Will Barbie step aside for Social Media doll?

Discussion in 'Latest Hip News Stories' started by Deleted member 42017, Mar 10, 2019.

?

What doll did you play with?

1. Barbie

11.1%
  2. Bratz

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  3. GI Joe

77.8%
  4. Cabbage Patch

11.1%
  5. My Buddy

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  6. Chuckie!

22.2%
  7. Inflatable

11.1%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. As Barbie turns 60, this social media doll startup aims to shake up category

For 6 decades Barbie has projected an unrealistic body image onto impressionable young girls while reinforcing a rigid, almost orthodox patriarchal lifestyle. It's not an odd speculation that this phenomenon has fueled fashion, fitness and diet madness onto American women (who have accepted it readily most of the way).

So how is a new doll, with yet another unrealistic body image (it looks like another version of the Bratz dolls). Do we expect young girls to figure out how to make their heads bigger? How about triple-sized eyes and doubled lips?

I haven't looked at the back of this doll, but I can only imagine it has a fat ass and can be bent into a twerking position.

2. And YES, I'm aware that it's a link to a Fox News site. It's still relevant, so don't get the vapors.

3. soulcompromise

soulcompromise Member HipForums Supporter

I think bratz and barbies are different in so far as body image. Barbie I know has big tits. With Bratz, I'm not so sure. Do they? Anyway, if the focus is more on hair, eyes, and lips, maybe that's a step in the right direction. Sure, it's still a cosmetic view on beauty, but I don't know... How "deep" does it need to be when you're between 5 and 10 years old (however old you are when you play with dolls; for me StarWars/G.I. Joe/TMNT until 11 1/2...).

Then again, maybe the next thing they will come out with will be dolls that look fairly average. Complete with love handles! :D

4. Asmodean

Asmodean Slo motion rider

Do I detect a little sarcasm in the last paragraphs of your post? If so, why?

5. Naturally. Not that I think my opinion carries any weight. I've watched this for years. Have you seen what they did to Battleship? Instead of embracing technology, they stepped backward to make the game even cheaper.

Way out in the shed, covered by a tarp is a little girl's plastic kitchen that took me hours to assemble one Christmas eve. She wanted no part of it and insisted she be allowed to use the regular kitchen. She has a vintage My Little Pony set out there as well, which she did actually play with for a few years. But dolls never did anything for her. As her computer skills grew she shifted like a lot of millennial kids to a larger digital footprint.

My younger sister, owned every Madame Alexander doll she could find. She haunted estate sales. I got a couple of GI Joe figures, the 12" version. But I was more interested in strapping model rocket engines to their backs than collecting them. It wasn't like I did their hair, it was a crew cut ffs. And of course they had Kung Fu grip!! Lost one in a sand dune near Jacksonville. Didn't cry about it. Swiped older sister's beat to fook Barbie and launched her across a lake.

But then, I didn't have a computer until I was 20. I had movies and disco.

6. Asmodean

Asmodean Slo motion rider

Sooo... What's your concern about those new dolls exactly?

7. Driftrue

Driftrue Banned

You only have to see a few snapchat filters to see the influence of Bratz dolls

I played with trains cars and farm animals, sooo..

8. quark

quark Parts Unknown

Lol.

They were whorey little bastards... Even as a child, I remember thinking there was something not exactly right about them.

9. I think men are held to the same standards. If we get fat or go bald or whatever, that's no good either and we have body issues. I played with He-Man and GI Joe. Those ACTION FIGURES had bodies like gods. And that's what's considered attractive, too. Albeit, with boys, lots of those characters have bizarre heads. Body-wise they're all pretty much identical, but their heads get crazy.

I guess there's some major difference between boys and girls, because girls want to play with that shit. And boys want to play with their shit. Both think it's completely awesome.

Maybe girls should have a bigger variety of body types. You'd think it wouldn't matter to them, since all they're doing is playing house and what not. But also, how do you handle that in an appropriate manner? How long until some fat girl is crying because people keep buying her figurines of fat girls, when she still thinks she's going to grow up and become Barbie or whatever?

I don't know. It's a very deep issue.

10. Meliai

Meliai Banned

I mostly played with these 2 ragdolls i had that were dressed like little prairie girls from the 1800s

Maybe that explains a lot

Driftrue likes this.
  11. morrow

morrow Visitor

Sindy, she was top till Barbie came onto the market,,, she was prettier than barbie too

Sindy - Wikipedia

12. GLENGLEN

GLENGLEN Banned

Had I Had The Chance I Would Have Loved To Have Played With A "Ken Doll".......

But He Didn't Come On The Scene When I Was Young......:disappointed:

Cheers Glen.

13. Irminsul

Irminsul Valkyrie

14. Irminsul

Irminsul Valkyrie

15. Irminsul

Irminsul Valkyrie

16. Isn't it interesting how action figures build camaraderie when you're little? It's like, your friend is totally into Ninja Turtles "guys." (We all just called them "guys.") Or your friend is into WWF wrestling figures, or whatever. A few years go by and you wouldn't be caught dead playing with a doll. But there's a period where your dolls define you. They're who you are.

It's interesting for children to play with dolls. They're trying to figure out human relationships and everything. But then as you get to be ten, eleven, twelve, and you're still playing with your men, and your other friends just kind of take it for granted as a normal thing. I don't know...I think it's fascinating.

17. Irminsul

Irminsul Valkyrie

I didn't know anybody that played with the action figures I had. There was none comrades for me. But I see if there had been how that might be.

I also see a younger Irminsul with zero friends just doing her thing... I guess that helped shape this fantasy world I keep myself in. :) just my books, my stories, my legs and my mind.

18. I didn't know anybody that played with the action figures I had, either. Well, everybody had He-Man and GI Joes. But as we got a bit older it was Ninja Turtles. But at the time, I played with Dick Tracy guys and my best friend played with Ninja Turtles.

If you had friends it would have been different. It's just weird to me, 'cause when you're really little you create your own little worlds with action figures. And that continues into your preteen years, but you also develop the ability to be social in some sense. So, it's like, your dreams that you enact out with action figures have come to fruition somehow, yet you can't give them up.

You had no friends? It might have been a good thing. In my experience, playing action figures with friends as a prepubescent is a mistake. It's fine to play them alone, but when you get together you find that each has their own idea of what situation should unfold between the action figures. There were fights.

19. tumbling.dice

tumbling.dice Visitor