Why? Why do you garden?

Discussion in 'Gardening' started by We_All_Shine_On, May 8, 2004.

1. We_All_Shine_On

We_All_Shine_On Senior Member

I garden cuz it feels like giving life.... it just feels right... It's like home...
    I feel bad for all the nature that has been ruined so I always do cutting as soon as I can I save ANYTHING that can grow lol to sort of give back in a tiny way.

2. TreePhiend

TreePhiend Member

Because it feels natural. When I garden I have a personal tie to the earth. Because plants rule! Because playing in dirt is fun! Because homegrown veggies are fresher and taste better.

3. LadyComet

LadyComet Hip Forums Supporter HipForums Supporter

I love the benefits of having that beautiful plant flowering for the the whole season and the plant living and thriving because I cared about it. Helping a plant to grow and thrive is really special. It goes to show how the plant is alive like we are.

4. hippietoad

hippietoad Member

:D Because I like to play in dirt !!

5. morningsong347

morningsong347 Member

I do it cuz my parents did it. I didn't appreciate it as much when I was younger. Now that I have my own place it's sooo rewarding. I only have flowers right now because of location. My dad still has a big garden of fruits and veggies and I save alot of money by shopping in his garden throughout the summer and fall ;)
    One day I hope to be able to have a great big piece of land so I can grow everything!!! I was over my parents today and cut some lilacs. My house smells so yummy!! Free aromatherapy... how can you beat that?

6. Wanderess

Wanderess Member

I garden because I like being self-sufficent. I love being outdoors and having my hands in the earth. Plus there is the simple pleasure of eating a fresh warm tomato in the summer or picking some green beans to snack on and heating up homemade tomato sauce or opening homemade pickles or salsa in the middle of winter... heavenly!

7. themnax

themnax Senior Member

i garden because green growing things are prettier to me then either pavement or bare earth.

i should probably put 'garden' in quotes because that includes all vegitation, even what other people might call 'weeds'. some indiginous vegitation is prettier then others though. and some arraingements of plantings more so then others as well. that is why i garden with low maintainence perenial herbs and indiginous plants. i also prefer super nano dwarf varieties of everything to keep them in scale with my little half inch to the foot trains that also run arround in my garden

8. CelticMuse

CelticMuse Member

Not only does gardening bring me closer to nature, it is very relaxing for me. Also I like being able to go outside and not only pick my own fruits and vegetables, but to sit in my backyard and take in the sight and smells of all the flowers I have planted as they bloom from spring to fall. There's nothing as relaxing.

9. eccofarmer

eccofarmer Member

NAMASTE

It grounds me.I feel more intune with the mother and it helps in
    bringing more fresh food into my life and others.Plus i just love it.

10. drumminmama

drumminmama Super Moderator Super Moderator

WHY I garden is therapy. Digging keeps me from tearing out my hair.

what I get from it is a connection with Gaia, some herbs and veggies and a sense of peace with most of Creation. I do fling the grubs into the empty lot across the alley.

11. WayfaringStranger

WayfaringStranger Corporate Slave #34

cus im hungry. its also good meditation and stress relief. i actually get really excited about gardening, i like to get all into it. i like the smell of good dirt. i also like to try new techniques. my newest is no til gardening. im trying to get it straight for when i get my land. its really amazing how well they grow that way.

12. We_All_Shine_On

We_All_Shine_On Senior Member

lol wayfaring

In my back yard, 2 years ago we took one single stick off a pussy willow tree, like a really thin branch, less than 3 feet long.
    now it's a tree, atleast 7 feet high, with a thick base.
    everything grows like mad in my backyard.

13. woodenfrog

woodenfrog Member

love of life

14. Happy_Go_Crazy

Happy_Go_Crazy Member

I love to garden because I find most plants/flowers/trees and such are just interesting. If you grow them yourself you can see all the cool changes and you can feel great about something like "hey! I grew that!" haha. I'm going to plant a maple tree pretty soon since our last one just got struck by lightening and crashed onto my neighbors fence!

15. sugrmag

sugrmag Uber Nerd

It is relazing, fun, and amazing. I love to watch things grow. My mother is a wonderful gardener. She used to ask me to help her when I was a kid, but it was "boring"!! Now, I wish I had, because I have been learning through the many plants I've slaughtered over the years! This year though, I have done wonderfully. I haven't ventured into fruits and veggies, yet. I don't own my house and can't dig up the yard too much. But, I do have a small herb garden and flower garden.

16. tuesdayafternoon

tuesdayafternoon Member

weallshineon:
    you must have a very fertile backyard.

17. meangreen

meangreen Senior Member

To reap what you sow.

18. Erin

Erin Member

they are my children.

19. rhiannon

rhiannon Member

well i specialize in rose gardening. i have about twenty plants. personally, i think a fresh bloom looks proud of its beauty. it looks like it feels the same way i do when i get dressed up to go out in a beautiful gown. it is also interesting to see how fast they can grow with the proper care.

20. teepi

teepi living my dream

I find that there is just something that gets into me about the first of January,

I MUST get out the catalogs and ordersome of my seeds,once that is done I love to get out my journal from the season before and read and make plans.
    The new catalogs are still coming in the mail at this time and I like to look att he new stuff they offer.

I have a little greenhouse so on decent days I love to putter in there,and get stuff going as early as possible.
    I love to try new things...english lavender...bee balm...and hops were my new things this past year.
    Right now i have 8-ball zucchini forming they are so cute.Totally round.
    Birdhouse gourds are also growing this year.

Since losing that 100 lbs. veggies are important to me.

BUT MOSTLY I GARDEN because....I DON"T LIKE THE CRAP they try to pass off as vegtables in this small town i shop in.
    I don't trust them at all...NONE of them.
    genetically altered my ass....can't tell by looking at 'em,so can't trust them.

Sorry, my gentle soul had a human moment.....
    teepi