Why is it...

Discussion in 'Vegetarian' started by neonspectraltoast, Oct 13, 2019.

1. Driftrue

Driftrue Banned

This is how I tend to see it. Walk down the meat aisle in a supermarket.. Bit like a horror film. But it also made me really realize I cannot change anyone else's mind, because unless they have that moment where they see it that way, they won't. And you can't tell them that feeling.

I've never met a vegetarian who doesn't know to check for gelatin and avoid it. Same with rennet in cheese.

Oh dear. I'm betting hemp milk is the most ecologically sound?

2. Asmodean

Asmodean Slo motion rider

Nut juice ;)
    I would have taken his dead bird and consume it in front of him. More dead bird for me! Throwing it away is the worst...

Running Horse likes this.
  3. Asmodean

There's cheese without rennet??

4. Deidre

Deidre Follow thy heart

:nomouth:

5. Asmodean

Hey Deirdre, question :) Don't you eat eggs regularly and always throw away the yellow part? What's the exact reason for that if i may ask?

6. Driftrue

Driftrue Banned

There is vegetarian rennet : )

In the UK many cheddar cheeses have the vegetarian V symbol, in France I only found a vegetarian rennet cheese once, but I am not hard line about this one, I will eat cheese with rennet if it's all that is available.

7. What is rennet.

8. Asmodean

Something out of a dead calfs stomach to make the cheese get its substance. It's kind of weird that there's only that substance (well apparently now there s an alternative but for the longest time there wasn't) suitable to do that to milk. But I have grown used to that quaint fact over the years. But yeah, why is there nothing similar? Why does it has to be from a calf and not a cow or sheep or horse for that matter (well a cow has four stomachs of course, that might be a difference that matters)

9. Driftrue

Driftrue Banned

It's an enzyme. and there have been alternatives since Roman times.

10. You mean something has to be killed for me to eat cheese?

11. Driftrue

Driftrue Banned

Asmo you should read the wiki page on it because you are misinformed here.

12. Driftrue

Driftrue Banned

Unless it's vegetarian cheese, yes.
    I don't know about the states but like I said, most cheese here is non animal rennet. It's apparently cheaper. So just check cheese ingredients.

13. Somehow fish don't seem to have any feelings to me, though, so I still feel okay eating fish. I honestly don't think they feel love like a cow feels love. They're above fearing their own death. Mammals are just different. Too bad there's not fish cheese, am I right? lolololol

14. Asmodean

I know this sounds bad to veggies but its more of a 'byproduct'. But yes, most cheese is made with something from a dead animal. On the positive side: its also made with something of a living animal :-D

I stand corrected. It's just that the far majority of cheese in history as well as present day is made with animal rennet. So it seems there's no good alternative to that yet.

15. Driftrue

Driftrue Banned

From wiki:

Fermentation-produced chymosin is used more often in industrial cheesemaking in North America and Europe today because it is less expensive than animal rennet.[4]

So I think you underestimate non animal rennet. There are many kinds. Most cheddar in UK is vegetarian. Cheeses with specific recipes like Grana padano have to be animal rennet in order to qualify as official or something, even though vegetarian alternatives exist.

16. srgreene

srgreene Members

My hub had some of mine- he didn't much care for it, lol.