Will Humans Ever Achieve Time Travel?

Discussion in 'Question of the Week!' started by NookaTheNook, May 28, 2022.

1. NookaTheNook

NookaTheNook Members

Of course, it is our past and our future, not up to us when though

As humans will we ever achieve time travel?

Iscott55 and Echtwelniet like this.
  2. Echtwelniet

Echtwelniet Members

Answer:Just by travilling tru space we basicly already move forward in time.

Question: How do we move backward in time?

Mzzls

3. newo

newo Lifetime Supporter Lifetime Supporter

I don't think actual time travel is possible. The past no longer exists while the future doesn't exist yet.

4. Echtwelniet

Echtwelniet Members

Moving actual people in time(back or forward) i dont believe it either...........................But we already moving foward in understanding,speed/time/space/ ect :D

Question: What do you do for a living?

Mzzls

5. Angelmama

Angelmama Angel Lifetime Supporter

I don't think so. I mean, if time travel would ever become possible, there would be people here from our past/ future now. None have ever been reported.Not even one.

Mickey1, Toker and curiousbear like this.
  6. Renart

Renart Members

Plus, it would require that no one in the far future travelled back to prevent the creation of time travel in the first place.

7. WOLF ANGEL

WOLF ANGEL Senior Member - A Fool on the Hill Lifetime Supporter

It is entirely possible that time travel exists - it is only the manner of which that is incomprehendable at this moment in time, and It is the infinite possibilities consequences that there are which I find the most intriguing

Very Fast Car likes this.
  8. scratcho

scratcho Lifetime Supporter Lifetime Supporter

There is no present and no future. Everything that is said and done is immediately in the past. So there.:)

curiousbear and Tyrsonswood like this.
  9. Totally Yoda

Totally Yoda Members

We don't fully understand our own existence yet to understand time travel.

curiousbear likes this.
  10. curiousbear

curiousbear Senior Member

I had admired the magic of time all my life! But I don't think time travel is possible unless people who travelled from future kept it top secret such that no one in 2022 or before found out about it.

I also hooked to a lot of time travel stories. The most recent is Adams Project and Outlander

11. Piobaire

Piobaire Village Idiot

No. We'll snuff ourselves out (along with a third of living things on this planet) long before we achieve anything even remotely like time travel.

scratcho likes this.
  12. Dude111

Dude111 An Awesome Dude HipForums Supporter

For some reason I dont think somene would admit it because they may be scared of what they might do to them... (Govt)

Ya gotta be careful now!

13. zer0

zer0 Members

Anyone hear of the Fermi Paradox? It relates to extraterrestrials, but I apply it to time travelers also.

Fermi Paradox basically says: If the universe has been around forever, literally FOREVER, then why aren't there life forms zipping all over every inch of creation by now?

And one of the answers is: well that just proves there aren't any lifeforms out there. Or more likely, if lifeforms develop, they die out (or kill themselves) before they achieve interstellar travel.

So I say the same thing applies to time travelers. If time travel is possible, then why aren't there time travelers zipping all throughout history by now?

Same answer: well that just proves there aren't any time travelers. Or more likely by the time we figure out the technology to do it, we'll have blown ourselves to kingdom come.

I'm a blast at parties. :expressionless:

BandA and scratcho like this.
  14. newo

If we ever do achieve time travel then what would keep people from going to the past and changing things? The slightest change could mean many people who are around now will cease to exist, replaced by other people.

What if someone traveled back to before Hitler became famous and killed him? On the surface it seems like a good thing, but consider the consequences. When the Nazis were rising in Germany they were in competition with German communists. Without their charismatic leader the Nazis might not come to power while the communists would. Then Germany would ally itself with the USSR and WWII would be even more devastating. We might even be living in a communist world!

On the other hand if it were only possible to travel back a few days, that could be a good thing. We could send a task force back to stop these mass murderers. If Putin or Kim Jong Un launches a nuclear missile we could send people back to prevent it. We'd be walking a very fine line, and time travel technology must be prevented from falling into the wrong hands.

zer0 likes this.
  15. Dunnaknockit

Dunnaknockit Members

There is one major flaw with the Fermi Paradox - it is a theory created by humans.

If you imagine that our Solar system is a tiny little speck in just one tiny corner of one of countless billions of galaxies and how little we understand of anything outside our Solar system. Yes, we may be beginning to understand the physical nature of the universe but we know absolutely nothing of its anthropological development other than our own experience of life as we know it. The possibilities for life outside our own little corner of the Milky Way are as numerous as the stars and galaxies themselves.

I love the way that humans, as a species, are sufficiently arrogant, given the galactic backwater we come from, to make two massive assumptions. Firstly, that all life in the Universe must follow the same pattern as that on Earth and secondly, that, given the still primitive nature of this planet and its inhabitants, anybody in the wider Galaxy and Universe would want anything to do with us.

Just because we don't see something doesn't mean it's not there.

BandA, scratcho and NookaTheNook like this.
  16. zer0

zer0 Members

Campy scifi fans may take an anthropocentric view to extraterrestrial life (how many times does Kirk beam down to a jungle planet and say “no signs of life here”), but the Fermi Paradox doesn’t specify that extraterrestrial life has two arms & two legs. Any signs of life would contradict it.

Imagine the universe is an acre of dirt. If life were meant to thrive, then you’d eventually find bacteria, mold, single cell organisms, multi-cell, vegetation, aquatic, amphibian and ultimately complex life forms inhabiting it. Give it enough time and it would be teeming with life on every inch. Again I stress if the universe has existed FOREVER, then the question of life comes down to the infinite monkey theorem (statistically, a monkey smacking a typewriter for an infinite amount of time will eventually type the works of Shakespeare). But rather than seeing any forms of life or any evidence of past habitation, anthropic or otherwise, the universe is barren as far as we can see.

Life is strong. I’m not just talking about human life but I’m talking about everything down to bacteria and viruses and mold. Give it time and life will spread everywhere on earth, agreed? So Fermi simply points out: we have given the universe an eternity of time, but life hasn’t spread.

I fully believe in the scientifically accepted solution: any growth or civilisation that advances to the point of interstellar travel will absolutely destroy itself first. We can’t even reach Mars and yet we’re on the verge of blowing the shit out of our planet and everything on it.

17. zer0

zer0 Members

Exactly… that’s what I mean by citing the Fermi Paradox. If time travel were possible, then by now someone (many) would have gone into the past and meddled. Even accidental meddling would prove catastrophic. See Star Trek: “City on the Edge of Forever” where saving 1 life in 1940 results in the annihilation of the human race in the 23rd century. I would even say if you were to move an object 1” to the left, it could have enormous, unpredictable results in the future.

I think the movie Back to the Future dumbed us down ;) The truth is that time is like the flow of a stream. Divert it any tiny amount at the source, and there’s no telling how many square miles of land will be flooded or dried up further down.

Now imagine everyone hopping around in their own time travel machines (which would be inevitable because someone could stand to get rich manufacturing them). Now we’d have ‘time tourists’ wanting to go back and gawk at every historical moment. Or we’d have ‘time soldiers’ à la Terminator, realising the easiest way to win a war is to go back in time and kill the pregnant mother of the enemy leader. The chaos would lead to complete annihilation, even with the best intentions. Bottom line: humans screw everything up. It’s a damn good thing nobody ever invented (or will invent) the time machine or we’d be already cooked.

scratcho likes this.
  18. newo

It's science fiction but consider this: what if we could go back in time as observers but not participants? You'd put on a virtual reality headset, but instead of playing a video game you'd be taken to an actual event in history. No one there can see or hear you and you have no influence on what's happening. We could solve history's mysteries. Was there a second shooter at JFK's assassination or did Oswald act alone? What happened to Amelia Earhardt or Jimmy Hoffa? Who was Jack the Ripper or the Zodiac Killer? We can find out all that we thought we'd never know!

zer0 likes this.
  19. zer0

zer0 Members

Now THAT I can get behind! And it's scientifically feasible (if not already proven)... the way we can look at stars billions of light years away and watch their past, even though in absolute-time they burned out long ago.

If we could somehow chase old light waves that emanated from our own planet, like I dunno, somehow planting a telescope 1000 light years away looking back at us, then we would absolutely be able to watch our own history unfold. Without the catastrophic risk of changing anything. Dude that idea is genius, I think you should email NASA right away, or at least set to writing a screenplay asap