Will Trump Supporters Listen To The Warnings?

Discussion in 'Politics' started by Balbus, Jan 26, 2017.

1. Beutsecks

Beutsecks Large Rooster

You're right, nobody here has ever called me a racist or a klansman. It was a contemporary example I have seen on news forums, where stereotyping is usually in full overdrive.

2. NoxiousGas

NoxiousGas Old Fart

The cotton gin and similar inventions are what ended slavery in America.
    Mechanization of the process made keeping slaves a losing proposition from a purely economical sense, all politics and moral sensibilities aside.
    Machines don't eat, get sick, have babies, etc.,etc..

3. Noserider

Noserider Goofy-Footed Member

Actually, slavery was on the decline until the invention of the cotton gin. The cotton gin made suddenly made growing cotton much more practical and attractive. Thus, the need for slaves increased.

4. NoxiousGas

NoxiousGas Old Fart

again, that is how you are perceiving it.
    I know from reading your posts that you do not utilize faulty logic or irrational rhetoric, so my comment was really much more me scratching my head and being puzzled at your intent.
    but if you choose to view it as some form of personal attack, well I have no control over that.

5. 6-eyed shaman

6-eyed shaman Sock-eye salmon

In his first term alone, he waged one of the bloodiest wars in human history.

Many people are under the impression the Civil War was all about freeing the slaves. They are not looking at the greater picture. Less that 14% of Southern residents actually owned slaves, and even free black men also owned black slaves in the south as well. The North was no safe haven for black people at that time either. Even the state of New Jersey did not officially end slavery until 1865, right after the Civil War. The civil war had mostly to do with the agriculture-based South, resisting the heavy tariffs of the industrial North. It was not an unpopular idea at the time that a state could secede and form its own country. Every country in the west was able to end slavery without waging a war.

6. Beutsecks

Beutsecks Large Rooster

I haven't been right since I passed my last kidney stone, ask anybody here. That and George went away.

7. Noserider

I think that's a bit unfair. First of all, the South fired the first shots. Second, Lincoln had a duty the US to try and preserve the Union. Do you think the fat cats in the North getting rich in the textile industry would sit back and allow the cotton states to leave? No. Lincoln was basically expected to hold the Union together at all costs. We forget that the Industrial Revolution was still in its infancy at the time. The economic power house that the US became was, in my opinion, a direct result of the raw materials from the rural South combined with the industry of the North.

1 person likes this.
  8. MeAgain

MeAgain Dazed & Confused Lifetime Supporter Super Moderator

The South stated the war when after succeeding from the Union, they cut off supplies to Fort Sumter in Charleston, South Carolina.

On Jan. 9, 1861 cadets from The Citadel fired on a supply ship and prevented the supplies from reaching the fort.
    The fort only had enough supplies to last until April so Lincoln order a resupply of the fort by several ships.
    The first ship entered the harbor on April 11.
    That day the South demanded the surrender of the fort and the commander refused, stating that if fired upon and not battered to pieces they would be starved out in a few days. He offered to surrender by noon April 15 unless they were resupplied.
    The South refused.

On April 12th at 4:30 AM the South started a barrage that lasted for 34 hours. The North didn't return fire until 2 hours into the barrage due to a lack of ammunition.
    The fort wasn't finished and was poorly armed.
    On April 13th it surrendered.

The South fired the first shots and started the armed conflict.
    Once shots were fired by the South Lincoln had no choice but to try and suppress the rebellion, just as George Washington did against Western Pennsylvania.

9. Beutsecks

Beutsecks Large Rooster

Ok, here's a "warning" for you. I watched the president's speech regarding the MS-13/gang problem on Long Island. He recognized things I think a lot of us know about gangs, they're run by assholes, who have no problem injuring and killing people to get what they want. I know that drugs play into this of course, but I hold the position that is the fault of the drug laws, not the drugs.

Anyway, Trump is saying things like "we'll catch them, throw them in jail and deport them" (I paraphrase). The problem I have with this is that some of these asshole gang members have murdered people, often in horrible ways. I can't imagine why Trump thinks deportation is an adequate response to that. Seriously, if a gang rapes children in front of their parents and then murders the whole family with a machete, I expect executions, not a plane trip home.

So much for "tough talking" Trump.

10. Noserider

but is it a plane trip home, or is it extradition? I didn't see the speech, so forgive me if that comes across as naive, but I would assume murderers would be tried either here or in there home countries.

All that aside, MS13 gives me the willies and I hope he brings the hammer down on them.

11. Beutsecks

Beutsecks Large Rooster

Since they come back after being deported, it's just a plane trip home. Also, for many years central American countries have refused to take their citizens back. The only reason they do now is because Trump is extorting them with sanctions and trade issues. So maybe the worst of the worst will be executed at home.

Not that I want to get into that old death penalty argument, but I personally see it as a powerful deterrent. Not for the very worst assholes who seem to enjoy killing, but for a lot of people who may be contemplating crossing the line. I KNOW there are plenty of folks who will say there's no "proof" the death penalty dissuades criminals. The same argument can be made for speed limits and shoplifting. When a stretch of road becomes known for being a speed trap, people drive like nuns.

In Orlando there's an adult novelty store called Fairvilla that has a unique method of dealing with shoplifters. If they don't want the cops involved, fine, they are banned from the store but they have to pose with the item they tried to steal for a photograph. The pictures are framed and mounted to the ends of each merchandise aisle. If gang members knew they were going to suffer horribly for their crimes, would they approach life the same way?

Who can say? Gangs are on par with cults, complete with programming/brainwashing. But even ISIS members are defecting in the face of being vaporized by US weapons.

12. jpdonleavy

jpdonleavy Members

They didn't listen to warnings when they were in high school - the apex of their pedagogic dreams, so why now?