Why in a site of forums dedicated to free speech

Discussion in 'The Whiners' started by Shaw-Min, Feb 15, 2009.

1. Shaw-Min

Shaw-Min Member

... can we only choose from a set of preselected avatars? Seems kinda hypocritical to me.

2. stinkfoot

stinkfoot truth

If you dislike what is here you are perfectly free to go elsewhere. :)

3. HushBull

HushBull Insuperior

Pay money

4. raz5

raz5 زینب

eventually you can have your own. at least there is a good amount of them.

and you can still talk freely with out and avatar... it's not a big enough deal to post a thread about it.

5. SpacemanSpiff

SpacemanSpiff Visitor

What the hell do avatars have to do with free speech?:confused:

6. jrnyman

jrnyman kermit

you can totally make your own and upload it. Mine is custom as are a bunch on here. Keep posting and a lot of options open up.

7. SpacemanSpiff

SpacemanSpiff Visitor

Im pretty sure custom avatars are only for supporters;)

8. Shaw-Min

Shaw-Min Member

Admittedly, nothing. But you'd think they'd give us the freedom to create our own.

9. Shaw-Min

Shaw-Min Member

Have you noticed some of the other threads in this forum?

10. lostminty

lostminty Member

the site owner is free to reward as they see fit. The avatars are part of that

You could complain to god that you can't express your desire to be 2 inches high in a physical sense

Freedom doesn't mean that you can go against peoples will, it does mean you are free to choose

11. Shaw-Min

Shaw-Min Member

What?! "Freedom doesn't mean going against people's will"? It means exactly that. Submitting to other's will is the antithesis of freedom.

More freedom would be the freedom to choose my own.

Besides, all the preselected avatars are gay as fuck.

12. White_Horse_Mescalito

White_Horse_Mescalito ""

put on some Tull:D

13. Shaw-Min

Shaw-Min Member

Got some Immortal Technique bumpin'.

14. stinkfoot

stinkfoot truth

Well here we are- you using a free speech site- exercising your freedom to BITCH about avatar selection you seem to feel entitled to. News flash cupcake, you ain't entitled to SHIT. Don't like the avatar selection? Contribute and upload one of your own choice.

Your grandiose self appraisal of your own will as representing that of people in general aside, most end up submitting to the will of another in one form or another.... whether that be holding down a job, entering into a relationship, or whatever. There are generally rules- whether written or implicit- that one must submit to in order to continue with a chosen path in life. Freedom is as elusive a concept as any- because any decision a "free" person makes eliminates other possibilities. If I were to exercise my "freedom" to wander north, I'd restrict myself from going in any other direction... I choose to pursue an art degree then I probably deny myself immediate access to law curriculum... freedom boils down to the right to choose the circumstances of my own imprisonment. Life offers but a singular route for any individual- You've chosen to come here to a site that places a premium on freedom of speech- with literally hundreds of different forums OPEN for your participation- and you choose to nitpick a feature of the site as impinging on your freedom of speech because there isn't an avatar that is to your liking... and you do so in a demanding self-entitled manner that makes me less interested in anything you have to say.

You don't like the site? Leave. NOW!

15. Shaw-Min

Shaw-Min Member

OK, I'm sorry. I really didn't mean to offend anyone. This is the the whiners forum, after all.

But really, I didn't mean to offend you or anyone else, and I offer my sincere apologies. I do really like the site, btw.

16. stinkfoot

stinkfoot truth

No real offense- I was just whining at you in my own special way.

17. Shaw-Min

Shaw-Min Member

Right, I really didn't want to make that big of a deal out of it, because it's really not that big of a deal to me.

And you're right. After all, I do have the freedom to not use any avatar.

18. stinkfoot

stinkfoot truth

It's cool- it's cool

19. Wiseman

Wiseman Senior Member

That's how Stinkfoot shows love. By running you in circles and then punching you in the kidney with his words.

It's pretty impressive stuff.

20. neim

neim Member

that's some big goldstar you got there sport lol