Why no pass for Muslim women wearing hijabs and burkas

Discussion in 'Women's Forum' started by black cat woman, Dec 4, 2017.

1. black cat woman

black cat woman Members

Why no pass for Muslim women wearing hijabs and burkas in America

I have watched too many TV shows such as "To the Contrary" where the speakers assume; that in order to be welcoming to immigrant Muslim women, we must agree that their signs of submission to men (the wearing of the hijab or burka) are something different than what it took us centuries to free ourselves from. I am referring to the same dictate in the Bible for women to be submissive to men. This warning to women was spelled out in the Bible in
    1 Corinthians 11. Corinthians 11:3 "Now I want you to realize that the head of every man is Christ, and the head of the woman is man..." And going down to Corinthians 11:8: "For man did not come from woman, but woman from man; neither was man created for woman, but woman for man. For this reason, and because of the angels, the woman ought to have a sign of authority on her head." That was alleged to have been written by the misogynist Paul.

My point is that American women had to fight so hard to reclaim our human rights. We should not forget how much our American women preddessors gave up and suffered so that we could be free from male tyranny. Therefore, it upsets me to see those same signs of tyranny on Muslim women even if they claim it is their choice and part of their heritage. That also used to be part of our Christian heritage until brave American women (all of our suffragettes and
    Margaret Sanger and her supporters) gave up so much and even went to jail to free us from that terrible debasement. I very much suspect that agreeing to debase themselves is not a choice but comes from fear of male relatives who have carried out terrible acts of violence on Muslim women who do not submit. In the town I live in, a Muslim teenager trapped his teenage cousin in a garage and repeatedly stabled her in the neck because he felt that she was not dressing modestly enough. The poor girl lived, but that surely was a terrorist message to Muslim women of what can happen if they do not submit to the authority of their males. And because the teenage girl lived, the young man received a slap-on-the-face kind of sentence which lets us know that we really have not come that far or far enough regarding the human rights of women in America.

Muslim women are in America enjoying their human rights I hope. So that they should not advertise to the world the debasement of women by men. Women are equals; and in many cases, superior to the males that we create from our bodies. No magic wizard god needed or wanted to usurp our special gift of creating human life. To Muslim women: I hope you will see the day when you are free to take your signs of submission to men and burn them in a great bonfire. American women did this in the year 1971 when women all over America took passages from the Bible and burned them at their own alters. Read about that in
    Women Without Superstition "No Gods-No Masters" page 52, "Why We Burn: Sexism Exorcised" by Meg Bowman.

Moderator, please save this thread here and remove it from the Agnostic/Atheist forum.

Last edited: Dec 5, 2017
  2. unfocusedanakin

unfocusedanakin The Archaic Revival Lifetime Supporter

It does not seem to be about that to many Muslim women. They are not all hardcore ISIS types and many Muslim men respect their wife. I don't think it's right to make someone change their fashion to meet our standards. You are viewing it as wrong but you are not the women who has to live that life. Of course no one should be force to wear that and the whole thing seems odd to me but I've known some nice Muslims who made that choice.

It's really no different from what Catholic nuns wear. Some women want to do it. And Muslims and Christians have the same reason. A female's hair has sexual power therefore it's not appropriate to show to god.

3. Irminsul

Irminsul Valkyrie

Who cares what they wear as long as it goes both ways and they don't complain about what we wear.

Almost all of the complaints from Muslims upset about how they're treated come directly from them pushing their ways onto us and then the backlash starts.

I don't understand them. They flee their country to lands of complete freedom and quality of life and then they complain about how we aren't like it is back home.

Errrr :mask:

GLENGLEN likes this.
  4. Noserider

Noserider Goofy-Footed Member

All American women--Muslim and otherwise--can wear what they want and practice any religion they want.

They can even submit to men. That's what freedom is. That's what 1st and 2nd wave feminists fought so hard for: to give us the freedom to be anything we want to be; even something that rubs you the wrong way.

Part of you sounds like an American feminist; part of you sounds like a fan of communist dictatorships.

5. soulcompromise

soulcompromise Member HipForums Supporter

Right. I think they should be afforded the freedom to do what ever they feel comfortable with. There is a line of course drawn where their freedom must not interfere with someone else's.

Irminsul likes this.
  6. Kerri

Kerri Members

I don’t believe it’s a valid assumption that the hijab and burqa are symbols of submission.

7. Irminsul

Irminsul Valkyrie

When they're enforced by male superiority it kind of does seem that way.

renogirl_2 likes this.