Why no pass for Muslim women wearing hijabs and burkas in America

Discussion in 'Agnosticism and Atheism' started by black cat woman, Dec 2, 2017.

1. black cat woman

black cat woman Members

Why no pass for Muslim women wearing hijabs and burkas in America.

I have watched too many TV shows such as "To the Contrary" where the speakers assume; that in order to be welcoming to immigrant Muslim women, we must agree that their signs of submission to men (the wearing of the hijab or burka) are something different than what it took us centuries to free ourselves from. I am referring to the same dictate in the Bible for women to be submissive to men. This warning to women was spelled out in the Bible in 1 Corinthians 11. Corinthians 11:3 "Now I want you to realize that the head of every man is Christ, and the head of the woman is man..." And going down to Corinthians 11:8: "For man did not come from woman, but woman from man; neither was man created for woman, but woman for man. For this reason, and because of the angels, the woman ought to have a sign of authority on her head." That was alleged to have been written by the misogynist Paul.

My point is that American women had to fight so hard to reclaim our human rights. We should not forget how much our American women ancestors gave up and suffered so that we could be free from male tyranny. Therefore, it upsets me so much to see those same signs of tyranny on Muslim women even if they claim it is their choice and part of their heritage. That also used to be part of our heritage until brave American women (all of our suffragettes and
    Margaret Sanger and her supporters) gave up so much and even went to jail to free us from that terrible debasement. I very much suspect that agreeing to debase themselves is not a choice but comes from fear of male relatives who have carried out horrific acts of violence on Muslim women who do not submit. Right here in the town I live in, a Muslim teenager trapped his teenage female cousin in a garage and repeatedly stabbed her in the neck because she was not dressing modestly enough. The poor girl lived, but that surely was a terrorist message to Muslim women of what can happen if they do not submit to the authority of their males. And because the teenage girl lived, the young man received a slap-on-the-wrist kind of sentence which lets us know that we really have not come that far or far enough for the human rights of women in America.

Muslim women are in America enjoying their human rights I hope. So that they should not advertise to the world the debasement of women by men. Women are equals; and in many cases, far superior to the males that we create from our bodies. No magic wizard god needed or wanted to usurp our special gift of creating human life. To Muslim women: I hope you will see the day when you are free to take your signs of submission to men and burn them in a great bonfire. American women did this in the year 1971 when women all over America took passages from the Bible and burned them at their own alters. Read about that in Women Without Superstition "No Gods-No Masters" page 52 "Why We Burn: Sexism Exorcised" by Meg Bowman.

Last edited: Dec 3, 2017
  2. wilsjane

wilsjane Nutty Professor HipForums Supporter

In America, as in Europe. we reveal our faces as our means of introduction. So to us, concealing our face strikes fear into others. Seeing a hijab or burka coming towards us is similar to seeing someone wearing a bike helmet or a balaclava, we automatically fear the worst. I don't think that we would be half as concerned about Asian women wearing their traditional dress if it was not for our current fears of terrorism.
    Although we don't always like to admit it, finding a partner is a combination of mental and physical attraction. I would not like to live in a society where women covered their faces. I always wonder at what point a guy sees his girlfriends face for the first time in the traditional Muslim culture.

morrow likes this.
  3. Asmodean

Asmodean Slo motion rider

Hijabs that don't cover the face should not be equated with burkas.
    The ban on burkas in the west is justified and fairly reasonable. Hijabs are tolerable for pretty much all people who are not simply anti-islam

4. Piaf

Piaf Senior Member

Meanwhile you chose pants/shorts/whateverthatis as your dominant mean of introduction here.

5. relaxxx

relaxxx Senior Member

When she's about 9 years old.

Sorry, couldn't resist.

GLENGLEN and wilsjane like this.
  6. Piney

Piney Lifetime Supporter Lifetime Supporter

7. wilsjane

I regard clothing (or lack of it) as simply the cover of the book. It may encourage someone to pick the book up, but does not mean that they will read beyond the first few lines. The wrong cover, could also prevent someone from opening the book to find out what is inside.

8. Asmodean

This is why I'm very militantly against any form of pants.

wilsjane likes this.
  9. Deidre

Deidre Visitor

Covering one's head in Islam and Christianity was actually seen as a sign of worship. I have read a lot about Islam, and have Muslim friends who say that women's heads, legs and arms must be covered when praying. Same for men too, I believe? It eventually extended into a social construct, and of course, there are men in different Middle Eastern cultures who abuse their authority over women. Many Muslim women enjoy wearing the hijab, as they claim it is more freeing than not wearing it. I've read this.

Meliai and Asmodean like this.
  10. relaxxx

relaxxx Senior Member

^ Stockholm Syndrome

11. Asmodean

I've seen this so clear several times. I still recall how joyful a bunch of them were outside a mosque in Istanbul. They were having lunch or something, chilling. I was there on a 3 day excursion with my history class and we visited several mosques. Some get lots of western tourists of which plenty do not adapt any local customs. The women in my class were advised to put on a hijablike headscarf on any terrain of a mosque, just out of respect for the locals and their culture (you know, like so many westerners demand muslims do when they come here). Well, it really made those womens day. They thought it was so great :) If these women were surpressed, it was not through their hijab. They love their hijab.

Deidre likes this.
  12. Okiefreak

Okiefreak Senior Member

To me, the relevant question is whether or not we "give a pass" to something that strikes us as undesirable, or make an issue of it at the expense of peace. How do we feel about nuns in habits, or Buddhist monks in saffron robes, or bearded Hassidic Jews with their tarmulkes and teffilin? Or those Hollywood women celebrities who attend gala events with their boobs hanging out. There are lots of things about Catholics, evangelicals, atheists, Republicans, Democrats, Hassidic Jews, and humans (my wife included), that strike me as silly to downright wrong, but I bite my tongue (except on discussion forums). When she asks me "Do you want to take out the garbage?" I could speak my mind and say what I'm thinking ;"Hell, no! Do you think I'm out of my mind!" But I hold back for the sake of domestic tranquility. I think she's being manipulative, but she thinks she's being tactful in not giving a direct order. So she means well. I keep that in mind. Most women wearing the hijab or burka probably are not thinking they're submitting to male domination. They probably think they're displaying their devotion to their religion and Allah. When it comes to Trump supporters, I have to soul search. Since I live in the heart of Trump country, it's a life or death decision. (These people are armed and dangerous!) There comes a point, when it comes to folks like ISIS, Hitler, and Trump, when the harm and danger they present is so great that we have to take counteractive measures. It;s a matter of judgment, but hijabs and burkas are not where I'd draw the line.

Last edited: Jan 8, 2018
  13. Meliai

Meliai Banned

My cousin belongs to a strict Christian denomination that dictates she cannot wear pants. I also work with a woman who can only wear skirts. Why do we give them a free pass? Seems a bit hypocritical to be so concerned about the hijab when there are Christian denominations that still follow similar religious law dictating what women can and cannot wear.

If the hijab upsets you but the skirt doesnt maybe you should ask yourself why

14. relaxxx

relaxxx Senior Member

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Where the fuck would you rather be?

15. relaxxx

relaxxx Senior Member

Living in a "free" society, you sometimes hear people say "they have a right to do what they want here even if i don't agree...". But it's a touch ironic when what they DO is oppressive. Tolerance of INTOLERANCE, is NOT real tolerance! Yes, we have an obligation to let people do what they want. We also have an obligation to call out oppression and people who threaten freedom. Burkas are a symbol of oppression and a religion that is not proven to be compatible with a free society. I think the slogan of New Hampshire said it best, "live Free Or Die". Leave your burkas and oppressive religious beliefs in the Middle East or get the FUCK OUT of North America!

GLENGLEN likes this.
  16. Irminsul

Irminsul Valkyrie

I'm not one who goes around getting upset at what people wear so I don't really care either way what other cultures wear. Just not important to me. If they were a Burka then they wear it. I wear a cowboy hat. :) got a problem with my cowboy hat? Talk to my 6 shooter. :p

scratcho likes this.
  17. GLENGLEN

GLENGLEN Banned

What Happened To The 9mm You Were Packing A Few Months Back...???...:smilecat:

Cheers Glen.

18. Vanilla Gorilla

Vanilla Gorilla Go Ape

They look shit though

Not the greatest fashion statement

Freedom of religous expression blah blah blah, just looks like being dressed in a tea towel

19. wilsjane

Beauty is in the eye of the beholder. A bit difficult if it's all covered up though. LOL

20. Kerri

Kerri Members

It’s not freedom if you’re deciding for them. Who decides for example if an individual choice is oppressive? You want to hand that power over the the federal government? You make dress code laws to what, make people free? That’s not what live free or die or die means. That’s do as I say.

There is some real irony in having a bunch of men decided xe what women can wear so that they won’t be oppressed by men

scratcho and Meliai like this.
  21. Kerri

Kerri Members

Of course it’s permissible. It’s a different issue though. No one wants the bigot to not wear his dress to protect the bigot. The argument against allowing the dunce cap is it incites violence. The issue with the burqa is allegedly protecting the women’s sovereignty

No one is forcing the klansboy into bigot cosplay. That’s his choice