Will the Nick Berg execution outrage the U.S.?

Discussion in 'Politics' started by booshnoogs, May 12, 2004.

1. booshnoogs

booshnoogs loves you

Some Americans go on and on about how we don't "stoop" to the level of Saddaam and the other Iraqis. Yet this is just as bad.

I think you are probably overreacting a bit. The torture that these prisoners went through, while unnaceptable, were NOT as bad as the torture that Saddam's regime was putting people through. Have you read about some of the torture methods used by Saddam's government? Imagine having your daughters raped in front of you while you hang with dislocated shoulders from a hook in the ceiling. Then, you get put to a slow death after all the raping is done. Imagine being fed feat first through a plastic shredder, or being dragged behind a truck on pavement, and then dipped in raw sewage to ensure that your wounds become infected.

Besides the soldiers who were responsible for it were being investigated well before CBS broke the story, including them being relieved of duty. Bush did go on air and explain that it was unnacceptable and that the situation would be rectified. Court marshalls will be occuring, and jail time will be given to those who committed these crimes. It didn't take public outrage to get this process moving.

However, this is a war, and you can't just go around removing leaders all willy nilly just because something bad happened in a military operation. If you did most of the UN leadership and most of the past US presidents would have been removed. Clinton would have been removed during the Kosovo conflict for example. You are right that evil was committed, but the situation is being rectified.

As a side note, by taking the position that if a war crime happens, then the leadership of that country should be removed, aren't you arguing FOR the removal of Saddam Hussein? He's certainly guilty of quite a few war crimes.

2. Jozak

Jozak Member

That is not what I fucking said. Typical.....I'm not surprised.

3. Maggie Sugar

Maggie Sugar Senior Member

No type of torture is acceptable. Saying "well American type torture isn't as bad as Saddaam type torture." is splitting hairs and ridiculous.

People were damaged for life by both Saddaam and the American Soldiers. BOTH are horrible, both are crimes.

What I said before bears repeating:

4. booshnoogs

booshnoogs loves you

I was pretty clear that torture from either party is unnaceptable. Just like most violence is unnaceptable. However, If I walked up to you and slapped you, that would be wrong but not as wrong as if I shot you and your family. This is the same sort of scenario. Both are unnacceptable, but one is much worse than the other.

To say that there is no difference between what Saddam put an entire country through (and a couple of others), and what went on in this prison seems like a simplistic attitude.

I guess if you could point out some evidence that there was an internal investigation by Saddam's Iraqi government attempting to put a stop to the state supported torture and rape and muder then I will concede your point that they are equivelent.

5. seamonster66

seamonster66 discount dracula

I agree that all torture is unacceptable behavior, what's the point of trying to create a heirarchy of acts when it's all immoral.

It's not a surprise with all those idiots in the army that these abuses happened in the Iraqi prisons either, those same people would have prpbably been torturing bunny rabbits or neighborhood kids if they didn't have the army to focus thier aggression.

These prison photos are honelsty the last thing this country needed. It's hard to even act like we, or I mean they, are on moral grounds now.