Why Don't I Have A Decent Job Yet?

Discussion in 'The Whiners' started by TheSamantha, Feb 9, 2016.

1. TheSamantha

TheSamantha Member

Wow, great idea, thanks! Do you know what they do, just for starters?

2. I'minmyunderwear

I'minmyunderwear Newbie

which is a big part of the reason the few jobs left have a hard time getting filled. qualified people don't hang out in a small town waiting for the one position to come open, so when it does come open there's no one around to hire.

of course, i'm not truly in a small town anyway and still ran into it. i'm in a small city of about 20,000, with several actual small towns and a couple other small cities in commutable distance and there was still nobody. which is why i specified big cities, where all the qualified people in most fields tend to gather.

3. lode

lode Banned

1 person likes this.
  4. TheSamantha

TheSamantha Member

Update: I'm a long term sub at a language school, I do board meeting minutes, I volunteer at a non-profit, and I'm in school working on a certification. :)

1 person likes this.
  5. 6-eyed shaman

6-eyed shaman Sock-eye salmon

Good for you. At least you're now building your credentials to make yourself stand above the other applicants when your ideal job shows up

1 person likes this.
  6. TheSamantha

TheSamantha Member

Thanks! I just met with my job coach for the first time in a while. She helped me with my resume and cover letter, and sent me a bunch of job leads, including teaching English in Brazil or Spain. I'm excited :)

1 person likes this.
  7. Hedohypoxia

Hedohypoxia Members

Cold calling is an effective tactic, but it will take about 50 calls before you get through to someone who gives you an interview. It can backfire as well, so don't cold call a company that is where you ultimately find a really important position you want. But it can impress other people and you will get a job quickly. A job coach isn't worth much nowadays nor is a degree in English. You have to be able to sell your skills. When applying to a non-profit, you need to appeal to their core mission—therefore, EACH contact must be customized to that non-profit. And a lot of non-profits are cliquey so that will make it harder to convince them. The best time to contact each is in the morning on a Friday. MAKE an impression, but DON'T be a nuisance. Good luck!

8. I'minmyunderwear

I'minmyunderwear Newbie

what is the significance of this time?

there is definitely a better and/or worse time to call any potential employers, but i would think it would be a different time for each place, depending on multiple factors.

9. Hedohypoxia

Hedohypoxia Members

We are receptive to ideas which heal the past on Fridays assuming that healing is part of the mission of the non-profit you are trying to join.

10. Asmodean

Asmodean Slo motion rider

Send my credentials to the house of detention. I got some friends insiiide!

11. Vanilla Gorilla

Vanilla Gorilla Go Ape

You said you apply weekly, since October.....and as someone else pointed out, in an industry where hirings are most likely done internally.

You've gone 6 months, applying only once a week, where with maybe only 10% of those jobs external applicants are considered, let alone even looked at.

Try applying 100 times a week

1 person likes this.
  12. Asmodean

I'm afraid you have a point. Applying to only one job a week is in reality simply a bit too less. You really have to be lucky that way.

13. Vanilla Gorilla

Vanilla Gorilla Go Ape

You mean I'm right? Dont worry, you can say it, out loud, dont be shy

;)

14. Asmodean

No, I would say applying 50 times a week is plenty.

15. Vanilla Gorilla

Vanilla Gorilla Go Ape

One more thing, to the OP:

What exactly do you think is non profit?

Forecast to make a profit, then the accounting team and others will just shift funds, budget more for expenses for next year ,likely for those on the board / at the top....also likely to avoid any tax or government penalties...attract somekind of government bonus.

All the little people do better one year become more efficient, those at the top just get bigger expense accounts, so they can remain "non profit"

Why does it have to be non profit?

Whatever metric it is, that determines success rate per case per employee per $ per hour. Why would a non profit be necessarily any better or worse than either government or a private sector one? To whichever immigrant in question, their metric would be whichever is going to help them the most

16. YouFreeMe

YouFreeMe Visitor

I know people who would apply to 10 + jobs a week, and were still searching for a year or more (and one in particular who in their 30's and had multiple graduate degrees). It's daunting and discouraging.

17. Orsino2

Orsino2 Hip Forums Supporter HipForums Supporter

18. StellarCoon

StellarCoon Dr. Professor

Because I'm way too idealistic, way too passionate, way too individualistic to fit into the available cookie-cutter models currently in circulation.

19. I'minmyunderwear

I'minmyunderwear Newbie

this is keeping OP from getting a high paying job typing for a non-profit?

20. Irminsul

Irminsul Valkyrie

You've read the OPs previous forum posts and contributions haven't you? I mean if they're anything like they portray in real life I'm not surprised they cannot land a job either, just saying.