wicked

Discussion in 'Books' started by mariecstasy, Jan 19, 2005.

1. mariecstasy

mariecstasy Enchanted

Gregory Maguire utilizes the story of the wizard of oz to introduce us to elphaba...you get to learn of the life and times of the wicked witch of the west...chalked full of philosophical meanderings, political struggles and the ideas of good and evil...
    i thought the book was excellent...it was really interesting although some parts didnt really go well with what we know from the wizard of oz, but that is ok....
    through the story you see that what you feel to be evil is oftentimes just misunderstood...
    check it out...its a good read...
    he also writes a book called Confessions of a Ugly Stepsister....about cinderella's sisters...lol...good imagination.

2. HippyFreek2004

HippyFreek2004 changed screen name

amen! Someone's read it! I loved it. It basically took the story and made it more grown up. There was political unrest, sexual strife, murder....it was perfect!

Holly

3. Lotus Butterfly

Lotus Butterfly Member

I really appreciate these last couple of posts. My sister told me about the book 2 years ago and a few months ago a friend gave me her copy and said it was just okay. My sister said the same thing. It will be my next book to read ( I'm trying to finish two right now). It's good to hear some positive commentary on it, kind of makes me more excited to read it.

4. tokens

tokens Member

I got Wicked as a winter holiday present from a friend. I really like it so far. I just started reading it though!

5. HippyFreek2004

HippyFreek2004 changed screen name

it's amazing! The description used is awesome, makes it all seem to come alive.

6. SilverClover14

SilverClover14 Senior Member

I haven't read the book yet :( But I have seen the musical.

7. Samhain

Samhain Lifetime Supporter Lifetime Supporter

found the book and brought it for my boyfriend (who loves the oz books) when i came to the states.
    I too would say it 'ok'
    i like the idea of turning oz into an adult tale which enables people to question the idea of evil and what it is, and i found her child hood parts in it enchanting, however its a long book with at some times a sketchy story line that didn't manage to hold me.
    it needed to be tighter i felt and could be condensed down to a third
    S