windows xp question

Discussion in 'Computers and The Internet' started by riptiderevolucion, May 27, 2004.

1. riptiderevolucion

riptiderevolucion Member

Seeming out of nowhere, some of my windows have started being a little weird. Sometimes words won't fit on the buttons where they previously fit just fine. For example, when I open "Internet Options" on IE, the words "Delete Cookies" don't completely fit on the button. There are tons of other examples of this going on on my computer. I check for viruses regularly and nothing's coming up wrong there. I haven't changed the font sizes or anything. Similar issues are happening with Outlook. I haven't noticed the problem in any other apps yet.

Any ideas? Other than switching to a different browser and email app, which I plan on doing one of these days. In the meantime, I'd like to figure out what's going on.

Thanks.

2. MaxPower

MaxPower Kicker Of Asses

3. xaosflux

xaosflux Lifetime Supporter Lifetime Supporter

You can try doing a Windows Update...your problem may be restored by a Service Pack or hotfix. You could also uninstall Outlook Express and Internet Explorer, then reinstall them.

4. Flowerian

Flowerian Senior Member

Run a virus scanner... I had problems like it, after running AV it was over.... look at http://www.free-av.de/ it's the best free virus scanner available

(If you don't understand German, click on the "English" button at the left)

5. MattInVegas

MattInVegas John Denver Mega-Fan

XP is weird about Graphics setting, and drivers. Check those too. My machine came with XP Home edition on it, that got F***ed, so I reformatted, and installed XP Pro. Had to download Chipset drivers, Graphics drivers, AND Sound drivers, as well as USB drivers. Screw Bill F****** Gates!

6. jerry420

jerry420 Doctor of everything Lifetime Supporter

bill gates is piece of shit and so are his products

7. Maverick

Maverick Banned

Yes, well, he owns just about everything, get used to it. Besides, be thankful the BSOD's are gone.

8. xaosflux

What are you talking about BSOD's are not gone...unless you swithced to a MAC or have then set to not display...even W2K3SEE has them.

9. Maverick

Maverick Banned

I'm using XP and I haven't gotten one yet.

10. riptiderevolucion

riptiderevolucion Member

Hey, everyone. Thanks for the tips. I downloaded Spybot Search & Destroy. That didn't help this specific problem but it cleared out some spyware/adware junk, so that's cool. I haven't tried reloading IE and Outlook yet. I'm trying to avoid it. Not that it's a real effort, but I'm want to see if I can figure out what the dilly is first. I run Norton AV often so I doubt it's a virus. I figure it's just classic MS bugginess.

One day when I'm feeling more ambitious I'm just going to switch to Linux.

11. xaosflux

your not trying hard enough ;)

By default XP is set ot not show the BSOD's it jsut reboots itself.

12. Maverick

Maverick Banned

My computer has only rebooted when a virus was on the drive. At no other time has it rebooted. Besides, I turned off automatic rebooting.