Why do you think humans lost their fur?

Discussion in 'Science and Technology' started by unfocusedanakin, Feb 3, 2019.

1. Meliai

Meliai Banned

I either watched the same thing or something similar :p

Evolutionary science is interesting

2. storch

storch banned

They sweat through their paws.

3. fem_fatale

fem_fatale Members

It’s obviously all part of the plan the aliens who created us have in mind. We’ll find out soon.

4. MeAgain

MeAgain Dazed & Confused Lifetime Supporter Super Moderator

I don't think dogs are great long distance runners in the heat, but I could be wrong. They can't regulate their heat very well and need plenty of water.
    And remember there are many types of dogs. Long legged ones can run farther, heavy coats are a detriment in the heat and light coats are bad in the cold. Snub nosed dogs have difficulty breathing and some breeds have delicate paws.
    Humans are built for long distance running.
    This brings to mind a book I have from the 1800's put out by the Smithsonian documenting the western Indians. In the section on the Seri Indians of Mexico examples are given of Seri males out running horses, wrestling them to the ground and killing them with their bare hands. While barefoot.
    This picture is from the book:
    [​IMG]

5. deleted

deleted Visitor

long distance runner what you holding out for?

6. unfocusedanakin

unfocusedanakin The Archaic Revival Lifetime Supporter

The Bible says man is created in the image of God. If that was some sort of ancient alien maybe they were hairless. But the ancient alien theory is not mainstream science at all.

Irminsul likes this.
  7. Irminsul

Irminsul Valkyrie

There's multiple ancient alien theories out there, so you have to be specific.

There seems to be a big evolutionary gap between ourselves and earlier models such as I've read our brain size seemed to have rapidly grow by up to 55% in a short amount of time which negates Darwins theory that evolution does not jump in advancement but it clearly did.

Fashioned to look like the gods, the gods also found it almost impossible to not mingle in the sexual affairs of their creations, simply put, we were created to be more attractive than apes.

8. relaxxx

relaxxx Senior Member

Obviously when humans invented wearing pelts and leather clothing. It's much more advantageous to be able to remove your fur when you're hot. Clothing is more versatile, you can clean yourself better, you can swap your clothing, it protects you better, you can dry off by removing, swapping clothes... Head and face hair is not as convenient to replace with leather or pelt, obstructs vision and head movement. Hats are not always ideal but male baldness is also common so it's possible men could have completely lost scalp hair for hats.

It's true, humans are best at endurance, other animals can run faster but they can't run for days straight.

6-eyed shaman likes this.
  9. Maybe they thought it might get them more dates.

Deidre likes this.
  10. 6-eyed shaman

6-eyed shaman Sock-eye salmon

Well, Darwinism says that the desirable traits are more likely to be passed on. So at some point, less hair was eventually deemed more desirable for procreation.

11. Irminsul

Irminsul Valkyrie

If Darwin theory were true, we wouldn't have even come to the evolution stage to even comprehend the question. The human body all but negates his theory, and on the slight chance the guy is right, then our history needs to be rewritten.

12. storch

storch banned

A little research uncovered this guy. His name is Cliff Young. He was 61 years old when he won the Westfield Sydney to Melbourne Ultramarathon in Australia by running nonstop for 544 miles. It took him 5 days, 15 hours, and 45 minutes. He was also a vegetarian.

Some African Wild Dogs were asked what they thought of Young's feat. They all expressed great amazement that he wasn't chasing anything, nor being chased. They then conceded that there is much about humans that they just don't understand.

One week later, some local Dingoes lodged a complaint with the organizers of the race. They were quite disgruntled. A Dingo representative speaking off the record said, "Why the *expletive* were African Wild Dogs asked for their input? We're from the *expletive* area."
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Feb 5, 2019
    Driftrue likes this.
  13. Okiefreak

Okiefreak Senior Member

Humans probably lost the hair of their chimp ancestors long before they migrated to Europe. There are at least four theories as to why this happened, some more plausible than others. First, the theory that as humans left the cool forests for the savannah, they had to shed their fur to keep from overheating. Of course, this would present the problem of over-cooling at night, but that could be remedied if humans had developed fire and the ability to make clothing and shelter. This ties in with what people have been saying about sweating. Humans adapted to hunting large game animals on the savannah, which required endurance running. Having some hair, on the head, would protect from the sun and provide warmth when it gets cold at night. And not having it on the palms and wrists would help in making tools. A second possibility or contributing factor is the reduction of vulnerability to external parasites--ticks, etc. Third, hairlessness has social and sexual advantages--in reading emotions like blushing and in providing greater tactile exposure. Desmond Morris in The Naked Ape advanced the theory that this contributed to the pair bonding that was vital to human society, although I'd think it could also contribute to promiscuity. Fourth, there is the "aquatic ape" theory that our ancestors spent time foraging for food in shallow water where fur provided little insulaton. There seems to be little paleontological evidence for this.
    Our weird lack of hair may be the key to our success
    Why Humans and Their Fur Parted Ways
    Why Did Humans Lose Their Fur? | Science | Smithsonian
    What is the latest theory of why humans lost their body hair? Why are we the only hairless primate?
    Why People Lost Their Fur
    Why humans lost their body hair: to stop their brains from overheating

unfocusedanakin likes this.
  14. hotwater

hotwater Senior Member Lifetime Supporter

What reason other than adaptation?

Our upright bipedal locomotion allowed us to forage for food out in the hot sun of the African Savannah whereas our common ancestor the ape lived in the jungle under the canopy where it was cooler.

Without shedding out fur (or adapting to our new conditions) we would have overheated under the hot sun.

15. MeAgain

I thought this was a joke, but apparently he did it!
    I just wonder about how much water he drank, if he ate, and if he stopped for "personal reasons".

16. storch

storch banned

Yes, he did stop to eat and use the toilet. He had wanted to wear a diaper and some very baggy plastic underwear over it in order to eliminate the need to stop, but his friends talked him out of it by reminding him of how much he hated diaper rash and the smell of days-old feces. He argued that he could handle the diaper rash if he put his mind to it, and that the smell of his own feces wouldn't be an issue as long as he didn't stop. But his friends urged him to think about the runners that might be close behind him, and to consider proper etiquette.

But I was just joking about comments made by the African Wild Dogs and the disgruntled Dingoes. When interviewed, both groups offered their unreserved congratulations.

17. MeAgain

Yeah, I caught the joke n the second part.
    Figgin amazing, that's about an average 4 miles per hour not counting stops.
    About 100 miles a day! I've hiked 20 miles a day and that's a lot!

18. Driftrue

Driftrue Banned

I love reading about ultra runners. Not because I want to run that far, but because it makes any distance I do want to run seem attainable. They're pace setters for all of humanity's runners.

19. storch

storch banned

Well yeah, part of the joke was my making out that you needed to be told that the part about the talking dogs was a joke.

20. maxmayer

maxmayer Members

It was too hot for them to live comfortable.. so they decide to cut it off