Why I think young teens shouldn't trip

Discussion in 'Psychedelics' started by Sam_Stoned, Apr 5, 2010.

1. The Real Peter Parker

The Real Peter Parker Member

Vote for best post in this thread.

2. Trypthlyamine

Trypthlyamine Member

I hear you, Though I would say considering the natural complexities and differences from mind to mind, generalizations such as this aren't quite accurate. I would point out that the psychedelic experience is an extremely variable thing, it will be interpreted differently by different people, at different points in their life. It is hard to say much more then this, really.

3. pr0ne420

pr0ne420 Senior Member

I honestly think young teens are better off tripping than adults. The closer to the womb, the better. IMO.

4. RooRshack

RooRshack On Sabbatical

Perhaps from a recovery standpoint, but if a 60 year old takes acid too much and triggers schizophrenia or a persisting hallucination syndrome or something, what's the big deal? They can still be happy and deal with it, if a 14 year old triggers one of these disorders, it will seriously affect a much larger portion of their life.

I think most people should trip, for sure, but you should still always weigh the consequences against the benefits... and there ARE higher consequences if you're younger.

5. PB_Smith

PB_Smith Huh? What? Who, me?

The biggest concern I already stated earlier. A teenager hasn't yet developed the repertoire or maturity of emotional responses and coping skills to handle the things that they may be confronted with during an psychedelic experience.

It can be like slapping boxing gloves on a figure skater and sticking them in a ring with Mike Tyson and telling them to go 15 rounds. Gonna get slaughtered because they don't have the skills needed to handle the situation.

That said, it really still does come down to an individual by individual thing. Some teens do possess the coping skills to deal with psychedelics, while some adults may not.
    But just based on life experience alone, most teens don't yet have all the tools in their kit yet.

6. pr0ne420

pr0ne420 Senior Member

Are there? As long as you are smart enough to make sure that there is not a buncha psychosis in your family. I have to disagree with you, I beleive a 14 year old is way more fit for tripping than a 50 year old or whatever. With age comes complication in this day, children are more simple, simple=good for psychedelics.

7. spexxx

spexxx Member

What more are they confronted with than a thought or feeling they "perceive" as "troubling"?

8. pr0ne420

pr0ne420 Senior Member

Plus, we all know that if you drag something in the mud, it will get muddy. Closer to the womb, the better. Less mud.

9. RooRshack

RooRshack On Sabbatical

Exactly why if you care that your mind isn't muddy, and you're super young, you shouldn't go taking psychedelics.

10. spexxx

spexxx Member

Why are you so convinced that taking psychedelics at a young age is bound to result in this "mental mud"?

11. RooRshack

RooRshack On Sabbatical

I didn't say it was, if you where following the conversation. :p

Like I said, it could be less likely, but you stand to lose more if you develop mental problems earlier in life than later, as far as life experience goes. That is a fact.

12. spexxx

spexxx Member

Sounds like an opinion. Mental problems can be rather temporary, no difference for the ones induced by psychedelics. Your "fact" is based upon an assumption that having a mental issue automatically leads way to some sort of mediocre lifestyle, "you stand to lose more!". There are many people who have shown amazing talent in art and mathematics, true brilliant minds, that were also deemed by the "public majority" to have some sort of mental "problem", some of these "problems" include schizophrenia, psychosis, or simple social awkwardness. There really is no saying what the outcome would be when somebody relatively young uses psychedelics.

13. autumnbreeze

autumnbreeze Member

Um...He wasn't saying that at all. He was saying that since you only experience on psychedelics what's already in your mind to begin with, starting earlier is better, because there's less mud. Mud in this case being the build up of difficulties that naturally accumulates as you get older.

I think this follows pretty well. I think the average 40 yo taking acid for the first time is way more likely to have a hard time with it then the average 14 yo.

As to the higher risks of taking it younger, because you have more life to lose... I think we're talking about a 4-8 year time difference, yes? I mean, you advocate kids waiting till their 'a few years older'. So a few years versus a lifetime isn't that huge a difference in loss. Whereas if you believe that psychs are helpful in notably more cases then they are harmful(as appears to be true, from what I can tell), then the aid in those few years could be quite valuable. Especially if we are talking about people who are likely to take it in a few years anyway, and are just as likely to have a long-term psychotic break(fantastically rare, maybe 1 in 1000) then as they would be now.

Not that I'm saying 'hey kids! Do acid!'. Rather, I'm more saying that if/when I have kids, and if/when they show an interest in drugs, I'll sit them down and give them some advice. Pot is probably something they should wait on until they're done with school, as it would likely impair their learning. Hard drugs would be best to avoid altogether. And if they are interested in psychedelics I'd arrange for a guided experience for them, for their first time, in a supportive setting. Maybe with me guiding, or maybe with a professional guide(these do exist, I met several at the MAPS conference). Probably starting with ayahuasca, as it has a huge, fairly well-documented long term usage in children, with little to no notable consequences.

14. pr0ne420

pr0ne420 Senior Member

:cheers2:

That pretty much sums it up

15. PB_Smith

PB_Smith Huh? What? Who, me?

I agree with your thought totally pr0ne, as a matter of fact I said the same thing earlier in the thread;

great minds think alike. :cheers2:

16. pr0ne420

pr0ne420 Senior Member

Righteous brother. What exactly is a microdot?

17. Mr.Writer

Mr.Writer Senior Member

[​IMG]

A pill of LSD.

18. RooRshack

RooRshack On Sabbatical

I'm tired and going to paraphrase you a bit. Not trying to sound curt.

I didn't say that having mental problems will give you a shitty life.

I didn't say they are perminant.

I just said, if you do damage someone who is young, they stand to lose more than an older person.

If it helps:

Young people have MUCH stronger bones than old people. If a young person breaks a bone, it will probably be just fine. But if it doesn't set right or they end up with ghost pain or whatnot for the rest of their life, it's much more damaging to their life than if an old person has a bone heal wrong or develops the same ghost pain nerve problems.

Again, I'm not saying young people shouldn't trip, just that they should be old enough to understand and weigh the negatives, not just eat a pretty piece of paper because someone tells them they'll "trip ballz, dood". Which, more often than not, is how young people end up taking psychedelics.

19. spexxx

spexxx Member

Lol what?
    What negatives?
    you wanna trip ballz wif me dood?

20. RooRshack

RooRshack On Sabbatical

The negatives you're ignoring, that I carefully explained. With every choice there are positive outcomes, and negatives outcomes, and before making the choice, you should weigh the likelihood of a positive outcome against the likelihood of a negative outcome.

Of course you can see the choice in the matter, I love psychedelics. But you can't pretend there are not drawbacks to them, or risks, that's just sticking your head in the sand.... which is quite the opposite of what psychedelics are all about.

Hell yeah, of course I wanna trip ballz wif you, I don't see how that's even a question.:coffee:

I don't see how this is so black and white to some people... there are no drugs that don't have negatives. Unless you're saying "all teens should trip, always, on every psychotropic they encounter" then I don't see how you can disagree with my point of view.... (unless, of course, you think that drugs are bad because jesus said so.) I'm simply saying that caution should be used, I've taken various drugs with PREteens....