Why is alcohol legal and other things aren't?

Discussion in 'Paranoid?' started by LostNDaWoods, Apr 18, 2007.

1. LostNDaWoods

LostNDaWoods Member

It makes me sad that the government approves the use of alcohol (degenerating, sloppy, and destructive) while condemning the use of drugs like mushrooms and marijuana (mind expanding, relaxing, and peaceful). It is my belief that the only reason for this is that a person on higher plains cannot be controlled. They are afraid of us exploring our minds and thinking for ourselves. imagine a world where all sorts of people have and do experience such things. I admit it would be tricky, some people oughtn't trip for their own good. In a controlled environment tho i think most people would do good with the experience. Basically i think that pot and shrooms should be legalized for ceremonious purposes and excessive alcohol should be stressed as a not good alternative for sobriety (not that it isn't).

Anyone agree and want to expand?

2. 420fuchs

420fuchs speaks the truth.

Check out the marijuana forum, we talk about it a lot

3. Alaskan

Alaskan Hip Forums Supporter HipForums Supporter

The answer is real simple....TAXES, TAXES, TAXES.........

4. moonlightdelerium

moonlightdelerium Senior Member

Yes, since alcohol can be regulated it can be taxed. In the case of Pot, there is no real way to regulate THC levels, the government can't really sell it (yet). In my opinion, alcohol should definitely be seen as a far more dangerous substance than pot or mushrooms (I believe it is seen that way scientifically).

5. TheMadcapSyd

TheMadcapSyd Titanic's captain, yo!

It's also a big culture thing too, aside from people's own beliefs on what is more harmful, alcohol has been a huge part of culture, at least western culture for centruries.

6. mrdude

mrdude Member

Very, very true actually. It's my belief that this is because America is a deep rooted theocracy. And when the Spanish invaded Central America they found the Mayans (I think it may have been the Aztecs though) using these drugs to "communicate" with their gods. This is also found in other early Asian religions. It was declared anti-Christian and sac religious.

So to answer your question the reason you can't walk around smoking weed is the same reason Adam and Steve can't get married, the same reason stem cells can't be used to cure deadly diseases, and the same reason you can't buy beer on Sunday mornings. When you think about it it's all connected.

7. CK420

CK420 Member

wow mrdude
    i have never thought of it like that great answer

8. surferchad122

surferchad122 Member

So, one could go as far as to say that Christianity ruined the world...

9. Zadria

Zadria Member

While I personally do not use marijuana. I would whole heartedly support legalizing it.
    I think alcohol and prescription drugs are more harmful and the cause of much crime then pot its the two are soooo different.

Christianity ruined the world and it's thinking? Perhaps.
    Why do you think they called it the dark ages!!

10. gratefulvegan

gratefulvegan Member

good point mrdude!

11. spooner

spooner is done.

A lot of this is pure fallacy - one of the nicest drunks I've ever met chased me up a tree with an axe when he was shrooming. I've seen people do worse on Sid.

While I don't doubt weed should be legal, arguing that mushrooms are safer than booze is sort of ridiculous.

12. dd3stp233

dd3stp233 -=--=--=-

Shrooms are far safer, physically, then alcohol. Alcohol is toxic, if you ingest too much, it will kill you. According to the National Center for Health Statistics, from 1,393 people whom died in 1998, listed alcohol (direct poisoning) as the primary cause of death. Other agencies such as RID, list as many as 4,000 deaths from alcohol poisoning since NCHS didn't include suicides. This doen't even mention the longer term negeative effects from drinking, thousands of people die each year from. (85,000 people died from alcohol related deaths -Journal of American Medical Association in 2000).

How many people are reported to have died last year from shrooms - 0

13. Stillravenmad

Stillravenmad Member

Because early modernists are full of shit.

I really don't care what people do, frankly. I don't care as long as it doesn't effect me, I should say. Alcohol is legal because it's a lot harder to get people behind banning alcohol than it is to get people behind banning pot. There's no deep dark reason beyond the fact that you're not going to get elected being the guy who wants to make dope legal. Frankly, it's stupid, because pot effects at least my behavior a lot less than booze does. But what can I say? People are stupid.

14. Shisty McShister

Shisty McShister Member

Drugs such as maijuanna and mushrooms are nearly impossible to monopolize. It is of no use to the goverment.

15. Freakymetalchik

Freakymetalchik BITCH.

weed being legal would make everything so much easier!! lol.

16. lifelovefun

lifelovefun Member

Alcohol is legal because it's first effects aren't mind opening. Compared to LSD where 8 hours later your entire life has changed :) That's why good drugs (LSD, Mushies, Mescaline, etc...) are illegal, and bad stuff like alcohol can be purchased by anybody with the cash.

17. omg im a govt spy lo

omg im a govt spy lo Banned

Because the government has microscopic mind control devices in beer! DUH!?

18. badfish420

badfish420 Member

almost everything wrong with this country is because Christianity. religious peoples argument against an atheist is that we have no morals and no reason to not do whatever the hell we want. i cant speak for everyone but as an atheist, i don't steal, i don't put people in danger, i don't cheat, i don't lie. Christians claim these as there morals but they constantly break them. the fact that there argument is we have nothing to hold us back gives you a glimpse into the mind of a Christian. it shows you what these people would be like if they were given freedom to make their own decisions. in the Christian faith there are no consequences just accept jesus at the last second and you live in eternal happiness.

19. nolifer

nolifer Member

i can only say that i wish i lived in Holland

20. themnax

themnax Senior Member

i can answer that with one word: "economics". or two words:"economic interests".

we live in a world where any emparement of judgment puts not only the empared person, but everyone arround them at risk. this is largely if not entirely a resault of so much being set up that way. much of which completely doesn't have to be. nor would there be nearly as much problem with anyone emparing their judgement if it wasn't.

everything can chainge, but some things need to chainge before others so they can do so safely.

and one thing that REALLY need to chainge, is liquor by the glass, in places that can only be gotten to, and more importantly from, by driving a motor vehicule!

where as, sitting at home, smoking a doob or two, of your own weed grown in your own back yard, endangers no one as long as you remain in you're little padded room you've created in which to do so safely, as long as you are under the influence of anything. that, or in a similarly secured ritual situation.

=^^=
    .../\...