Why do young people listen to oldies?

Discussion in 'Music' started by punkrocker_chris32, Oct 27, 2004.

1. twiztidrainbow

twiztidrainbow Senior Member

Haha, I definitely with this one. :)

2. A Clockwork Orange*

A Clockwork Orange* Member

Because New music often isn't any good, that's not Oasis though

3. Art Delfo

Art Delfo It is dark

Have you herd new music?Most of whats on the charts sucks thats why we go to the past for better music.I also listen 2 groops that that are diffent and not popular.

4. A Clockwork Orange*

A Clockwork Orange* Member

New groups aren't popular anymore though, anyone can get to number 1 now

5. Art Delfo

Art Delfo It is dark

Last time I checked the Queen of fake music Brinty Spears was still on the charts.

6. shaggie

shaggie Senior Member

Yeah. I don't recall any rock groups from the 60s living off of cheap remixes of tunes from the 30s and 40s.

Rap has gone on now for a couple decades with no end in sight. As much as people today complain about disco, it was only really popular for a few years in the late 70s, which is short compared with the duration of rap.

7. hiddendoor

hiddendoor Member

this is true, many of them just recycled old blues riffs instead ;)

8. Rar1013

Rar1013 GroovaMama

The muisc is classic and timeless . much better than some of the soulless garbage out there today..:)

9. SilverClover14

SilverClover14 Senior Member

I go back even further and say my favorite type of music is big band type stuff from the 40s when there were actually DECENT singers. So much soul in the voices of Frank Sinatra, Bing Crosby, and all the rest.

Today music is just mass produced to get a few bucks. I do listen to alot of new music, mostly underground but in certain moods I'll even listen to Ashlee Simpson. Really, I'm an audiowhore and listen to everything, but mainly early 90s and 30s-70s (not counting disco)era music.

10. StonerBill

StonerBill Learn

well in the 60's, people suddenly realised they can make music outside the many bounds of blues and rocknroll and stuff and really get into just making music that sounds good.

so much stuff had not been done, and then it was done, and now it has been done. in order to keep progressing, music has had to become more diverse, to suit more specific tastes, because the general tastes have gone through good music and is now into the culture of the music instread of the music itself. nowadays, its harder to find good music and even harder to find good music that touches you individually, because heaps has been done already.

if you get a guitar and strum a few random chords, chances are theyve been used a few tiems already.

the biggest problem hwoever in contemporary music is the focus on death, angst, violence, sex, etc. its just.. not cool when its taken serious? i mean, i listen to metal but i never take the lyrics to heart. but it seems that what people are doing.

but yeh, wve gone through all the good music and so in order for music to survive, it has to become more specific in genre and more obscurely pleasurable.

good music is still happening. its just harder to find.

and someone said the music icons will never be back? i think thats bullshit. the problem is simply that we dont have any.

musicians are no longer taking political sides and getting into the media.
    in the end, there is a big mountain, and in the 60's and 70's, people climbed up and yelled down to the people below.
    nowadays, theres OHS rules and if someone runs up teh side of the mountain, people are like yeh whatever. (unless its people running up a track someone else has alreayd made, dressed up as that person, which is what covers the mountain today)

however all teh original artists are digging tunnels and taking inside routs up themountain, or around the back or not even going up the mountain, as a statement, etc. theres jsut people sittin all over the place, whereas once there were just dudes running up the mountain and doing awesome shit.

the one thing i dislike about contemprary mindset is 'old music was good, new music sucks, lets bring back old music'
    it completely ignores the idea of old music, ie, it was new, never done before, it was fresh, deviating from the previous, not trying to recreate it.

we should be doing that. FINDING new good music, rather than polishing and making plastic moulds of old music.

because thats waht needs to be done, its harder to find, so now we have to actively search and look for something good.

the musicians of the oldies era had so much freedom on what was done or not, but had nothing much to take from. nowadays musicians have to be smart not to copy (or TO copy) other artists, and have an encyclopaedia of music to look at and learn from.

this is anotehr reason why music was once better. it all came from within, rather from the judging and repackaging of previous music.

this is why i respect dance vitruoso's. i dont like it much. but its a whole new style that has managed to captivate people, without any angst or anythin, just feeling and beat.

yeh if you think all new music sucks then your and idio, but if you cant understand why someopne listens to music that was created before they were born, your an even bigger idiot. it also shows why your listneing to music at all.. as a fashion statement. but then again so are lots of people who listen to retro music these days. hell thats hwat music is these days

11. beautifulhippie2

beautifulhippie2 TyeDyeChicka!

12. Mui

Mui Senior Member

I've been away from hipforums for too long... which is good because i dont need to listen to the idiots on hipforums, but than I miss threads like this which are just funny. and now my reply will have to go on page 14... oh well..

Underoath is a christian hardcore band... they use growling and screaming vocals with backup singing vocals... but they are hilarious becuase
    1. Their moshpits consist of 16-21 year old scene chicks that cant really mosh
    2. You can sit back and listen to them scream about Jesus...
    "I LOVE YOU!. JESUS" just doesnt seem that hardcore to me.

Its just funny that you would suggest them over hendrix or the beatles... i like underoath coz they have a good vocalist and a good guitarist but their lyrics are shitty and wtf are they doing screaming about jesus for? but i dont see how you could recommend them over hendrix or the beatles or something like that.

Why you listen to that shitty christian straight edge hardcore when u can listen to some nice brutal hxc like HeWhoCorrupts?

13. austin69

austin69 Member

New music is good (few times) But the old music seemed more real. It wasnt sung JUST for money. More for feelings and expression.

14. SpliffVortex

SpliffVortex Senior Member

15. SpliffVortex

with the garbage music bands since the mid 90s "save a few" can you actually blame them for lisening to quality music done by quality musicians.

16. ziggyfly

ziggyfly Member

Basicaly todays music sucks... And its all really simple and about the same thing.. and the artists are slutty.. and try to sing stuff that makes people kill them selfs.. basically The 60's and 70's music kiss all other time era's Assses!

17. SpliffVortex

This are the concert that i was lucky enough to go ..starting the summer of 1972 ,Alice cooper = last Killer tour, Emerson Lake & Palmer, Black Sabbath , Jethru T, Quick Silver Messanger Service + with the Chambers Brothers,Chuck Berry, Ted Nugent and the Amboy Dukes, im half a sleep i cant remember a few more. all this bands had 1 or 2 opening bands i cant remember exept for Quick with Chamber Brother this one ill never forget . This concerts were all under $8.00 average was $6.50. This guys had to work very hard for that money. fly here Bus there etc etc. Jet Lag and of course Drugs and alcohol to ease the pain. This bands this days are pathetic save a few. and concert tickets prices and decent drugs are not for the average teen any more. "or adults" . 1973 was not as good as 1972 but i did see Sabbath again , Alice cooper = Billion dollar Babies ONE of the most bizard and elaborated stage ever. if you took acid in this one good chance you were going to freak out or have the strangest trip ever. i really feel bad for the music& concerts this teen today did miss. and the air was much difrent and friendlier not a = "in any second a riot might break out" or a nasty fight. back then was more like relax sit back smoke and enjoy the show "MUSIC" and only Alice had the best visual special effect . not silly fire work either a stage show.

18. Jennifer19

Jennifer19 Senior Member

I think its good music.

19. shaggie

shaggie Senior Member

I don't know about that. There were jazz people like Miles Davis who took rock and roll music and mixed it with jazz. You could say some jazz players in the 60s copied rock music to some extent. Many of the early Beatles tunes had chord changes very similar to folk music. Yet they still put a lot of work into their music and the songs themselves were original.

Either way, that type of activity is more of a synthesis, as opposed to simply taking old songs and remixing the tracks. Mixing two genres of music to create something new is more difficult than remixing tracks of the same song.

20. SpliffVortex

TRACING rocks roots is slight complicated to put it in a short sentence . no doubts blacks had most of the influence. a couple of white boys refined it and restyle it for whites audience the british took it and went futher with it americans reclaim it again. then from there so many unique styles branch out . but the best was from 1966 to 1972 .. 73 was a strange feeling by 1974 you knew something terribly wrong went with the music. we never recover from 1975.