Witchcraft Books

Discussion in 'Books' started by Nathan11, May 12, 2004.

1. Samhain

Samhain Lifetime Supporter Lifetime Supporter

hi Kitty
    thanks for your replie i think when opposing views are delt with, with intelligence and a good information, which you have just done, then forums like this work very well.
    i feel ok about tradional witch craft and accept that most of the rituals i do with my group come from or are adapted from tradional witch craft, however i still do not like the way they delt with sexuality and gender but as you say it is a book of its time, i think anyone from a minority group may find their books hard to swallow.
    by the way i'm not american i'm a british witch!

s

2. kitty fabulous

kitty fabulous smoked tofu

hey, could you PM me? umm, do you mind me asking how old you are? i'd love to discuss the craft with you. most of the british witches i've met have been from an older generation. i really want to hear about the contemporary british scene from someone closer to my age (i'm 32), who is actually there.

i'm not sure but their stance on gender may have changed since the book was first published. although i have issues with the gender-based polarity too. i don't understand why a woman can wear a sword and act like a man in circle, but a man cannot, say, carry a cup and take the traditional female/receptive role? of course as a solitary it doesn't really effect me - having another body in my circle is distracting and drives me buggy, no matter what the gender!

have you seen their books on the god and goddess? they're really pretty good, if you ignore the gender limitations thing. i'd really like to see more written on the horned god.

whoops gotta go, toddler just fell asleep at my feet. awww!

3. drumminmama

drumminmama Super Moderator Super Moderator

gee... can't journalists BE pagan?

I found the Farrars' book to be offsetting in things that were the time and place.
    Their curt dismisal of homosexuality was cold. BUT that was 1970. Stonewall had just happened and Gay Lib was only beginning.
    I do own it still, and I have divested myself of many others, mostly Llewellyn books.

I really like Leonard Shlain's "Art, Time and The Goddess" and "The Goddess Versus the Alphabet."
    I do not agree with all of his conclusions, although I see how he came to them.

drumminmama

4. Samhain

please try and not take my words out of context, i was under the impression that the Farras where not witches when they first started out or wrote the books they where journalists investigating the subject, then they became witches later.

thats a million miles away from saying that a certain group of people can't follow a religion, i don't make judgements about other peoples personnal choices people are free to follow what path they like and i find the implication that i said other wise distasteful

s

5. cerridwen

cerridwen in stitches

I like Llewellyn's annual almanacs.... I get them every year.... they're so great to read!

6. naturegoddess69

naturegoddess69 Member

I love some books from Scott Cunningham & Everyday Wicca by Eve ______? Those books are very informative & interesting. I don't read wicca stuff anymore so these are a lil old.

7. drumminmama

They refer to their own coven, and problems within. They were practising at time of publication.
    I get jumpy when people assume pagans cannot hold down real jobs, and your wording was close to that.
    I am sorry for the assumption.

8. Samhain

thanks for the apology i see where the confusion came in and have private mailed you.

Scott cunnigham; i think his encyolpedias about herbs ,incenses and crystels are the best you can get excellent. his books informing people about witchcraft, i unfortuantly found a little dry and boring.

s

9. drumminmama

Opinions on Magical Household anyone?

It's been offered to me, but I have little space left for books.

10. Samhain

offered as in present.
    hey if its free and its about witch craft, whos complaining??!!

s

11. Gem

Gem Member

I'll give you a suggestion of what NOT to read... $ilver RavenWolf, her books are rubbish!

I reccommend Witch Crafting and Book of Shadows, both by Phyllis Curott. I also like Witchcraft - Theory and Practice by Ly de Angeles.

Fiona Hornes first 2 books are OK, only because I like to read testimonies and learn about different witches' unique practices and points of view.

Watch out for books containing false information about Wicca being an "ancient" religion (and even about Wiccans getting burnt at the stake). Does anyone else get annoyed when people assume that all witches practice Wicca? We don't!