Will there be another original music form ever again?

Discussion in 'Music' started by dhs, May 28, 2004.

1. WayfaringStranger

WayfaringStranger Corporate Slave #34

i think there will be a new form. although i cant tell you what it is. maybe someone will figure out how to use the locritian mode and make some music out of that, who knows?

2. Pressed_Rat

Pressed_Rat Do you even lift, bruh?

Any "new form" which arises is more likely to be a slight variation on what already exists.

3. butterfly

butterfly Member

I was thinking the same thing yesterday. When rock and roll was first invented, and people heard it for the first time it was mindblowing. Then punk came along and did the same. And music got even louder and heavier with heavy metal.
    It just seems like where is there left to go. I guess we'll probaby be suprised, but will there ever be something so new and original that it blows people away, a complete music revolution?
    I think bands are probably going to look more towards eastern and African influences....

4. hiddendoor

hiddendoor Member

Good thread! Something we could debate/agree/disagree about till we're blue in the face, but the older I get the less I seem to care about how original a piece of music is. If it can make me feel good, sit up and think, take me places, move me in an emotional sense (not necessarily all at once lol ), thats all that matters for me, original or not.
    In answer to the thread question, Pressed_Rat hits the nail on the head with the statement that new forms are invariably variations on existing forms (to widely differing extents I'd add though).

5. dhs

dhs Senior Member

The exact point I'm getting at.

6. mick_jagger_is_so_hi

mick_jagger_is_so_hi Member

hehe I know I was talking 2 dhs. :)

7. thisismike

thisismike Overlooked/Uninvited

I doubt it. Even if something new surfaces, if it can't work in a sneaker commercial or sell soda..Nobody'll sign it.

8. Dizzy Man

Dizzy Man Member

Are there any genres left? Of course there are!

250 years ago, people probably asked the same question, and look how much music has changed since then! The way we make music now is nothing like the way it used to be.

Music will continue to change, and music in 250 years' time will sound absolutely nothing like the music of today. There is no limitation to how much music can change — only to how quickly it can change. Music can't change too drastically, too quickly, or people simply won't understand it. Music needs to evolve slowly. I dare say that if you played a modern pop song to Mozart (for example, an Eminem song) he probably wouldn't think it was very good. Likewise, if we heard something from the year 2250, it would probably sound rubbish to our ears. But it would be no less artistically valid — merely harder to appreceite by someone unfamiliar with that type of music.

9. PSai

PSai Member

The definition of a new form of music would still be very subjective. I mean, rock is still (for the most part) using the same meter/scales that classical used....and it's not faster either. So what would constitute new? The difference between an accoustic and electric guitar? But again that's only a modification.
    Anyways, I'm not sure of the answer, but I truly believe that people forget that there has already been thousands of years of music, with at least a couple hundred years documented. No on could really cover all of that music in their lifetime.

10. CalJam

CalJam Member

Whatever music your speaking of has been taken from the one original or another. Elvis for example took the black R&B and blues and made it into another version, The Beatles and Stones did the same with Buddy Holly's and Chuck Berry's and Bo Didley and Little Richard and so on. I would not call the Stones or Beatles original and I am sure that they would not either but just another form. You look at Little Richard and his song Tutti Frutti for example, he could not get played on the radio so Pat Boone took it and did it and made a huge hit with it, though to me it sounds terrible but that is just what is his form of it. So to me as far as original, No nothing is original. Peace In Music..

11. moo-digit

moo-digit Member

I agree with CarlJam here, but I do think there was original music at a point in time. I mean, the first dude that made a rock & roll song was original, it was his own, not a mere mod of other songs or styles, ´cause there was no rock & roll before him. This is just an idea, I´m not saying that it all went like that, but you get the point.