Why Does God Allow Suffering?

Discussion in 'Sanctuary' started by thefutureawaits, Apr 9, 2015.

1. Ged

Ged Tits and Thigh Man.

Suffering enables us to grow and become more compassionate. It is an inevitable part of life on a planet that cannot be perfect and safe for everyone at all times. Without a degree of chaos nothing would have evolved to the point where we are now. Without catastrophe there would be no evolution. The dinosaurs would still be on the Earth. God,if you will,is immanently powerful,but cannot create a World such as without suffering because then we would not be human such as we are. Of course we should alleviate suffering as much as possible but not to the point of being afraid to take chances. We have
    pain receptors in our body which can cause intense suffering when our body is damaged or sick,but without such a mechanism we would not be aware of damage to our bodies and would perish. Evil,the dark shadowy forces,greed and malice define humanity just as much as our instinct for compassion,mercy and benevolence. A mature and examined life should learn to accept what is,in order to change for the better what will be.

2. Desos

Desos Senior Member

and there is no record of any cherubim being in the garden of eden except after the fall of man. at which point cherubim were placed guarding the tree of life.

3. pensfan13

pensfan13 Senior Member

To make you work to live.

4. SpacemanSpiff

SpacemanSpiff Visitor

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4Ao-zs-5D-0

5. Chodpa

Chodpa Senior Member

first rule of all religion from buddha is no god
    prevents
    sickness
    aging
    suffering
    death

thank you come again

6. JPN2

JPN2 Supporters HipForums Supporter

The so called human race allows or creates suffering.

7. jpdonleavy

jpdonleavy Members

Everybody posting in this thread would have eaten the apple

8. tikoo

tikoo Senior Member

When is suffering imaginary ? Those who are devoted to help the suffering will know . God's grace delivers this existential knowing .

9. Adamskiffle

Adamskiffle Members

Because it deepens the meaning and value of happiness & of not suffering & all of the effort that goes into avoiding such intense pain.

10. Eric!

Eric! Lifetime Supporter Lifetime Supporter

If God was to intervene all the the time, we would never learn to be humble. Someone posted already that PEOPLE are the cause for suffering and I couldn't agree more. God will intervene when the time is right, at not by our time. Remember, Jesus was crucified and died on the cross...did God intervene? No.

11. Monkey Boy

Monkey Boy Senior Member

There's two kinds of suffering. Pain and losing someone or something. Pain is just the opposite of pleasure. A stimulus in the body. Mental suffering is caused by believing or putting your trust in something that can change or isn't true. For example, if you believe that your identity is determined by what people say about you then if someone says something bad it will cause suffering. If you believe you are what you have then if you lose a possession you lose yourself and will suffer. If you believe you are what you do then if you can't do that action you lose yourself and suffer. Once you know yourself then you can achieve peace and stability and that can eliminate a lot of the suffering.

12. tumbling.dice

tumbling.dice Visitor

Why does God allow animals to suffer? Or babies? What function does that serve?

13. Asmodean

Asmodean Slo motion rider

If you give a specific example, Tumbling, others and most likely you yourself too can explain whats the purpose of an animal experiencing suffering.
    It's not like God bestowes a portion of suffering on living beings though or allows it to happen (or even more crazy: allows an evil entity like Satan or something to bring pain and sorrow into this world).
    Just because we have the imagination to come up with the concept of an utopian world without any kind of suffering does not mean God is denying us such a world.

14. Deidre

Deidre Visitor

As a former Christian, I used to think it is because God created everyone to have the freedom to choose and there are innocent people who will get hurt over how others choose. I follow a more eclectic approach to spirituality now where I think there's some great beliefs in many faiths but not sure if there is one "objective" truth out there. Idk.

15. Asmodean

Facts are objective, truths are derived from facts and often tainted to some degree.

16. tikoo

tikoo Senior Member

Guru Jesus did not seem to believe poverty is suffering . The Church of Eternal Prosperity says it is .

17. thefutureawaits

thefutureawaits Members

I would not of ate it. God said not to. He created me and my surroundings. I don't need it

18. Asmodean

^
    Lol

Discipline issues? You said you wouldn't come back here

19. morrow

morrow Visitor

If! There is a god.. he gave man the ability to have tools, and make decisions..

It's man creates the suffering and the ignorance that makes it carry on..

20. Asmodean

^
    Not all suffering comes from people. Nature is harsh and undeniably causes suffering on itself. But its not something God bestowed on us as a punishment or something. It's how this universe works in all its glory. We either experience nothing at all or the full package :p
    But I agree: a lot of the needless suffering is caused by humans. Especially needless since we progressed to such an extent (tecnologically) we clearly could do better.