Will kids go crazy

Discussion in 'Flashbacks' started by malcolmx88, Nov 15, 2005.

1. hemp726

hemp726 Member

ya about the public school system messing iwth our minds and such notice how they give us the D.A.R.E. classes in elementary school when we are young and impressionable

2. Woodpoppies

Woodpoppies Member

Hey everyone , I think that its kinda sad how most people in my generation are acting . Its all about Fame, Money, Sex, do whats "Cool"

3. trevor3051

trevor3051 Member

I have a major problem with the way kids are brought up in todays society, they are told lie after lie in school because they are taught what the government wants them to think, I mean I think about the history i was taught in elementary school and even high school and it makes me cringe, they made us look at our country like it was perfect and we have been fighting wars against "evil" since the beginning, they never told another point of view. My point is the kids that stop their education after high school and never pick up another book have this completely distorted, propagandist view of whats happening in the world. If we truly want our kids of the future not to be ignorant then parents have to teach their children themselves, they cant leave it up to the schools to teach them. For the kids that really understand whats going on in todays society they're just so outnumbered they dont know how to go about making people see their point of view (it's hard to undo a brainwash).

4. HonorSeed

HonorSeed Senior Member

The kids will be alright, it's the adults with 30+ years of being insane you have to watch out for........I mean who else with all that stuff goes around looking like they just shit their panties, grumps :)

Honor Seed

5. Jess046

Jess046 Member

I honestly believe my generation will be the one to grasp what is left of the 60s spirit. It's been leading up to this moment for awhile now- this generation is equipped with everything we need- good educations and technology. We need to use technology to our advantage, to help spread the message and get in touch, just like this message board. Technology made a massive difference during the Vietnam War, bringing the war into their own homes with television. Imagine what we could do now. Everybody says that this generation will be the one to step up- due to the global warming crisis. Someone needs to make changes and it has to start with us. The problem is people our reluctant to do so because we won't see the changes for another 40 years. But people are been more thorougly educated on these problems, with the inclusion of a sustainability curriculam in schools. As for the Iraq war...well I doubt people are going to start protesting until it affects them. That's the differnce- Vietnam opened a lot of people's eyes because it effected everybody. The only way I can see of getting people to listen is by showing them the violence we're causing. But even then, to quote Hotel Rwanda- "I think if people see this footage they'll say, "oh my God that's horrible," and then go on eating their dinners."

6. hippiepeece

hippiepeece Member

IT would be fine by my watch. Join the revolution man! But its not all bad because i just saved a bunch of money by switching my car insurance to geico.

oh btw i think nowadays there are more dopes worth shooting than just Richard Nixon. But i'd rather not metion those names. The fear of having the feds knock my door down and stickin me in guantanamo bay overwhelms me.

7. Cosmic Elf

Cosmic Elf Member

Hah, the 60's happened, people woke up, and went back to sleep shortly thereafter. We're at a point where it's like...ok, we HAVE to shift priorities to something besides consuming, or it will be the end of the human species. It must be a universal effort from all sides, not be a social revolution like it was in the 60's, we've already done that. it must be an upheaval of basic core values of western thinking.

8. Spud

Spud Member

I think it's more like we have been "sleep walking," shortly thereafter. You are absolutely right about what needs to be done at this juncture. I can remember attending anti-war rallies during the late 60's in Boston. I was at a rally in the Boston Commons, and Jerry Rubin was whipping the crowd up to a frenzy. Jerry is screaming into the microphone and telling everyone to rebel against the system. Then he points his finger in the air towards the John Hancock Tower and screams, "look at the Hancock Tower, it looks like a fucking hyperdermic needle!"

I wasn't quite sure what his point was, but I have to think it had something to do with how corporate america is destroying the world, like being addicted to heroin.

9. caliente

caliente Senior Member

All things go in cycles. The 1960's wasn't the first time that young people shook up the world, nor will it be the last. Who knows when the next "hippie movement" will happen, or how it will come about? The only certain thing is that it won't be the same as the last one.

One of the things that being older gets you is perspective. The ironic thing is that, politically, I'm probably more radical now than I was back then, but I also have a better sense of what battles are worth fighting. The hippies in the 60's lacked that sense, and consequently wasted a lot of energy on things that didn't matter. I suppose this will always be true ... but one can still hope for more of a synthesis between generations.

My children are 19 years old ... I have twins ... and I understand that their concerns are different from mine. From them, I have learned to hold my tongue about the issues they see as important. From me, I hope, they have learned to see broader issues and that, with a lot of things, we've already been there and done that.

Well, anyway ... in response to the thread title ... yes, of course kids will "go crazy". Kids always do. But so what? We did. My parents did, and their parents before them. All in different ways, of course. Some generations have the advantage of being at the right place at the right time.

In hindsight, it's easy to see that the 60's were at a significant cusp of history, and something was bound to happen. It will happen again.

10. Spud

Spud Member

I totally agree with your observation that, "all things go in cycles." I raised two boys, who are now 26 and 22 years old - both are artists / musicians. They learned about the 60's from mom and dad and I think it definitely had an influence on my older son. Take a look at his latest video production, which you can view by clicking on the link below. I was blown-away after seeing this video and surprised to learn that his generation believes that the world needs a good shaking-up. Enjoy!

http://profile.myspace.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=user.viewProfile&friendID=360936382

11. peace_n'_love

peace_n'_love Member

its not like all of my generation doesn't care although im sure some don't but l know l do and fight back as much as l can and am keeping up with tne 60s the best as l can and trying to do the best that l can

12. 420HoboCigarette420

420HoboCigarette420 Guest

13. hippiepeece

hippiepeece Member

No youth won't go crazy unless they mysteriously become informed. They'll just continue thinking everything is alright.

14. caliente

caliente Senior Member

It's ironic that young people want to change things, but lack the perspective to see which things really need changing and which don't really matter. Nor, for that matter, do they have the means or the savvy to make it happen.

Older people, in contrast, have the perspective and the means, but no longer want to change anything because they've got too much invested in the status quo.

We need a better synthesis of these two polar positions. But you gotta be smart about it so you don't end up with freaking chaos, which is what usually happens after so-called revolutions.

You can't just throw out an entire established infrastructure of political and economic institutions and start over from scratch. Can you imagine the royal mess that would create? Well, "mess" is putting it mildly ... if this were to happen in the US, it would trigger the most catastrophic global depression the world has ever seen. Billions of people around the world would starve or be killed in civil wars and insurgent hostilities.

There would be famines and disease pandemics of biblical proportions. Lawlessness would prevail everywhere. No one would be safe. Life would be "nasty, brutish, and short", as the anthropologists like to say.

*shudder* .... let's not do that!

15. RandomOne

RandomOne Member

Reason we don't have rebellion these days: Kids have too many distractions and anti-depressants. We turn them into video-game or pill addicts when they start to show discontent.

16. NotDeadYet

NotDeadYet Not even close.

Don't be so sure that it won't happen this year. In November, the US banking system came within hours of absolute and total collapse, and Wall Street is not sure that the issue has been put to bed yet. The whole row of dominoes could still go down.

The older generation literally has 50% less invested in the current financial status quo as it did a year ago, and declining every day. The old system isn't worth shit. The game is over.

As it was in the Stone Age??? Has Cali had a change of heart on this issue? :confused:

I particularly hate the John Mayer song, "Waiting on the World to Change". You have to change it yourself - not wait for someone else to do it for you. The Hippie movement might have never gotten established if a lot of young people in the 1960s had not been unaware that it was not possible for them to change anything important. They attempted the impossible, and got us out of Vietnam. They proved all the cynics wrong.

Today's youth generation has been bombarded with messages from television, the internet, music, and elsewhere, telling them that they are powerless. That may or may not be true. If they believe it, it's a sure thing. Self-fulfilling prophesy.

They need to pick up the torch.

Or maybe we need to share the torch. Those who remember the 60s (or at least some part of them) know that we can do better than sitting on our asses and watching everything come apart. There has never been a better time for young and old to say together, fuck war, fuck corporate greed and corruption, and fuck cynical politics!

When you wait for the world to change, it only changes for the worse.

17. Spud

Spud Member

Want to change the world? Take heed to Joni Mitchell who said, "We've got to get back to the garden." Grow your own food, or as much as you can. Get back to the country, live off the grid and go green. If total anarchy and chaos erupts, head for the mountains for refuge. We will gather in the mountains and wait out the destruction. When it's over, we will decend upon the land and reclaim and restore Mother Earth. This is the future, as it has already been told.

18. shameless_heifer

shameless_heifer Super Moderator

I think the kids will be so scared when it does hit the fan they will cling to their elders for leadership. We will all need to depend on each other when it happens.

Spud is on the money with what he says, as well as HBH and others that are telling us to stock up and prepare for the shit when it comes down. Start now!

19. NotDeadYet

NotDeadYet Not even close.

I really hope it won't come to that. A survival plan helps your family, but it doesn't help society at large.

The kids who got shot at Kent State didn't save themselves, but they helped save God only knows how many people that they never met.

20. caliente

caliente Senior Member

Grow your own food, or as much as you can. Get back to the country, live off the grid and go green.

I agree with you in principle, Spud. But something like 80% of the population of the United States lives in an urban area. How do those people live off the grid? How do you grow your own food if you live in an apartment on the 20th floor?

And even if you had the land for crops, how do you harvest, process, and distribute them? If this chaotic collapse thing has happened, there will be no electricity, no power, no utilities, no public infrastructure. No police or fire protection. No schools. No transportation or communication networks. No grocery stores. No banks. No hardware stores. No hospitals.

There will people starving and freezing to death everywhere. There will be marauding bands of thugs stealing what food and supplies there are.

Going into the mountains isn't going to solve these things, even if people had the necessary skills, which they don't.

Your plan might have been feasible in 1800, when the US population was a tenth of what it is now, most of whom were rural and had the kinds of skills necessary. Furthermore, that's how many of them already lived, anyway.

I don't see how on earth it would be possible now.