Will kids go crazy

Discussion in 'Flashbacks' started by malcolmx88, Nov 15, 2005.

1. smokeybear2

smokeybear2 Member

majority of my generation is lame brother
    in the 60's people were experienced man, they opened their minds with the music, with the good drugs that people dont do anymore. todays youth still have their minds closed man, most of em do anyway.

2. NotDeadYet

NotDeadYet Not even close.

Not all the changes have been bad. When I go to Asheville, NC on business, I love to walk down Lexington Avenue, which is the bohemian district, and check out all the cool shops. Sometimes I don't get a chance to change into jeans and sandals before I go down there, but nobody gives a shit. They know that you don't have to look a certain way all the time to be an okay person, or to know what is important in life.

If I had done something similar back in the 60s, I guarantee you somebody on the sidewalk would have made a comment to me about being where I didn't belong. In North Carolina back then, a guy could get treated bad by the hippies just for having short hair. My dad wasn't going to give me a choice about anything like that until I moved out of his house.

I'm glad that we have moved beyond some of that petty bullshit and got more focused on the real problems in the world.

3. Spud

Spud Member

My two cents...

Spud

:)

4. NotDeadYet

Urban gardens? Go to maps.google.com and zoom in on any major US city, satelite view. There isn't anywhere near enough land to support hundreds of thousands of people.

5. Spud

Spud Member

I believe it can be done. Take this example: Detroit has approximately 40,000 vacant lots in the city. Let's say that the average size of these vacant lots is 5,000 square feet. If you multiply 40,000 vacant lots by 5,000 square feet, you come up with 200 million square feet of vacant land. This equates to approximately 4,590 acres. Let's assume that an acre of land can support 5 people. Then, Detroit's 40,000 vacant lots has the potential to feed about 23,000 people. You do the math.

[​IMG]

6. MaryJBlaze

MaryJBlaze eleven

people have been going insane for hundreds of thousands of years....

do you not think there were murderous rampages in the early 1900's?

there just wasnt any media around to report it

7. NotDeadYet

Detroit is hardly a typical American city at this point in time, but your idea might work there. I was thinking more about New York, Chicago, Philadelphia, Boston, Washington, and Baltimore. They have very little unpaved land.

8. Spud

Spud Member

Problem solved. It's called urban, rooftop gardening.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

9. NotDeadYet

Good luck with making it happen on a large scale.

10. Kathryn O

Kathryn O Member

Detroit has the largest selection of vacant land for urban gardening. and there are communities working on it. As we watched our manufactoring jobs go overseas or dissappear, garedening and other green jobs are where our future is at. We all gotta eat.

11. Spud

Spud Member

You are absolutely correct! Detroit has approximately 40,000 vacant lots in the city. Let's say that the average size of these vacant lots is 5,000 square feet. If you multiply 40,000 vacant lots by 5,000 square feet, you come up with 200 million square feet of vacant land. This equates to approximately 4,590 acres. Let's assume that an acre of land can support 5 people. Then, Detroit's 40,000 vacant lots has the potential to feed about 23,000 people.

12. hippiemoonbeam

hippiemoonbeam Members

Did this age well? 17 years later, did OP predict it?