Why will people die?

Discussion in 'Philosophy and Religion' started by myself, May 9, 2007.

1. myself

myself just me

why can't people live forever??
    please give me some answers that are scientific

thanks

2. broony

broony Banned

Do you have any idea what your asking? No one knows this answer, regardless of what any religion might say.

3. paulfreespirit

paulfreespirit Senior Member

spiritually we never die when our bodies wear out our spirit flys the nest man .............scientifically we die .......

4. themnax

themnax Senior Member

there's no can't. the body's we have now, their ability to renew themselves, which they are otherwise constantly doing, wears out. there's nothing intrinsic about their having to be that way. that's just what we happen to have. and we don't yet know enough how to chainge that, or what and how else to have to chainge to not mess ourselves all the more up by the consiquences of doing so.

facts aren't exactly science, but any way that's as close as i know how as can be stated simply as is a direct tangable answer to the question in the origeonal post.

=^^=
    .../\...

the tradeoff is, if we ever stopped dying, we'd soon collapse our environments ability to provide the capacity for us to exist if we didn't also stop being born, which it kind of seems like we might be doing anyway, with as many of us as there already are and the ways we're living and the ways the ways were living are being provided for.

=^^=
    .../\...

i'd like to live forever someplace where there were about 1/20th as many of us as there are now, and lots of little people sized trains, all run by clean energy and no fences, building codes, money, governments, or keep out signs.

but serial mortality might not be all that bad either, if that's the way it is.
    i don't see lollypops or spankings for the rest of forever as all that convincing of being likely.
    but some other thing none of us have ever even thought of might be alright to.

whatever is is whatever is anyway.
    what we can do about what we can while we can is what it makes any sense to concern ourselves with and try to do anything about.

=^^=
    .../\...

5. Share the Warmth

Share the Warmth Member

When I die, I will stick around for awhile, floating around the planet and watching (not really watching as I won't have eyes...more like sensing and knowing) everyone and everything and learning about you all for a few years, maybe even a few hundred years.

I think I will miss being able to interact with people though. Maybe I will try to make contact with some lonely girl who is receptive to and tolerant of spirits. Share some of my newfound spirit-wisdom with her.

But eventually, inevitably, I will gaze up and see the infinite vastness of the greater universe, say a silent goodbye, and zoom away for bigger and newer adventures...

6. madcrappie

madcrappie crazy fish

every carbon based organism has to die.

7. myself

myself just me

"Since that death exists, immediately the life is absurd" (Amalia Rodriguez)

8. Dejavu

Dejavu Until the great unbanning

myself
    They can and do dear mermaid! The trick is in wanting to. To love your life in everything so that in death one sees only a return to oneself. ;)

9. FreakerSoup

FreakerSoup Stranger

"replicative senescence." Each germ cell and replicate only and limited number of times. This seems to be (but is not necessarily) due to the shortening of the telomeres (caps of repeating DNA code on the chromosomes) with each cell division. They are related, at least. Some people's telomeres don't shorten, though. Also, there's this one guy who says that with the rise in nanotech and nanobots we can create a repair mechanism to complement the ones our bodies already have.

http://www.livescience.com/health/ap_Kurzweil_050213.html

10. themnax

themnax Senior Member

i don't think this answers or even addressess the question.

BODIES die, because their ability to renew thenselves eventualy 'wears out'.

and i don't think we yet know everything there is to about how and why THAT happens.

but awarinessess are not bodies. awairnessess walk arround in boddies.

that is all that is certain.

but it is certainly not all that is possible.

many more and totally different things then any belief or nonbelief has ever immagined are just as possible as anything any of them have.

or then any of us have individualy either.

=^^=
    .../\...

11. Rasheeke

Rasheeke Member

Physics calls it the laws of thermodynamics. Where no engine, man or machine, can ever be 100% efficient. Energy will always be renewed with food and medicine, but then the organs, later on, stop rejuvinating us as much, letting the lack of perfectness in our bodies engine to wear our bodies out to death.

But those laws, as far as we know, only apply to spacetime. The soul, however, may be an extra-dimensional being, where laws are different, perhaps, eternal.

12. Eugene

Eugene Senior Member

why can't awareness be biological? why get all spirtually about it?

13. FreakerSoup

FreakerSoup Stranger

I agree with Eugene. What's to say that awareness is anything but biological?

14. natural philosophy

natural philosophy bitchass sexual chocolate

because once we have learned what we must learn, then we must move forward. the only way to do this is through death and rebirth (spiritual, physical, otherwise).

15. FreakerSoup

FreakerSoup Stranger

There are a LOT of assumptions in that one statement right there.

16. lakeoffire

lakeoffire Live.Laugh.Fuck.

what do you mean? its natural. no one really knows why. but think about it, wouldnt you get bored just living forever, wouldnt you want ot see the other side? and think aboout the over population! the world would be full of suffering

17. Eugene

Eugene Senior Member

boredom is a human emotion, whereas death effects everything. i think someone already mentioned murphy's law, basically any system complicated enough will fuck up 100% of the time, and we're that complicated system (there's bacteria that is 200,000,000 years old).

18. Rasheeke

Rasheeke Member

Murphy's law is just what some pessimistic magician said.

Just cause one person says it, and it later becomes a cliché doesn't mean it can define life or death.

19. hippie_chick666

hippie_chick666 Senior Member

Life ends because the body can no longer reproduce or maintain the cells in the body. Someone else already mentioned telomeres. Refer to that post for more info on them.

Peace and love

20. Eugene

Eugene Senior Member

okay, just because quantum mechanics, chaos model and astronomy all incorporate the idea of greater entropy, and have valid observational data supporting them, makes it define life, death, and everything.
    hell, taken as a whole the universe is just approaching a more and more chaotic state (not a bad thing because in an orderly universe such random creatures as us would never exist).
    I challange you to find one system that doesn't break down over time.