Wit's end

Discussion in 'Mental Health' started by Piobaire, Mar 28, 2022.

1. Piobaire

Piobaire Village Idiot

Mate's tearfully pleading with me that she desperately needs me to "just believe her"...that our house is bugged, internet hacked, and phones tapped. All of our neighbors are evil, conspiring against us, beaming strange lights and ultrasonic waves at us; they coordinate their efforts by secretly communicating via the street lights. Evil people are creeping around our house at night, silently moving the trees and phone poles.
    You know who REALLY desperately needs to be believed?
    THE ONE WHOSE REALITY TESTING IS INTACT!
    I've been bombarded by her psychosis non-stop for days now; she was up in the night, came to bed early dark thirty, blithering her psychotic nonsense; just how I like to start my day.
    I realize that she's frightened and suffering greatly, but I'm really down to my wit's end, and verging upon being really rude and saying hurtful things I'll surely regret later.

2. Candy Gal

Candy Gal Lifetime Supporter

Mental health is a challenging task.
    Bi-polar?
    You need some professional support.
    Keeping you both in my prayers.

3. Piobaire

Piobaire Village Idiot

Delusional Disorder, Persecutory Type.
    A head injury in a car wreck made everything 100's of times worse. Neurologist just referred her to a psychiatrist; the third psychiatric referral we've had; hopefully this one won't go into the black hole.

Candy Gal likes this.
  4. Candy Gal

Candy Gal Lifetime Supporter

I am so sorry darling. I had a brother-in-law with similar. I used to play along, better than arguing. xxxx

5. peacelove&music

peacelove&music Member

My best friend is getting to this point too. She constantly calls me and tells me I need to go buy dog food because the world is ending on X day or whatever conspiracy she believes at that time. She recently told me she has cancer and it sucks because I don't know whether or not I should even believe her because on top of her delusions she is also a compulsive liar and it's hard to determine fact from fiction with her. She has lived with me off and on for the majority of our adult lives anytime she needs help and as soon as I get her back on her feet she leaves and slips right back into all the lies and delusions. I had to learn to set some really clear boundaries because at some point you will lose yourself if you don't. ❤️

Piobaire likes this.
  6. Piobaire

Piobaire Village Idiot

They're really not liars per se, in the sense that they are not intentionally trying to mislead us. Their perceptions and reality testing is impaired to the point that they truly believe in their delusions. Their brains confabulate in an attempt to integrate discordant bits of erroneous information into some semblance of coherency by filling in the cavernous gaps in their logic, but that's only as accurate as the data they're trying to extrapolate from.