Will We Have Money In The Future?

Discussion in 'The Future' started by Jimbee68, Sep 14, 2017.

1. WOLF ANGEL

WOLF ANGEL Senior Member - A Fool on the Hill Lifetime Supporter

I think that the money of coinage and notes will go for sure.
    The Rich will have everything electronic
    (Under the guise of security, but in reality a Big Brother monitoring scheme)
    And the Poor ending up with a barter system
    -Whilst the Hope is for Colour, I fear it will be Black and White

2. themnax

themnax Senior Member

there is no black and white and there is never going to be.
    but what there will, won't be an unbroken continuation of what is.

unless, in the unlikely event, ecopocalypse and its accompaning breakdown of our familiar infrastructural environment is somehow completely avoided.
    money is a concept, and while there are unfamiliar ways of implimenting it,
    there is also a natural economic which has nothing to do with the exchanging of tokens of symbolic value.

so essentially there is nothing default nor intrinsic about the concept.

small widely scattered populations with little and slow communication between them, will be on their own,
    to each develop their own options in their own ways.

this is after the ecopocalypse, and the civilization something like the star trek universe will rise from,
    will only come long after the rebuilding from that.

lessons learned the hard way and not forgotten.

3. themnax

themnax Senior Member

i don't see that assumption being made. where are you assuming that it is?

i guess if you want to call learning the hard way what doesn't work "moral superiority" you obviously can.

the only "moral superiority" is the logical realization that universal interest is in our personal interest.
    (not as merely an abstract ideal, but the nuts and bolts of how that actually works.
    which would take a whole book to go into, but with detachment from familiar assumptions, can be readily observed)

FritzDaKatx2 likes this.
  4. wilsjane

wilsjane Nutty Professor HipForums Supporter

The last time that I paid for anything in cash was more than 5 years ago. I use my debit card for everything.
    Here in London, cash is not accepted on public transport, but their are a few machines that accept it to purchase a travel card.
    Last year, Tesco's were going to stop accepting cash, but they changed their mind at the lat minute. Since then, many of their stores only have a few checkouts where cash is accepted.
    One trial supermarket in the city only accepts payment by smart phone app. You simply scan goods as you take them off the shelf and walk out with them. Their is a system in the bar code labels that activates the alarms if you walk out with an item that is not scanned. The shop was designed for Sainsbury's by engineers from Amazon.

5. WOLF ANGEL

….. And so it begins

6. wilsjane

wilsjane Nutty Professor HipForums Supporter

I only regard cash as a token for money, since the metal and paper is of no real value. Therefore my debit card is doing the same job.

However, this does make me feel something of a hypocrite.
    I regularly post that modern living is making the human race redundant and by not using cash, I am depriving people of work and a career.
    From bank staff to shop cashiers, security drivers, which extends to manufacturing the cash and all the equipment that handles it. That list is vast including ATM's parking meters, vending machines and cash tills in every shop in the world.

7. WOLF ANGEL

My concern is that the information stored on a card, could be easily used to monitor, where you go, what you buy, how much you spend etc ……
    Along with this, because of contactless then if one was unaware their card was lost/stolen then the repercussions could be financially crippling

8. themnax

themnax Senior Member

while you're both absolutely correct, money itself, the concept of money, is itself a token symbolizing the concept of quantize value.
    this has been a useful conceptual tool, but it is really kind of chance and arbitrary that humanity hit upon it, and in no way intrinsic to any realities of the physical universe.

thus an economic based on money as a concept is not an intrinsic self sustaining default.

those who are born after the speed bump of the eco-pocalypse, will see for themselves what works for them and what doesn't.
    of course until then, a majority of people's shared perceptions are unlikely to change substantially as to the larger issue.

so when you say future, it very much matters how far into it we're talking about.
    before that probable coming near extinction of humanity, or after it.

and of course if it is actual full on extinction, then the question becomes pointless.
    but that also will not be known before its time.

9. ATField

ATField Members

Honestly, I do not really think that it is something possible in the real life. I mean, let's be objective, as time passes money become more and more important actually. Moreover, how would we get food, medicine, and many many other things?! Seriously, that is something really impossible, at least that is my own opinion. Even more, we are actually getting more and more opportunities to make money. I mean, take a look at the apps described in this article 90 Plus Apps That Pay You Real Money . Dude, there are games, and many other apps giving you the opportunity to get money, do you really think that money would "disappear"? No way!

Last edited: Mar 29, 2021
  10. wooleeheron

wooleeheron Brain Damaged Lifetime Supporter

Humanity is about to vanish down the nearest rabbit hole or toilet of your personal preference, where money will be the least of anyone's concerns. The number of billion dollar private self-contained bomb shelters has more than doubled over the last decade. Shovels will soon replace money as currency, when the dead bodies pile up.

themnax likes this.
  11. themnax

themnax Senior Member

symbolic value, which is the concept of money, has never been and will never be, a default condition of anything.
    it has proven useful for a time, and may continue to do so for a time more.
    we need to "ask the next question"; how did humans become so obsessed with the concept?
    yes its more convenient then dragging a cow around, but why drag a cow around in the furst place?
    is that really the best we could come up with if we weren't told to dis our imaginations?

12. themnax

themnax Senior Member

pretty close, but it isn't things that go boom, or gods floating down out of the sky, but our own destruction of our environments ability to sustain our species.
    oh and there's still a roll of the dice it won't be total.

scratcho likes this.
  13. wooleeheron

Asian cities are already selling cans of fresh air out of vending machines. If left to their own devices, the wealthy would not hesitate to kill half the planet, so they have more fresh air to sell the rest. If left to their own devices, the assholes gladly create their own zoo and environment underground, and laugh when the environment collapsed altogether above ground.

14. themnax

themnax Senior Member

treating any demographic as a monolithic entity is failing to ask the next question. even that of the well off.
    the same can be said of those with a name to conserve who conserve nothing, even those who are not so well off.
    blame alone solves nothing. destroying an existing structure solves nothing without a better one waiting to replace it with.
    and hate only makes problems more difficult to solve while solving nothing.
    familiar assumptions and homilies are insufficient.
    our currently familiar perspectives have not always been. rather they have always evolved and will continue to do so.
    as long as there's an "our" to have them. underground does not produce air to breathe, unless you take a completely self perpetuating environment with you.
    no one has as yet been able to put an environment in a bottle that will self sustain the way our planet's biosphere does.
    so its a fantasy to think anything human will long survive its collapse, no matter how deep a hole they try to dig.
    but again, hatred and pointing fingers isn't going to solve that.
    yes there are inconsiderate people who are well off, and yest they are part of the problem, but it is never logical to label all of anything as being any one monolithic thing.
    any and all hate mongering is part of the problem and no part of any kind of solution.
    if the attackers of consent of the governed had succeeded, they would very soon have found themselves very dissapointed with the result of their having done so.
    i can understand their motivation when i see a homeless camp removed, but i can also see, really when you target an entire demographic, it just doesn't work that way to solve anything.

15. wooleeheron

Knowing who is killing you is essential to survival, as is knowing when to get angry, when to become very, very, fucking angry at the bastards. Fukushima has run out of money to stop all the radioactive crap from pouring into the ocean. Believe me when I say, they knew damned well white collar crime might as well be legal in Japan, knew damned well the reactor was a cheap experimental design, and that the executives were indicted for violating every safety rule possible, five years previously. Like Donald Duck, the wealthy do whatever the fuck they want, and then blame the public.

They will let the crap pour into the ocean, keep killing whales, and cutting down the rainforest, until the environment collapses which, according to the latest estimates, is going to be very soon. You cannot find solutions, if you never acknowledge the problem.

Last edited: May 21, 2021
    scratcho likes this.
  16. themnax

themnax Senior Member

lying to yourself about WHAT is killing you is the exact opposite of survival.
    i'm not apologizing for those who use wealth as an excuse for inconsiderateness, but i'm not apologizing for those who use poverty as an excuse for it either,
    nor for the greater majority then either who's excuse is their social frustration, which to anyone who doesn't hate logic, is kind of obviously self perpetuating.

and likewise it is the dominance of aggressiveness that is antithetical to any kind of freedom, or even civilization.

it isn't some "other""they", it is the statistical consensus of our cultural priorities and perceptions.

the "problem" is conflating narcissism with masculinity, and the bullshit that is ANY gender based behavioral expectations.

looking for scapegoats is not acknowledging the problem, it is the exact opposite and denying it,
    which is the filth fascism always uses as an excuse.

17. scratcho

scratcho Lifetime Supporter Lifetime Supporter

Beginning to look like Bezos will own/ gain control of most of human kinds treasures before the collapse. Half joking of course, but controls are sorely lacking as regards exchange of labor for goods. Plus the environment is going bye-bye as the band plays on. However-Please Remember: BUY MORE . BUY MORE NOW.

Tyrsonswood likes this.
  18. wooleeheron

I'm not looking for any scapegoats, I'm writing a book on how to systematically defeat any institutionalized Three Stooges slapstick, for fun and for profit. They will either figure it out, or die faster.

19. la Principessa

la Principessa Old School HF Member

I think we'll definitely get to a point where we won't have cash anymore. It'll all be virtual currency.

20. themnax

themnax Senior Member

its the concept of currency itself, the very concept of symbolic value, that may at some point become completely obsolete.
    or preserved in a scattered minority of localities as a nostalgic novelty.

at any rate, just as the real history is from before two or three thousand years ago,
    the real future is after the dust has settled from the ecopocalypse and species human will have either mutated beyond recognition or simply no longer be among us.

not saying there won't be sapience on this earth, but current perceptions about the persistence of things like automobiles and money and rectangular structures and arrangements of them,
    are too short, too narrow to encompass the broadness achievable and universally gratifying possibilities or even probabilities.

i think the biggest thing is getting over this collectively narcissistic perception
    of species human being somehow the ultimate purpose,
    or even any more central or important anything, then anything else of this universe.