why on earth do people do this sort of thing??

Discussion in 'Random Thoughts' started by madcrappie, May 22, 2007.

1. BraveSirRubin

BraveSirRubin Members

You are mistaken.

These are not "Hippie" forums, these are "Hip" forums.

These forums actually deal with Hip Replacement Surgery, and various chronic hip issues, especially in the elderly. I myself have had hip problems for all of my life, and therefore I frequent this site.

The who hippie thing is just an old on-going joke.

2. BraveSirRubin

BraveSirRubin Members

Something as drastic as cutting your tongue up surely does illustrate something about one's beliefs, perception of life, or at least psychological well-being.

3. LilianaRose

LilianaRose Member

Yes, very true. But there is a way to go about the analyzation other than making generalized remarks about something you don't have much personal experience with. Perhaps you could take a look at the body modication thread and propose some of your questions there to be answered by people who have altered themselves in such ways.

Just a thought. I'm not wanting to argue or anything...Just thought I would offer another perspective. :)

4. Posthumous

Posthumous Resident Smartass

I tend to agree, but who knows if that's not the way all tongues will be in 50 thousand years, that and blue mohawks.

5. BraveSirRubin

BraveSirRubin Members

99% of all of what people say are generalized remarks.

You are actually making a generalized remark by saying that the OP does not have much personal experience with it... maybe his mom decided to cut her tongue... who knows? :)

6. BraveSirRubin

BraveSirRubin Members

...and oh, what a great world it would be!

I myself have nothing against cut tongues... I have nothing against practically anything people do to their bodies... I couldn't give a shit, it's their body... doesn't bother me...

But I do know what are some of the very basic things that drive people to alter their body like that are.

Every individual will give you a nice pretty description of why he cut his tongue and so on...

But when it comes down to it... it's for uniqueness and attention. (Other than the few cases in which it's a cult, peer pressure, forced, or a snake fetish).

7. hotwater

hotwater Senior Member Lifetime Supporter

Beyond the religious, cultural, or symbolic aspects of body piercing and tattooing, there’s always the driving need to separate ones self from the masses. from the parade of marching morons as we move forward like cattle in unison towards our eventual demise [​IMG]

Hotwater

8. LilianaRose

LilianaRose Member

Hah. You are very right, sir. But I think there is a difference between some generalizations and others. And, also, I'd like to think that nobody would refer to their mother as corruptive or an "attention-starved poser." But that's just me, always an optimist wihtout even realizing it. lol

9. BraveSirRubin

BraveSirRubin Members

It's a tad sad to see that people can no longer separate themselves from the masses through positive achievement, intellect, love, charity, or anything pretty like that.

Now it has come to such extreme fashion statements and other such things used as these "tools of individuality".

Soon FashionTV will rule the world!

10. BraveSirRubin

BraveSirRubin Members

...and I hope that no one calls their mother "corruptive" or an "attention-starved poser" while having sex with her.

Actually... that would be a double wrong... which would therefore make a right.

Fascinating.

11. LilianaRose

LilianaRose Member

Sadly, the reasonings you gave are very true for some people.

Another theory...

I know a lot of my friends have tattoos simply because they think they are beautiful. It's art. Very permanent art. And art is a big part of their lives and decided they wanted to be able to have it as a part of them forever, viewable at any time.

12. BraveSirRubin

BraveSirRubin Members

Sure.

Tattoos are also a tad less extreme than cuttin' up some tongue.

But still.... real reason for the tattoo............ to stand out.

13. hotwater

hotwater Senior Member Lifetime Supporter

There’s still plenty of individual achievement, but in this gilded age with an ever growing populace - the vast majority need a quick fix :H

Hotwater

14. LilianaRose

LilianaRose Member

Less extreme, definitely. But, actually, their tattoos aren't in places that are outrightly visible to the public and they don't go around showing them off. They just have them for themselves. :) Everyone's got their reasoning and some don't go as deep as most like to believe.

15. BraveSirRubin

BraveSirRubin Members

True, that actually came to mind as I was writing the other post...

The huge population really limits people's opportunities.

Anyhow, I'm being rather hypocritical in my argument... I have nothing against seeking attention and wanting to stand out in the first place.

I will now go to sleep and dream dream dream.

16. Posthumous

Posthumous Resident Smartass

The real reason is he thinks it will get him laid, but when the nurse is sticking a tube up his dickhole, he may very well question the type of persons he chose to fuck.

17. BraveSirRubin

BraveSirRubin Members

Your friends need to look into nudist communities.

18. BraveSirRubin

BraveSirRubin Members

At least there's some hot 500 pound ghetto nurse action.

19. LilianaRose

LilianaRose Member

Hahaa. I'll suggest it, but I don't think they'll go for it.

20. BraveSirRubin

BraveSirRubin Members

Maybe cannibalism would be a better alternative.

Now I must force myself to shut this damn computer, and get my 6 hours of sleep.