. Both women and men have an interest in perpetuating gender roles.

A more neutral term than patriarchy needs to be devised. It needs to be recognised that both men and women perpetuate, and are limited by, gender roles. Maybe something closer to Marxist Feminist analysis, but less political (if that makes sense), needs to be devised. Such an analysis would also need to be conducted by both men and women, in equal partnership, and across the gender divide. So in a sense, it would no longer be a feminist analysis, but it would remain a gender analysis.

8. makno

makno Senior Member

hey my computer plays music ....why not a sterio that types ?

9. ButtonGear

ButtonGear Member

The answer to this equation is very simple:

Consequences exist for all of us; ultimately no one is immune from them. We all choose our consequences, for the most part, by our thoughts and actions.

How we dress, act and behave sexually (or otherwise) WILL have sociological and personal consequences - good or bad. It's not "a downer," "bad" or anyone "imposing their morals" on anyone else; it's just life.

... and life has consequences.

10. Crystaleyez

Crystaleyez Member

Well said ButtonGear

11. Snowdancer

Snowdancer Member

It's phenomenal how people treat me differently. I am sure that many of them are absolutely sure that they are dealing with someone of lesser intelligence. I know that the chemicals that are used to color hair are hard on the hair but I don't think that they have soaked into my brain & effected that.

I also often get treated more like they would a child. I am not sure if that is the same thing or not.

I'm also more likely to have a car slow & let me cross at a crosswalk or have a gentleman open the door for me or get waited on by the cute bartender. These are all good things though...

12. FrozenMoonbeam

FrozenMoonbeam nerd

Hey man, it's really cool that you can acknowledge changing your mind. Rate that :)

now for my couple of cents -

firstly, i think there is a huge difference between being treated like a sexual object and a sexual being. It is damaging and oppressive when you are just viewed as an object, it takes away autonomy and makes you like a glorified blow up doll. Men should treat women as beings, not things (and vice versa).

And secondly, just to reiterate - feminism is not about being celibate. I feel really sad for those girls who have sex just to validate themselves, but not all girls having sex are doing so. Sex is pretty fun, let's face it!

I think women and men - people - can embrace their sexuality without being sluts. But that requires treating your partner(s) like beings, not objects, only going as far as you truly want to and being safe both physically and emotionally.

Ah, what a ramble :)

13. dances in pajamas

dances in pajamas strange little girl

I think men vew women who bare a lot of skin as "slutty" or "skanky" because they objectify a woman's sexuality. If you were to see a woman baring a lot of skin and had a healthy attitude towards a woman's sexuality, one might say, "Put some clothes on!" instead of "What a slut."

The media and how everyone portrays scantily-clad women definitely has an impact on people's opinions on a woman solely by her dress. Just because you wear tight clothing that may be a few inches away from underwear doesn't mean you're a "slut."