Why does Pennsylvania suck?

Discussion in 'Pennsylvania' started by stonergirl99, Oct 10, 2004.

1. thatblindguy

thatblindguy Member

I don't like PA. There aren't many cool people around my area. I'm hoping to get out of state for college, or at least to Philly. I will admit there is nice scenery though.

2. JimInPhila

JimInPhila Member

Know what you're talking about, thatblindguy. Worked with a doc one time who would say, "There's only two intelligent areas in Pennsylvania, (that is) Pittsburg and Philadelphia.
    The rest is just an extension of West Virginia."
    The more I see and read about the state, the more I agree with him.

3. Sig

Sig Senior Member

While PA is certainly odd in the truest sense of the word, I always have a good time when I visit. Trying really hard to get back there right.

4. GardenGuy

GardenGuy Senior Member

This is slightly off-topic, but I wish there were an "Atlas of Coolness" that hippies and free spirits could thumb through and find the places where kindred spirits live. You go to certain little towns and the coolness factor is way off the chart, but you've maybe never heard of this place, you simply stumble across it. I am not a city boy, but I go there to learn and find inspiration and then go back to where there is plenty of space and green things (and not too many red necks?)

5. pensfan13

pensfan13 Senior Member

You only need to recognize the signs of coolness. I know nothing about austin texas but i know they are a bit different from the rest of the state. The events i see that go on there scream of free spirited people and also portland oregon. I guess the internet is an atlas of coolness somewhat.

6. GardenGuy

GardenGuy Senior Member

Yes, once you get there, you do realize right away that you are not in Kansas anymore. And there probably is some place on the Internet where cool towns are listed.
    [​IMG]
    Keep Pennsylvania Weird...

7. Satan4Life

Satan4Life Guest

The Lehigh Valley and the surrounding area is actually pretty nice. There is a huge music scene there, its in driving distance from Philly and NYC, a lot of music festivals happen in or near the area and the pot is good there.

8. jaredfelix

jaredfelix Namaste ॐ

PA says the same thing about you.. I love it here...

9. GardenGuy

GardenGuy Senior Member

jaredfelix, sometimes circumstance puts you someplace where the land has been abused and neglected, where the culture tends to have the wrong values, but you can't always pull up stakes and move. If you are one of the ones who feels call to stay and fight to make a bad place good or a good place better, then people will rise up and call you blessed!

I know that some people had to leave Detroit for instance. Things got so bad there even some of the squirrels had to dig up their nuts and move to Wisconsin. Are there people that desperate in PA? I hope not, but everyone has to make up their own mind about how to handle their own circumstances.

10. TAZER-69

TAZER-69 Listen To Your Heart! Lifetime Supporter

I know some pretty good people from there. I want to visit there soon!

11. Goldsurf

Goldsurf Member

I have camped at numerous festivals in Pa, my band has played a few gigs in Pa. and I've met some of the greatest people there as well.
    Actually, my plans include a move there in the next 6-8 months. No complaints here.
    ....and remember, the grass isn't.....in fact it's rarely, greener!!!!

12. JimInPhila

JimInPhila Member

Goldsurf,
    Good luck with the move. Hope you enjoy it.
    Just a Head's Up...Be very careful where you move. Some areas are liberal, others are extremely conservative in ways you couldn't imagine.

13. Smokinjoe

Smokinjoe Member

Im from SW pa abot hr from pa if anyone wants to chill :)

14. MattyDigs

MattyDigs Member

uhh. Southeast Pa. Close to Philly. Just sayin... :?

Also, I grew up in a beautiful town called Newtown, Pa. It is by no means an extension of WV (I should know, my relatives are from there). There were lots of different kinds of people (hippies too ;) ) and some extremely intelligent folks, much smarter than I. Don't generalize too much homey ;)

15. madman32x

madman32x Member

there are some cool people around.. just gotta look for them, and look in the right places.

16. jeremysdemo

jeremysdemo Member

^^^looks like fuzzy bunny slippers or Crystal rocks...^^^^

the reason PA sucks cow balls lately is Shitcorbette.

he has taken everything Rendell did and reversed it, raped our game/park land and stole money from our kids education.

17. AceK

AceK Scientia Potentia Est

Interstate speed limit way too slow

18. JimInPhila

JimInPhila Member

Got that right! Can't wait til November, hopefully we'll send him packing.

19. jeremysdemo

jeremysdemo Member

we better!

I just hope the votes against don't get divided among too many candidates like green party, etc.

don't get me wrong I love the green party and all they stand for, some good friends of mine, but vote division is a big problem and their candidates often don't have enough to win by themselves, but those votes could have went to an equally helpful, but maybe not as progressive, democrat.

just my 2c.

jerm :sunny:

20. jeremysdemo

jeremysdemo Member

Jim,

what do you think of Hanger?

I'm kinda leery of voting for anyone who's sole campaign promise is MJ legalization, I mean there are other things in the state right now to consider....

that being said I want my vote to count, so the many candidates I know that would reform PA are not going to have enough clout to win.