Why Would A Place Smell Like Human Waste?

Discussion in 'Random Thoughts' started by Jimbee68, Aug 24, 2017.

1. Jimbee68

Jimbee68 Member

Just speaking of a couple of places where I live, Detroit.

There is this family diner a few miles from my house. And the rest room there smells like feces. "What else would it smell like?" I can already hear some of you say. But all the time? And even when it's clean?

But this next one really has me wondering. There is a dollar store, not far from my house. And the vestibule smells like human excrement. All the time. And with none in sight.

Why?

I look forward to seeing your replies :)

2 people like this.
  2. SpacemanSpiff

SpacemanSpiff Visitor

sewer gas

a lot of floor drains have traps and the water evaporates leaving a nice open path for sewer gases to escape

problems in bathrooms are usually from cheap repairs being done with hoses instead of a proper drain trap

1 person likes this.
  3. Rots in hell

Rots in hell Senior Member

Shit Happens !

1 person likes this.
  4. JPN2

JPN2 Supporters HipForums Supporter

Waste treatment plant.

1 person likes this.
  5. Tyrsonswood

Tyrsonswood Senior Moment Lifetime Supporter

There's your answer, right there!

6. Jimbee68

Jimbee68 Member

Hey, Detroit isn't perfect, but it's on the mend by most accounts. And it's our job to support it thru its renaissance. :)

2 people like this.
  7. Tyrsonswood

Tyrsonswood Senior Moment Lifetime Supporter

I hear the Renaissance smelled like shit too....

1 person likes this.
  8. I'minmyunderwear

I'minmyunderwear Newbie

yeah, just pour some water down the drain once in a while and it mostly takes care of the problem.

9. GLENGLEN

GLENGLEN Banned

Correct......They Are Called "Dry Wastes" And Shortly After Moving Here The House Started To Smell.

First Thought Was Gas Leaking From One Of The Air-Cond Systems......Took Me About 2 Weeks To

Find Where It Was Coming From......I Had Never Heard Of Dry Wastes And Nowadays Every 6 Months

I Put A Bucket Of Hot Water With Dettol In It Down Them......Problem Solved.....[​IMG]

Cheers Glen.

10. themnax

themnax Senior Member

fractured soil pipes leading from the structure to sewage mains, soaking into the ground under the pavement of the parking lot.
    everyone tries to pretend not to notice because its someone else's problem, and not sure who to call or what to do about it,
    or the financial resources to pay anyone to do so. which would be a major disruption of life and business to do so,
    and of course, business is god, no matter how much it stinks.

11. SpacemanSpiff

SpacemanSpiff Visitor

i dont know what dettol is but at one place i worked we just used a bucket with water and a bit of javex to fill the drain traps once in a while

there was one pipe that was angled out of the floor ...i think it was a cleanout...some times in the winter the air pressure would pop the top off and fill the restaurant basement with sewer air ....they had a foam cap plug in there but it probably should have been something that bolted on with a seal

2 people like this.
  12. Irminsul

Irminsul Valkyrie

There was a Irish Pub in roanoke we went to and they had the sewer vent happen they said every day at the same time. It was Terrible we were like children with out noses under shirts lol. Even the locals couldn't deal with it.

1 person likes this.
  13. autophobe2e

autophobe2e Senior Member

There's a nightclub near me that is infamous because the entire entrance area smells so badly of faeces that people have passed out whilst queuing to get in. That said, people often pass out on nights out before they get into the club round here, so the results are skewed.

14. egger

egger Member

15. SpacemanSpiff

SpacemanSpiff Visitor

hippies can stink a place up pretty good :beatnik:

16. themnax

themnax Senior Member

there's that other thread on here at the same time, by some guy saying he got caught out behind the place where he works.
    as a mystery reader, could these be clues?

17. Amethyst87F

Amethyst87F JesF35

Well I will start by saying that maybe you could mention to a Staff Member at these two places about the unpleasant scents you have noticed there.

This next bit of information is not very lady-like, but I know that at one of my past places of employment I had an older coworker who was a sweet heart but his body got into the routine of using one of the places bathrooms at the same time every day.

Oh well, if nothing gets changed at the two places you mentioned who may find it a good idea to try not to use the bathroom there, stop going there completely, or go extreme and rub something under your nose like I see people do on Tv/Movies before they go in the same room of a dead body.

I would like to think that the employees at these places would notice the unpleasant nasal experiences who have mentioned and taken steps to better it.

Perhaps they are too embarrassed or too apethetic to do anything about it.

Anyway I think you speaking up about this matter will really improve the experience for customers and may also help the businesses themselves to more successful because they may get more repeat customers.

18. Irminsul

Irminsul Valkyrie

Confucius says;

man who paint toilet door is shit house.

19. themnax

themnax Senior Member

call roto-rooter; i think the topic question has been pretty thoroughly answered.

20. lode

lode Banned