Why Is Art Important?

Discussion in 'Art' started by RichardTheFrog, Nov 16, 2014.

1. RichardTheFrog

RichardTheFrog Newbie

Why is art important?

I'm a science guy.

I read history books and when it comes to the art section of each chapter, I don't entirely see the point.

Gothic cathedrals, Michaelangelo, architecture, Shakespeare, etc.

How is this relevant and important?

I'm not saying that it's not. I am just asking if there is something that I'm missing.

2. Tyrsonswood

Tyrsonswood Senior Moment Lifetime Supporter

Appreciation... apparently.

3 people like this.
  3. RichardTheFrog

RichardTheFrog Newbie

Yea I mean the Taj Mahal is beautiful.

4. guerillabedlam

guerillabedlam _|=|-|=|_

Art can capture a particular place in time as well as universals of the human experience, often evoking qualia as well as making some type of statement. Art is a viscereal human experience.

6 people like this.
  5. RichardTheFrog

RichardTheFrog Newbie

6. Piaf

Piaf Senior Member

Yes, soul.

1 person likes this.
  7. Laci

Laci Members

To me, art is important because it's a form of expression. Whether it's architecture, music, sculptures, photography, etc. It's just another medium for self-expression.

Personally, I'm a very visual-artsy minded person. You could give me a book to analyze and I would have no problem, but you give me a basic algebra problem and I'm stumped. Different people see things differently :)

4 people like this.
  8. RichardTheFrog

RichardTheFrog Newbie

Do you mean a fictional book? Or a science textbook? Or both?

9. Laci

Laci Members

I'm talking more Shakespeare, short stories, fictional books, and the occasional non-fiction book.
    I'm good at understanding the English language for the most part, and can find secondary or deeper meaning in texts. For example, I excel at analyzing the meanings of poems that I read at school.

Like I said, some people have an understanding and appreciation for things like reading and writing, and others like yourself have an understanding and appreciation of things like math and science. The world would be a pretty boring place if we all thought the exact same way :)

1 person likes this.
  10. RichardTheFrog

RichardTheFrog Newbie

What is the meaning of a poem for example? Like Robert Frost "The Road Less Travelled"....

it means that sometimes it's good to take the lesser travelled route, right?

So I get it too, don't I?

11. Moonglow181

Moonglow181 Lifetime Supporter Lifetime Supporter

Anything is only as important as you make it to be....and by you ,I mean anyone.....

I love art and making art......would not want to live in a world without it.
    Creativity.....freedom......the beauty of it all.

12. RooRshack

RooRshack On Sabbatical

You should take some acid, man.

2 people like this.
  13. Laci

Laci Members

That could be the meaning, it's all in how an individual interprets it.

And I'm not saying that a person can ONLY see things one way or another- artistically or scientifically minded- but rather that individuals often have a way of thinking that's either one way or another. Sometimes both. I just happen to be a more art-minded person.

To you, art might not be as valuable or important as it is to others.

14. RichardTheFrog

RichardTheFrog Newbie

What do you think is more valuable, art or science? And don't say "both."

Science includes technology and we are all using computers right now, as well as knowledge just for it's own sake such as the geological history of Earth.

Electricity, computers, cars, trains, engines, metallurgy.....

15. RichardTheFrog

RichardTheFrog Newbie

16. Moonglow181

Moonglow181 Lifetime Supporter Lifetime Supporter

^Is someone talking shit about you? I don't see it here.....

Maybe technology and things are more important for societies, sure.....but that does not mean I love art any less....
    It is what I am all about...You are all about something different. that is life....We are not all the same sardines in the same can.

17. RichardTheFrog

RichardTheFrog Newbie

Oh maybe he wasn't, I don't know.

I have a suspicious thought process (paranoid - schizophrenia), maybe I interpret things the wrong way. And it's really hard to tell sarcasm over the internet.

18. scratcho

scratcho Lifetime Supporter Lifetime Supporter

To me, art is one of the highest endeavers in which humans can indulge themselves. Each aspect and type reflects the differences that humans observe about ourselvess

and the world around us. The differences are reflected in the myriad ways in which art manifests and the way each individual receives it. I enjoy most types of artful attempts

at whatever artists chose to interpret their particular visions. I've seen art in the way a man built river rock chimneys in Florida. They were beautiful and perfectly constructed.

I've seen transitory art in a pile of leaves suddenly dancing perfectly in time in the wind to the music I happened to be listening to. Lasted a mere minute.

There can be art in most everything if ones attention is given to observing such.

It's been proven that doing art and especially music is beneficial to young minds. It is much better than what occupies most of humanity.

I find it interesting that the 'money' folks cut art from schools first, when cuts are needed.

1 person likes this.
  19. Piaf

Piaf Senior Member

Why would she have to choose which one is more valuable?
    Your intention is to make a point that science is more important and useful.

20. RichardTheFrog

RichardTheFrog Newbie

What's the most beautiful piece of art in the world? Is it Michaelangelo's David? The Taj Mahal? The Sphinx?