Why is there a God that wants to punish us?

Discussion in 'Philosophy and Religion' started by Grandeur, Jun 10, 2020.

1. TrudginAcrossTheTundra

TrudginAcrossTheTundra Lifetime Supporter Lifetime Supporter

You sound so sure!
    Neither of your speculations are supported in the Word of God. Just FYI, unsubstantiated opinion.

desert-rat likes this.
  2. Eric!

Eric! Lifetime Supporter Lifetime Supporter

Why does God punish us? Because we don’t listen, mistreat each other, etc. and ultimately we deserve It.

3. WOLF ANGEL

WOLF ANGEL Senior Member - A Fool on the Hill Lifetime Supporter

"You reap what you sow - so - sow well, and the field will yield bountiful reward"

TrudginAcrossTheTundra and Eric! like this.
  4. Running Horse

Running Horse A Buddha in hiding from himself

A straight shooter

Eric! likes this.
  5. NakedInfluence

NakedInfluence Member

Same reason I want to punish my child. Only when necessary to keep him from harm.

TrudginAcrossTheTundra and Eric! like this.
  6. desert-rat

desert-rat Senior Member

A lot of this word of God got changed at the council of Nicia in 329 ad. Any way , why go to church ,put money in their jar , and believe in their image of the one true God ,if you can do it own your own ?

7. TrudginAcrossTheTundra

I wasn't there then, so... But whatever. As a Christian, we accept Christ as the son of God who died for our sins and opened the door to heaven. And that the Bible is the word of God.

Sure, we needn't attend church as a criteria to be saved. But it's a form of evangelism. And a social support for encouraging each other in a world of scoffers. But I get it. There's an old adage among us riders, "I'd rather be out in the woods on my motorcycle thinking of God than sitting in church thinking about my motorcycle."

Out riding in the desert works too. ;)

8. desert-rat

desert-rat Senior Member

As we create or own reality , it's not God that punishes us . We punishe our selves. I will post more if asked.

9. themnax

themnax Senior Member

i was raised on that one, both at home and in school.
    but i think "god" and "religion" are separate parts.

religions exist because the ego is unwilling to accept its ignorance of the unknown.
    (but to the degree it encourages anyone to be considerate, that's still a plus. though if the price of that plus is to have logic, that is at the same time a minus)

gods, on the other paw, should they or it choose to exist, owe nothing to what people try to tell each other to pretend they know about them.
    the unknown is unknown, but harm can be observed, and the desire to be feared can be observed to cause harm.

so i don't accept that a god can be good and wish to be feared at the same time, but i do accept that a god, or anything else that sees fit to, can and may very well does exist,
    and that without having to have the slightest wish to be feared, nor the slightest thing to do with the christian bible, nor any other word written or spoken by any human person.

10. soulcompromise

soulcompromise Member HipForums Supporter

@Grandeur, God made and loves us. That's what's important to remember. You've got to tell yourself that it's only our own paranoia that allows us to believe anything besides His love. That love makes it worthwhile to do His will.

11. jagerhans

jagerhans Far out, man. Lifetime Supporter

This belief is not generally accepted. I personally think that believing in a god like the one described by the books of christians, moslem and jews is ridiculous. That god acts in preposterous, whimsical ways and looks too much like a flawed, base, mean human being to be taken seriously. His story is a story of failure: creates the angels, many rebel and pass to the dark side of the force ;) . Creates the man, eats the forbidden fruit and falls from grace (also, no forgiveness in that case) . Chooses the jews, they make idols and then kill his son. Also he commands them to kill a lot of people just because. Sends Mohammed and causes another bloody stir , holy wars and crusades, division among the believers (Sunnis- Shiites) dividing people and causing even more wars and carnage. And the general argument "then who created us and the universe and all the rest" is worth nothing. It's not that if i don't know the answer to that I can just make up a bigger mystery to cover my ignorance and then call that mystery a dogma that cannot be discussed. It is a scam, man. At least that's how I look at religion, an elaborate scam worked by people who take advantage of our fears to control us. I have been neck deep into religion for decades and now I want no part in that any more. Maybe there is a great force of power above us but he, she or it obviously doesn't care too much about our sufferings... watch this:

12. TrudginAcrossTheTundra

The Bible teaches faith for us to accept the unknown. It also teaches that all things will be revealed.

Do you remember your childhood and have you been a parent?
    The good parents wish to be feared because they are truly loving.

13. TrudginAcrossTheTundra

The c-19?
    :-o

14. jagerhans

jagerhans Far out, man. Lifetime Supporter

Don't pretend you didn't understand. Covid is real. god, i don't think so.

15. TrudginAcrossTheTundra

I guess if you thought I was pretending I didn't understand, then I can see why you wished that God weren't watching you.

16. Rehab44

Rehab44 Members

I will have some if whatever you have been smoking please.

scratcho likes this.
  17. scratcho

scratcho Lifetime Supporter Lifetime Supporter

When one accepts a basic premise, all that follows is accepted without question..

Last edited: Jul 17, 2020
  18. Eric!

Eric! Lifetime Supporter Lifetime Supporter

What do you mean? Explain your remark. I don’t smoke, by the way.

19. guerillabedlam

guerillabedlam _|=|-|=|_

God doesn't want to punish us... God went out on a God-bender throughout the multiverse, as an Almighty one does and upon coming to, he realized he lost his keys and locked himself out of this universe.

jagerhans and scratcho like this.
  20. Rehab44

Rehab44 Members

You didn’t say please.