Why no pass for Muslim women wearing hijabs and burkas in America

Discussion in 'Agnosticism and Atheism' started by black cat woman, Dec 2, 2017.

1. 6-eyed shaman

6-eyed shaman Sock-eye salmon

I’m pretty libertarian about what women decide to wear. They can do whatever the hell they want.

But I personally think it’s silly to voluntarily wear a burka or hijab if you live in a country where you’re not going to get caned or stoned for refusing to wear one. And it blows my mind that left wing media is trying to conflate hijabs with feminism and female empowerment. To me, that makes as much sense as Jews wearing the mandatory stars that Nazis made their prisoners wear, as a symbol of Jewish empowerment

2. Okiefreak

Okiefreak Senior Member

If you think it's silly to wear a hijab or burka, don't wear one. Women who do may do so as a witness to their faith or a sign of respect for Allah. My wife, not a Muslim, acknowledges some practical advantages in being able to roll out of bed and put one on without fuss or muss over grooming. If you're pretty libertarian though, you might ask yourself why it seems to bother you so much.

Kerri likes this.
  3. SSJROMANCE

SSJROMANCE Members

Never ceases to amaze me when I go to a water park and I see a Muslim woman who is covered from head to toe in black when it's 100 degrees out and her husband is partying in the water with just swim trunks.

4. Noserider

Noserider Goofy-Footed Member

In fact, they're kind of cool. I never understood why they never took off as a fashion thing. I'd wear one if I could get away with it.

5. Okiefreak

Okiefreak Senior Member

I remember experiencing some surprise when I saw too Muslim ladies working out in full regalia at my fitness center--on exercise bikes!

6. scratcho

scratcho Lifetime Supporter Lifetime Supporter

'Pert near ruins my life just thinkin' about it! People walkn' around wearing what they want! Shocked! Shocked , I tell you!

7. 6-eyed shaman

6-eyed shaman Sock-eye salmon

It doesn’t bother me. Simply stating a personal opinion.

Religion for the most part is ideological imprisonment anyway.

Besides, if non Muslim women started wearing hijabs, I know for a fact that if anyone gets bothered by it, it will be the far left SJWs. Because that would be cultural appropriation.