Why is there a God that wants to punish us?

Discussion in 'Philosophy and Religion' started by Grandeur, Jun 10, 2020.

1. Eric!

Eric! Lifetime Supporter Lifetime Supporter

I don’t need to, and we don’t need to have the conversation then.

2. Rehab44

Rehab44 Members

Ah, that’s not very Christian is it?

3. Eric!

It’s very Christian

4. Rehab44

Rehab44 Members

Like I said I will have whatever you are smoking.

5. Eric!

I know something else you can have...
    I already told you I don’t smoke.

6. Eric!

I don’t know who you are, I don’t know if you had a different username / profile before on HF- doesn’t matter. If you wish to have dialogue with me, then come correct. If it is your desire to insult me, I’m not the one. You can disagree with what I post on this forum, but it doesn’t require insults. We can have a discussion and talk about our views and differences on said topic, but I won’t tolerate petty smart remarks. I’m not the one, man. Not today, not ever.

Last edited: Jul 16, 2020
  7. jagerhans

jagerhans Far out, man. Lifetime Supporter

wow this thread is spiraling into full-on Jihad lol
    I had more than enough "god" in my life, at the end of the day it all boiled down to obeying the whims of other people in the name of "god". but whatever floats your boats folks. religion can be useful when you have to educate a mass of superstitious ignorant people and keep them in check when they cannot be watched upon, it is a childhood illness of mankind.

8. Rehab44

Rehab44 Members

oh dear, with an attitude that you won’t be going to heaven mate.

"The world is divided into men who have wit and no religion and men who have religion and no wit."

Avicenna 980 CE – 1037 CE Ibn Rushd
    I have no religion, I think I can guess where you are.

9. Rehab44

Rehab44 Members

Many moons ago I met the Pope, when I say met, he was on a balcony and I was in St Peter Square

I was visiting Rome for an International Rugby Match, Italy v England, it was a weekend so we did the sites before tha match

The whole place was packed, nuns everywhere like a bloody enormous penguin colony. The women Tourists have on their "I'm With Stupid" t-shirts. There are men are in blue jean cutoffs. We steered away from them, Do you know what it sounds like when 30,000 sticky-faced god botherers walk into St. Peter's Square wearing flip-flops? Yes! Like a thousand Canadian geese farting.

They were all waiting for the big man to do his thing, they were all craving answers. And what better way to provide them answers they deserve than with an hour long speech during which he will speak in mostly indecipherable English, frequently make references to holy passages that have astoundingly little relevance to any current situation they may be facing, and occasionally lapse into long periods of silence during which you may be pretty confident that he was asleep, so we slopped off to the local boozer for some of that Absinthe stuff much favoured by the Popehood, Christ! After 6 of them I now understand why he is always carried around in a bloody big chair! England won though, so not a total waste of time.

jagerhans likes this.
  10. Eric!

Glad you got it all figured out. If you have no religion- why would you make the remark “that’s not very Christian, is it?” But I already knew you have no religion because that’s what hypocrites say. You have no clue where ANYONE is going after we’re done here.

Last edited: Jul 16, 2020
  11. jagerhans

Once I was at home when I heard uncommon clamor coming from my usually quiet street. Imagine my astonishment seeing the freaking POPE GP-2 enclosed into his automotive fishtank passing before my country village house , surrounded by a throng of shady men in black with earpieces and followed by the usual mob of jesus hooligans. I was like o_O holy crap there is no escape from this people ha ha

scratcho and Rehab44 like this.
  12. Rehab44

Rehab44 Members

I made the comment because you are supposed to be a god botherer and that you are supposed to turn the other cheek :tongueclosed: you are not a a great example for your religion are you?

jagerhans likes this.
  13. Eric!

Well, I guess not. I don’t turn the other cheek, nor am I here to be an example to anyone. Each has to seek his/her own path.

jagerhans likes this.
  14. TrudginAcrossTheTundra

TrudginAcrossTheTundra Lifetime Supporter Lifetime Supporter

I understand having different positions on a debate and arguing your position. But what for the love of God do you have against cutoffs? They're super comfortable! And can be cut short, unlike those knuckle dragging knee length "ghetto" "shorts" common fare for the last decade. Lord...

Eric! likes this.
  15. Rehab44

Rehab44 Members

:smile::smile: Sorry

Eric! likes this.
  16. TrudginAcrossTheTundra

:) sacred, man. Sacred!

Eric! likes this.
  17. desert-rat

desert-rat Senior Member

My image of God is energy and consciousness , the ceative life force of the cosmos. Like the being discribed by the young lady on astral pulse in the link I posted. I see religion as giving your self over to others (giving your soul to Jesus ect) not my image of God. I believe we have control over our reality ,our soul, life, after life ,ect.

Mountain Valley Wolf likes this.
  18. themnax

themnax Senior Member

this is the big big lie that causes everything that is wrong, and your 'bible' was written by humans, not gods,
    because their human egos couldn't accept their ignorance of what is not known is not known.

no, i'm sorry, but evil in the name of good is evil twice. there is nothing good about it.

sure there is some times some people won't hear anything else, but that itself they have learned from those who mistakenly believe they gain anything rewarding or of value by wishing to be feared.

sorry no, i never entirely munich syndrom "loved" my parents. i cut them slack for having to face the same fears and uncertainties we all do, but no, i neither loved nor hated them.

and because it was written by humans, not gods, everything it claims to know about gods, or a god, is entirely human speculation.

i can believe there is something self aware, that is neither physical nor imaginary, but not that goodness and the desire to be feared can live in the same 'heart', even that of a god.

19. TrudginAcrossTheTundra

:sleepy:
    So sorry, bro.
    I can't imagine that.

20. deleted

deleted Visitor

grand you do a great job punishing yourself..

you dont need gods help for that..

jagerhans likes this.
  21. jagerhans