Will Russia or Ukraine Win the War?

Discussion in 'Question of the Week!' started by skip, May 21, 2022.

?

Will Russia or Ukraine Win the War?

1. Russia will win

4 vote(s)
    9.8%
  2. Ukraine will win

5 vote(s)
    12.2%
  3. Neither will win - war is hell - there are no winners

32 vote(s)
    78.0%
  1. Twogigahz

Twogigahz Senior Member

I don't think even Putin is that foolish to nuke Ukraine. They need the grain as much or more than anybody. What would be the end game, then? Great, we have this land right next door that is poisoned and all the inhabitants hate the Russians and nobody is left to fix the mess. Whoopie, we "won".....what?

skip likes this.
  2. skip

skip Founder Administrator

UPDATE! There have been talks going on with six countries and they have come up with a plan to stop the war!
    This plan has been viewed positively in the Kremlin, because obviously Russia is losing this war, and they're looking for a way out.
    The US, UK, Ukraine and other countries are hoping this can settle the region until at least 2029.

The deal is to have Russia completely withdraw from the Donbas and Luhansk provinces as well as the others, but not including Crimea. That would remain in Russian hands until 2029 when it's fate will be discussed/voted? A 60 mile demilitarized buffer zone would be established with the borders of Russia, Ukraine and Belarus.

It would allow all Russia's leaders to escape trial for war crimes, which is the icing for the Kremlin and military leaders.
    I didn't read anything about reparations, but I assume Russia's frozen assets abroad would pay for some of it.

I hope this initiative convinces Putin to stop the war. But will Zelensky and the Ukrainians accept it.

Oh, and this agreement might even been in partial effect, since it states that if Russia bombs another power plant or other utility in Ukraine, it will mean that Putin rejects the deal and the War is back on.

Ajay0 and Captain Scarlet like this.
  3. Candy Gal

Candy Gal Lifetime Supporter

To be frank. There are no winners in war!
    Look at the costs after.

Captain Scarlet likes this.
  4. Captain Scarlet

Captain Scarlet Lifetime Supporter

Ukraine as things stand has no desire to enter into peace agreements whilst Russian forces are on its soil.

The only way I can see of any peace developing is if Russia withdraws form all of Ukraines territory including the Crimea or is forced to the peace table by the West. The latter could happen if the West threatened to curtail support as it cant be infinite . The cost of the war must be impacting on western economies and much of Europe is not in great economic shape. Recent polls in the UK have suggested that support is beginning to wain as the economic crises caused by high energy costs is beginning to impact on families .

upload_2022-11-13_9-10-29.png

5. Captain Scarlet

Captain Scarlet Lifetime Supporter

Much of the costs are usually met by the losing side in war reparations .

Wars are sometimes a necessary evil and we need to remember those especially today on Remembrance Sunday in the UK, that sacrificed their lives in the Second World War to stop Nazification of Europe and the resultant genocide of the Jewish people as a race .WE should never forget that .

thepapasmurph likes this.
  6. thepapasmurph

thepapasmurph Lifetime Supporter Lifetime Supporter

I hope these Russian military will not go unpunished for their crimes. There were reports of rape of old women, for God's sake, and unnecessary murders of civilians, attacks on hospitals and day care centers, and deaths of innocent children. No, I don't want to see this war continue, but I want to see justice served to these barbarians - all the way to the top. Just as Saddam Hussein was dragged from his rat hole, I want to see Putin held accountable for this war.

7. Ajay0

Ajay0 Guest

I am not in favor of war or conflict, but I would say Russia stands to win this war. They are backed by the Chinese as well, the worlds second superpower, with considerable political and economic support.

Russia submissive to U.S-NATO will ensure that Russia will turn from an ally to a potential adversary in the future. So it is in China's interests too to ensure that Russia does not back off and keep an aggressive front instead.

The west is also hard hit by the recession caused by the war, and the limits of their endurance will be sorely tested in the months to come as they slide to greater poverty levels, and I think the western masses themselves will start pressing for peace and negotiations as shown in Italy. Since the recession is potent enough to topple governments as well, there may be moves by european governments towards reconciliation and peace hopefully.

As I stated earlier, western governments should focus on developing democratic institutions in Russia rather than forging a military alliance stepping on the toes of the world's largest nuclear power which can be counter-productive. A Russia with well developed democratic institutions can have a domino effect on nearby China as well.

8. themnax

themnax Senior Member

always in motion is the future

russia made a dumb ass move, invading ukrane, and really really needs to give it up.

yes, almost everything putin said about the west, all of our crimes, true enough. none of them make any excuse for what he's doing.
    yes we own mai lai, but mariople is a hundred mai lais, if not a thousand.

the russian people had struggled for decades to throw off the yoke of pariahood, and putin comes along and throws all that out with the bath water.

the moral side does't always win. frequently it does not.
    and yet, it looks very much like, russia is getting its ass toroughly kicked,

what i expect, is sooner or latter, putin is going to find himself flying out a window of a tall building without a parchute, in fine kgb tradition.
    after that, maybe something sane will be arranged.

as for ukrane, "they thought we would run and hide like frightened children, let them come, we will never give up, we will never surrender,
    until ever russian soldier on ukranian soil is dead, or every drop of ukranian blood has been spilled on the land they fight to protect, ukrane for ever"

Toker and Scarecrow13 like this.
  9. Scarecrow13

Scarecrow13 Members

Well said.
    I think Russia is already losing and they have been getting more desperate. I don't think there are clear cut good guys in this between the governments, because the real victims are the civilians of both countries.

Toker likes this.
  10. Toker

Toker Lifetime Supporter

I think you all should know that the Russian government has suddenly taken a keen interest in the Hip Forums. First time I've seen this bot.

Yandex used to index us, but they're now located outside Russia.

Could it be that they don't like our discussions about the war, or that they're now monitoring and blocking their citizens from the site....?
    :cool: :rolleyes: :D

Tishomingo and 6Sailor9 like this.
  11. Twogigahz

Twogigahz Senior Member

Oh I suppose they don't want any free thinkers there....probably blocked.

12. Ekate

Ekate Members

Vote: Neither will win - war is hell - there are no winners

How ours childrin be learing history in schools "Big strongman attacked a defenseless child" if Putin want end this war hi end..:(

Scarecrow13, 6Sailor9 and ~Zen~ like this.
  13. Scarecrow13

Scarecrow13 Members

Yes exactly this. There are no winners in war. Putin is definitely a tyrant, but Zelenskyy is no bastion of democracy himself by saying there will be no elections until the war is over.

14. Toker

Toker Lifetime Supporter

The election is going on now, and Putin is guaranteed another six years! If he lives that long and Russia doesn't disintegrate.

15. ~Zen~

~Zen~ California Tripper Administrator

And the war grinds on...

16. usetoplay

usetoplay Newbie

Russia may win but Putin will always be a loser.

skip and ~Zen~ like this.
  17. skip

skip Founder Administrator

Ukraine just took out an amphibious plane that costs $56 million. Meanwhile they're getting the shit bombed out of them by the Russians who are attempting to completely destroy Ukraine's energy infrastructure. Without more help from the US and EU, especially Patriot missiles, Ukraine will lose a lot more territory even the second biggest city of Kharkiv....

18. Piobaire

Piobaire Village Idiot

Ukraine has a population of 43,745,640.
    Russia has a population of 142,320,790.
    In a Stalingrad-style war of attrition, Ukraine must maintain a better than 3.25:1 kill ratio just to survive in the short term. Attrition inures to the benefit of the larger population; over time, that kill ratio will steadily increase until it's no longer sustainable (assuming it's sustainable now), especially now that Russia has the MAGA cult reliably on their side. Mike Johnson has single-handedly held up $60 million for Ukraine for months, on orders from Donald Trump. Today, instead of bringing a bipartisan bill to the floor for a vote, the House under Johnson is debating regulation of kitchen appliances.
    How Republican lawmakers echo Russian propaganda

Last edited: Apr 15, 2024
    Toker likes this.
  19. ~Zen~

~Zen~ California Tripper Administrator

Meanwhile the US just started sending them another bunch of weapons and money guaranteed to keep the war going and more people dying, more of the earth getting poisoned, and for what?

Egos?

20. wooleeheron

wooleeheron Brain Damaged Lifetime Supporter

By all accounts, the ocean is about to rise 20 feet, faster than anybody wants. Russia wants the Ukraine's ports, while China has been building ships as fast as they can, and the US is thinking about whether its worth pretending to keep up with them. The Ukraine can't possibly hope to remain sovereign once the oceans rise, but we'll have to wait and see what happens, I haven't bothered to look at the projected flood maps. At any rate, half the world's ports will be flooded, and the half the damn population could die within a year.

The US sending more weapons to the Ukraine, is a measure of how much money is riding on the fact, they must continue to contain Russia, or the markets could change. The Chinese economy is collapsing, while the Russian economy is booming, because everybody loves a sure winner. Even Russia's long time allies are starting to get nervous, realizing that the giant is ready to stomp on the entire world.

Modern Russia and China are Wall Street's invention.